What If... Lost in Alaska

Discussion in 'Survival Topic of the Month' started by Dunerunner, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Start a forest fire. People will come.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just a few NOTEs here: Most lakes in the interior are less than 30ft deep, much less... Forest Fires are dang hard to start in an ALASKA RAIN FOREST... Brush Fires in the winter do NOT stay lite, and in the summer are more likely to turn on you and singe you Arse...

On another note, this type of senerio actually happened to the son of a Good friend of ours... He was a Bush Pilot, and went on a hunting Trip to the south side of the Brooks Range, with a Hunting Buddy, and his 14 year old son... They landed at the camp site on a lake, and setup camp.... Then my friend and the buddy took off to go scouting, while leaving the boy at camp, to start supper... They crashed the plane, into the side of a mountain, and both were killed... The son spent three nights alone at the Camp, and finally, used his Signal Mirror, to flag down a plane that happened to be flying by... State Troopers just made it in, to pickup the Son, before the Wx closed in, for a week... They scouted for the crash site, as soon as the Wx cleared, and found it on the third day, but were unable to land, and recover anything... Till the next spring... Just a burned Spot, on the side of the mountain, and some tubing, an engine, and that was about all that was left.. Very sad tale, but the kid had a TON of Bush Moxy, and did just fine...

STANGF150, Zimmy, Oltymer and 5 others like this.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Can I get a refund?

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

@Dunerunner, I am not familiar with the Zunden fire starter. Better than Light My Fire?

5. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Problem is, I'm from the Lower 48 and have no idea any of that goes on. I'd go with my plan. :D

6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

After swimming to shore, my mind immediately springs into survival-mode while my buddy stands on the shore line trying to engage me in a debate of,"how deep do you think the lake is?" After giving him one of those looks, I proceed to find a spot that will be good for a shelter. I know that I will need to fire pit to help warm us because it is chilly and the temp will drop when the sun sets. The fire pit can either be in the ground or ring with rocks. If there is an abundance of rocks near, I know put some extra ones near the fire to use as warm during the night.

Once I get the fire going, I walk over to my buddy to encourage him to move to the fire or maybe start doing something. He tells me that we need to signal for help then describes his plan of setting the lake on fire. I now have to assume that my hunting buddy has an addled brain and must have hit his head during the crash.

I convince my addle-brain buddy to collect pine branches for a shelter and to help create smoke. It is a trying chore because he is determined that we should throw the branches on the lake. I quietly remove the laces from the dry boots knowing I may have to tie my buddy to a tree if his thinking doesn't get better. I do not want him wandering off.

It has only been a few hours since we crashed, it is going to be a long night, I say a prayer that help comes soon.......

7. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Or you could just shoot him in the leg.

That will not only keep him from wandering off, it'll attract bears.

Bears are yummy and carry warm blankets around with them.

Cam you skin grizz?

8. mrghostwalker

mrghostwalker Monkey+++

Read the book, "Hatchet" before leaving for your hunting trip.
    Your "what-if" scenario is almost the same. It's a classic book about a young boy who gets stranded in the wilds after a plan crash.

Zimmy, Gator 45/70, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  9. BTPost

@TnAndy If you are going to hunt in Alaska you had better do your Due Diligence, on the area you plan to hunt, as well as the Alaskan Guide REQUIRED to do your hunt... If you go with your plan, 8 times out of 10, you will DIE... Just the Fact of the case...

oldman11, Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  10. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Take my sat phone out of the waterproof bag in my pocket and order a pizza to be dropped off by another local pilot. Catch a ride back to town with them after finishig said pizza.

Zimmy, Mindy Sue, oldman11 and 4 others like this.
  11. BTPost

and a Side NOTE, here: The NTSB just announced that they have located the Guardian LifeFlight Aircraft (King Twin Air) that was lost a couple of weeks ago, near Kake, Alaska.... It is in Fredrick Sound, north of Kake, AK, and more than 40 Fathoms of water... What they located in the ELT Signal from the Aircraft, by towing an underwater Antenna behind a Vessel... Next step is to use a submersible ROV to actually get pictures of the Aircraft, and then raise it for inspection...

12. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Oh, I agree. But that wasn't in the scenario posted. And the guide changed location in flight.....so I'm sitting there soaking wet, thinking NOBODY has a clue where we went to even start looking......I'd start moving.

Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  13. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

14. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Realize that even in that depth of water an aircraft with one whole pontoon may not sink initially, one starts a fire the other may head back and see how deep the aircraft is... if viable start taking things out.... if temp is low... when you get out one gets dry clothes and makes the fire to dry out the wet clothes, second gets the sleeping bag for warmth... next is set up shelter not far from lake... (water/food source)... take an inventory of available resources....

15. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

1/2" ferro...took that to mean 1/2" long not 1/2" diameter. Haha. Been wondering what you were smoking even packing a ferro rod shorter than a zippo.

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Mai, If you scared just say you scared!

oldman11 likes this.
  17. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

It's day three.... and you have built a fire pit, constructed a shelter, dried your clothing, worked out a watch schedule for signaling searchers, feeding the fire and guarding against predators. While walking the shoreline this morning, you and your buddy find one of the pontoons and hanging from the strut, another dry bag. The bag contains another sleeping bag, a set of dry clothes and boots, two boxes of .44 Magnum ammunition and a cook set. You haven't seen nor heard any search planes, you have not been able to find food.

How do you utilize the new found goodies to help you survive?

18. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

God, hopefully I see it before he does, and get to hide everything but the sleeping bag and clothes. We get 2 boxes of ammo, we gonna be here for a while...or at least he is. They find us, he gonna send the rescue party back for a rifle and some camping gear. Never see him again.

If we both see it, NO way we are not going hunting. If it's been 3 days, we will at least have the goods to make a few fish traps started, and be working on getting a trap line going. Should not be too hard to find something I can twist some cordage up out of. Probably have an atlatl , and maybe have a bow stave propped up if their is any decent wood around.
    Also, when you say "guard against predators", I read "hunting". We didn't come all this way not to eat something.

STANGF150 and Dunerunner like this.
  19. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

I gotta admit, my first thought would probably be "I can build a house here and live forever without any regulations or taxes..."

20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

My gear in the bag would have the capacity to float on it's own , so that while still in flight ,knowing it is going to crash I'd be making ready for the impact and the water. If you climb, fight fire, or do rescue work ,you train your self to take action ,not wait till its too late to act.
    Secondly upon reaching shore I might choose to swim back to the plane to recover more gear , 30 feet deep is a push but in this situation I might push it. providing the plane has lights that are still functioning.
    Down deep enough your not seeing anything .
    But at least I'd give it a shot.
    I would never leave the area knowing the pilot had left a flight plan.
    I'd get a fire going for smoke signal and a heat signature .
    It is hard to predict how others react in a event such as this if they are untrained, but it is my experience that if you know what your doing and open no discussion as though you don't know what your doing you usually won't will get an argument you will loose .
    The movie "The Edge" is similar to this scenario.
    I am a strong believer in having more than one means of defense and hunting so after camp is established clothes dried and a semblance of security is established ,preparing cam to be a more permanent situation making things more comfortable and preparing to do some trapping an hunting as required. I would be building a reservoir of spears and defensive weapons in the event of an aggressive bear . Not that it will, but that it an happen .
    In search and rescue we teach kids "Hug a tree" as in staying put . A moving target is much harder to find especially if there is a large search area to cover .

Motomom34, Dunerunner and oldman11 like this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. DKR
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. ED GEiN
  11. Motomom34
  12. ED GEiN