What I learned from the Gov Shutdown

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thunder5Ranch, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I thought the whole one paycheck from ruin crap was ridiculous. The media played it like a violin and blamed Trump for it all. Glad I have no debt.

2. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Same here in being self employed or rather employed by my Corp. I have basically from April through October to make every dime I can and if I am really lucky will be able to run into November. It is a given that December, January, February and March that I am not going to earn very little if anything. That is my choice and it works well enough for me as I put a % of each weeks sales into a coffee can to pay myself the same as if it were working season. Also keep a different set of cans for emergency funding that will keep me going financially for 6 years without having to tighten the belt and 10 years if i need to really ration it out. Also getting married the second time was not all bad, although still not sure how I managed to snag a Government Investigator fer a wife.......... given my general anti Government outlook LOL.

3. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

And it would seem the general population of the asylum bought the propaganda machines BS hook line and sinker.

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@Wild Trapper WT, just do a Look Up of your Callsign on QRZ.COM, and the in Details, look at the Issue Date... if it is less than 10 years ago you Good to Go....

5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

When people build their lives around precisely living paycheck to paycheck, yeah of course thats trumps fault.
    What you don't see it?

6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Congress knows the Trump was elected because he promised to build the wall. And congress is fighting the president they are fighting the people of the US . Plain and simple.
    When it cam to Obama getting his way they had little hesitation over the Obama care and took no time to review the issues , which was completely wrong .

7. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Hmm, all this talk of HAM license renewal reminds me I'd better get on the FCC website and do some checking. Been awhile and I'd really hate to allow something that valuable to lapse, especially since I'm planning to make more use of it in the future.

Update - good to go 'til April 2022

8. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I learned that it wasn't long enough. And as soon as they signed approval for backpay .. it was all smoke and mirrors.

3cyl, Seepalaces and Wild Trapper like this.
  9. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I am going to be sure to have my tax return filed before it gets shut down again...

10. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

I went back on the FCC site, signed in and found that I could choose to either download or receive a printed copy from the FCC. The option to download is pretty much instant as long as a person has a working printer to send a pdf file to, which I do, so I now have my renewed license to HAM. :) I'm good to 2-2-2029. It did take me a while to find the download file and how to get it, they don't make it simple, does the gov ever?

Also, if you have tried to get your license or are waiting for it, you have to choose to get a printed copy as I found a page for that and it asks if you want the printed copy, it is already automatically selected (NO) on the page, so I left it that way and just downloaded mine.

This could be the reason I never got mine in the mail, as I had renewed at least a month before the shut down then just assumed I'd get it in the mail. They don't send it unless you select (YES).

Seepalaces likes this.
  11. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if I can renew for longer than 10 years or if I renew now (with 2 years left) if it tacks it on? Trying to log on and it's been a PITA to reset my password. Not trying to be lazy, just asking instead of reinventing the wheel if anyone already knows. :)

Seepalaces likes this.
  12. BTPost

You can renew only before one Quarter of when your current License Expires... but you are given a ONE year Grace Period to renew without ReTesting if you let your license Expire....

Seepalaces likes this.
  13. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

@BTPost - Thank you sir, you posted that about the time I figured out how to reset my password. :) Downloaded a reference copy of my license and requested a new one be sent.

And I finally found how to download an official copy. It's called a "Digital Authorization"...*sigh*.

Cruisin Sloth, Zimmy and Wild Trapper like this.
  14. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

This was just political grandstanding, nothing more. It effected very few people. No more then all other non-gov people go thru daily themselves. If you are hired by the Gov, you know you are at the whim of budgets. The Coast Guard not being paid irritated me they put their lives out there every single day. I think they need to move this under the Navy, not DHS.

SB21, Wild Trapper and ghrit like this.
  15. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Here in the mitten we have a lot of coasties. Also, we have a lot of communities that support them. Heard of restaurants, mom and pop stores, laundromats helping the coasties in their communites. Meals, food and supplies, etc.

Wild Trapper, Alf60 and Salted Weapon like this.
  16. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I would love see Trump do an executive order stating all of congress’s pay is one of the 1st to be cut in a shutdown. You would never see a shutdown again. And that political tool would never be used again.

Salted Weapon and Wild Trapper like this.
  17. BTPost

The Executive Branch has NO SAY in the Congress Pay Schedule... That is done thru Statutes passed by each Body, Independently and then signed by the President... This is the only time the President has ANYTHING to do with Congressional Pay....

oldman11 likes this.
  18. BenP

BenP Monkey++

What I learned is that Lindsey Graham seems to have tremendous sway over the president. He met with the president the day before he caved and announced that he told the president to cave.

Salted Weapon likes this.
  19. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

Give and inch.................they take everything.
    In a country that says we won't comply with terrorist, they sure allow allot of compromise in everything else.
    Compromise is a good thing. But its not a compromise when all you do is give and all they do is take.
    This is how people get divorced as well.

Thunder5Ranch likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7