What is a good store of money?

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by fortunateson, Jan 22, 2009.

1. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

Gold aside.

I think gold is being manipulated now and anyway, it has a big target painted on it. Same for other precious metals.

So, how to get your money out of the fake green stuff which is heading to zero like a bat out of hell?

Here are some thoughts I had - not really happy with my options.

Land - Large denominations, illiquid

Copper pipe - dependent on demand from a strong economy

High quality tools (snapon, mac) - buy used, should retain value or go up - a bit of economic dependency here too.

Collectables - expensive watches, etc. - very dependent on having rich people around to pay top $. Even they cut back when times are hard.

Ammo - subject to ever changing rules and regs.

Any ideas? - I'm doing pretty shabby here.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Forget Mac tools, they are crap. Snapon, ok. Think S&K and Craftsman for hand powered tools, but in the case of Craftsman, not the homeowner grade. For power tools go with Mikita commercial grade.

Gold may be in manipulated mode or not, we don't know. But silver is apt to be useful because of the smaller denominations available. Yeah, it can be manipulated, too, as witness the Hunt brothers escapade, but doesn't seem to be that way just now. Think also of consumables, say like 5 lb bags of flour. It'll last forever if stored correctly. If your barn is big enough, TP will be worth 10X it's weight for barter.

No matter what, converting frns to hard goods and long lived staples looks to be the best course before zero arrives.

Thus spake me, and maybe me only.

3. tommy20/69

tommy20/69 Monkey++

i would say stock up on lead and copper that would be a good barganing metal for people who would be in the tradeing world. you can melt them down for bullet castings brass too i have been saving alot of lead brass and copper infact i have at this present time a few hundred lbs of each. forget gold or silver to me if someone was to wanna trade me gold or silver i would turn them away .

4. mobilus

mobilus Monkey++

Tommy, do you melt your metals and store as ingots?

5. tommy20/69

tommy20/69 Monkey++

no i could if i needed to but what i do is just store it and sell it on a need the money basis or if i see a gun i like i seel some metal and buy the gun. the past few days i have been cleaning some a/c coils. i have about 200lbs of them i got about 150lbs cleaned and about 50lbs maybe more still in the a/c units outside to take apart.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7