What if.... You Witness a Crime

Discussion in 'Survival Topic of the Month' started by Dunerunner, Jul 30, 2019.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The moment the perp 1 fired into the cigarettes it's go time, since the next shot won't be a warning and the perps don't care who might have been on the other side of the wall. Death for the clerk is imminent. If I could get to a better angle (both nearly lined up) I would. Two double taps goes by too quickly for most people to respond. The first target is the one who fires. My carry piece has an integrated crimson trace laser so I don't even have to line up the sights. Yes, I check the battery every day.

As far as risk to my own life and the legality - I would rather be wounded or killed than to spend the rest of my life regretting that I cowered in fear and let an innocent die. We all die, it's just a matter of when and how. I'd also rather sit in a cell along with all the bad that goes with that while lawyers spend all my money than live free knowing I let someone else pay the price for me while I stood by and let it happen.

Tully Mars, BenP, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  2. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Well said, 3M-TA3.

Gator 45/70, Seepalaces and tacmotusn like this.
  3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Your response is very close to my thoughts. However if the clerk is a close friend or relative, after that 1st shot was fired, if I have some cover and concealment, and have clear shot with safe back drop, it is probably on like donkey kong with no warning whatsoever!

Gator 45/70 and Seepalaces like this.
  4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

If you have time, dial 911 as @BTPost suggested. Cut the volume immediately after dialing so they can hear you while the phone remains silent. You don't need to say a word - they WILL send someone to your location. They might even be able to hear the thugs speak so they could have an idea about what is happening.

jim2, Gator 45/70 and Seepalaces like this.
  5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Dinosaur Techtard that I am, I am not tethered to a cell phone. I have a working quite simple flip cell phone and a cheap monthly no contract plan carrier that almost always when I need it. It resides in my auto glove box and gets fully charged weekly. It is seldom turned on. I turn it on when I need to use it. In the hypothetical situation at the start of this thread, if I drove up to this convenience store and witnessed enough while outside, I would do 2 things, immediately move myself and my car and myself further away, then call 911. Use my vehicle as cover and challenge the perps with the arrest ploy and if threatened or fired upon, return fire. (phone would be on whole time). As I said though, I would not have had the phone inside.

6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

"What If" mind games have some real value.

By thinking ahead on a possible situation - you cut your response time by having at least an idea of what you might choose to do.

But standing there holding a loaded piece and waffling is likely the worst of all possible choices.

I also understand that if I do pull the trigger, I will be arrested and likely face charges - given the liberal utopia I find myself in.

My first duty is to myself. Second to my wife / family.

The store clerk comes in a ways down the decision tree. Once that pick point arrives, however, I also need to understand that the BG with the gun could get a lucky shot in at me.... This IS NOT a zero risk shooting situation...

.Given the OP, I would have concealment, but not cover. If the BG has a BFG, I would still hold off until directly threatened.

jim2 likes this.
  7. Definitely taking the shot. They've made threats. There's a weapon.

8. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

With my luck, they could be standing in a school yard machine-gunning kids right and left and if I shot the shooters I would be arrested and charged with murder in the first. Everyone is responsible for their own self defense., and while it is not popular I would not shoot. At my age I can’t afford the legal bills. God, Family, Tribe.

Jim

9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Heroism is in my blood.
    Dad ran air port crash truck in the service and ambulance and fire department as a civilian.
    My older brother was in civil air patrol.
    I was in SAR for a few years.
    We are not the type to stand by and let people get hurt.
    Dad taught me, "Pray before you act", it makes difference.
    And it does.

10. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Nice scenario but too much info mudding the waters. A robbery is occurring. A threat of great bodily injury or death is present. As a cop I have the legal authority to shoot immediately, no warning, in the defense of another's life and the threat to my own. Citizens have the same right. Where the weapon is pointed has no relevance.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

That may be true in most States, but in Anti Self-Defense States, it will depend on State Law.. and how the Statute is drafted... Especially for Civilians... In Alaska, “ Smoke’em if you got’em”... for felonies in progress....

Tully Mars, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Here its if the perp points the weapon at an unarmed person or you then light him up.

Tully Mars and SB21 like this.
  13. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

I used to use Zimmerman as a prime example - now we have Rittenhouse >> facts don't matter when they need a scapegoat to crucify - if you can't simply walk away after using your weapon - think twice

jim2, adkpete, SB21 and 1 other person like this.
  14. JrOrtiz

JrOrtiz Monkey

I'd think twice. Actually too many unknowns to answer.

jim2 likes this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Shinzo
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Motomom34
  5. BTPost
  6. magnus
  7. kckndrgn
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7