What If... Lost in Alaska

Discussion in 'Survival Topic of the Month' started by Dunerunner, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Do not go to them,let them come to you.........

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

Did the Pilot call in the flight plan change?

Motomom34 and oldman11 like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Really doesn't matter is he did call in the change... Most if not ALL Licensed Alaska Guides will have specific areas and Campsites that they have used for years, and which are KNOWN by the local Bush Pilots and Transport People... When they take FlatLanders out, before they leave they usually give them, "The lay of the Land" and NowDays almost ALL of them Carry a SATPhone if the area they are in is NOT Cellular Covered... This is just smart Business Practice... Again, Alaska is a very BIG Place, but regionally most everyone knows who hunts where, and who has clients in the field.... An overdue Aircraft, scrambles and "All Hands on Deck" Search, until they are located, or at least three days of intensive searching has been completed and there are NO Further Signs or Information... When I am traveling in the Bush, I carry on my person, multiple forms of Comms... Cellphone, DualBand 5 Watt Handheld with Police, Fire, EMS, Marine, and Ham Frequencies Already Programmed in, as well as a 5 watt Handheld Aircraft Radio... I remember when they "Shut down the US Airspace on 9/11" there were a bunch go folks stuck out in the Bush with No knowledge of what happened, and their /ride just never showed up to get them... One such outfit was AlasComm had three Techs stuck own a Remote MountainTop Site... They had a Handheld Radio, as well as the OrderWire back to the AlasComm Network Operations Center... They were told only the USCG & .MIL were flying, and to sit tight... Got a bit hungry up there, huddled in the CommShell for three days... Lived on CandyBars and the Emergency Pack stored at each Remote Site... There were a few cases where hunting groups were stuck... and the .MIL sent Choppers out, with Loud Speakers, to inform these parties to Hunker down for a couple more days... It is very rare, to lose an Aircraft, completely these days... I mean they found the Guarding LifeFlight Plane in a week, and it was way down Underwater...

4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Unless your on an Malaysian flight,Then you can kiss it goodbye,
    I was out in the Shipshoal field when 911 went down,9 hr crewboat ride!

oldman11 likes this.
  5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Day four, you went hunting and found nothing within range of the .44 pistol and what you did see was so small there wouldn't be anything left to eat after shooting it. You have decided to figure out a way to use the pontoon in some way. You have seen fish in the lake and have watched eagles take some large trout every day. You think there might be enough material in the dry bags themselves to make a fish trap or net. While hunting you found a small abandoned cabin and discovered an axe in relatively usable condition.

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

You come to the cabin and there is a fire place, a stove, and a lantern, and only one match ,
    which do you light first ?

7. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Which one has fuel?

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Save the match,Pull apart an 44 shell,Dump the powder on the kindling,Set it off with the primer.

STANGF150 and oldawg like this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I was waiting for some one to say ferro rod or bow drill . save the match for an emergency. but among novices the answer is "the match."

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

The thought crossed my mind, but I wasn't sure what was working and what wasn't. Don't know how it is in Alaska, but down here, humidity and time normally wreck all of that if you don't have supplies to restore them to use.

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I guess it depends on the time of year . if it is particularly cold , below freezing then things tend to dry out pretty good .
    If it is 40 degree days, likely it's freezing at night.

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Remember, you only have 12 rds. of ammo.

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  13. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Also you might want to save your buddy until you really get hungry...just don't wait too long!

STANGF150, Gator 45/70 and oldawg like this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Right now I am drawing a blank on what to use the pontoon for. I am not really familiar with them so not sure of the material but I googled it and saw strong PVC. A quick thought is it could be anchored to shore but be allowed to float out into the lake and use it for gathering fish. I wonder if a pontoon can easily be opened half way so one could float in it. Like I stated, I have no clue about pontoons.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

It’s been 13 days since the plane crash,what is the status on the survivors?

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

They either were rescued by SAR, or DIED from their own Dumb Ideas....

STANGF150 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I didn't know anyone was still playing the game? You and your buddy have been able to catch a few fish, gather some berries and signal a search plane. You were subsequently rescued after 8 days in the wilderness. The search aircraft found you upon seeing the smoke from your campfire.... The pontoon was aircraft grade aluminum, and after using your sheath knives to create an opening, you and your buddy used it to boil lake water for drinking.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. WolfBrother

WolfBrother Monkey+++

A very good PAW fiction writer, who unfortunately is no longer with us, FleaTaxi wrote about such in the first of his 4 North To Alaska books.
    North to Alaska
    The First book in the North to Alaska Series
    by Fleataxi
    The main character in the first book, Roy, survived a light plane crash with what he had on and then summer/fall/winter with a little Deus Ex Machina by the author.

The Deus Ex Machina: Surviving the plane crash and COLD swim to shore. Then 3 days later finding an abandoned trappers cabin on the lake with a flintlock rifle, powder, lead, and molds in the cabin with an ax head in a stump by the cabin.

A word to the wise, there are bold pilots, there are old pilots, there are NO OLD, BOLD pilots.
    Roy's pilot was a bit bold, flew around showing the Roy the country, got lost in some clouds, and crashed due to a severe down draft about 100 miles from where he was heading.

What Roy had on:
    Fanny Pack:
    Custom AK Knife Combo (12 inch Bowie w/ micarta scales, stainless guard, and hammer pommel. Made out of ATS-34 and TiN coated smoky black.
    Modified Ulu knife (Ulu Blade and hammer head on reverse with conventional handle and 2 finger holes w/ micarta scales.)
    DMT Duafold Sharpener (Med/Fine)
    Gerber Multi-tool Model 600 w/ replaceable saw, 3 extra blades
    SAK – Swiss Army Knife
    MFS – Magnesium Fire Starter
    Hot Spark
    Scripto Butane Lighter
    P-38
    Cotton Balls/PJ Tinder – PJ petroleum jelly
    Mini-FAK – First Aid Kit
    Mini-Mag AA/LED Keychain light
    35mm film can fishing kit
    Snare Wire
    Military Canteen/Cup/Stove
    WP tablets/Hexamine Tabs – Water Purification
    35mm cans of Salt & Pepper
    3 tea bags
    6 Lipton Chicken Noodle soup pouches
    3 High-protein energy bars
    bag of hard candy
    3 Disposable Hand Warmers
    Compass & waterproofed Map
    Signaling Mirror
    3 Lightsticks
    Fox-40 Whistle
    100 ft Paracord
    1 Survival Straw
    3 large contractor-grade trash bags
    2 Mylar blankets.
    Deck of Survival Cards
    Favorite Bible verses on laminated 3x5 index cards.
    Timex windup watch, flint & striker, ranger compass and neck knife in a pouch on beaded neck chain
    2 pr Polypro Socks
    1pr Longjohns
    Watch Cap
    Gloves

Clothing worn:
    Polypro long johns and socks
    heavy denim levis
    wool hiking socks
    over-the-ankle sneaker-boots
    flannel shirt
    wool sweater
    3-season windbreaker with hood w/ lightweight ski gloves in pockets

The story is one of my favorites.

duane, Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  19. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Make sure your buddy is eating well,,, fatten him up and you could live off of him for a few weeks.

Gator 45/70 and oldawg like this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. DKR
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. ED GEiN
  11. Motomom34