What is an Assault Rifle?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by RightHand, Nov 10, 2006.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

[FONT=arial, verdana, helvetica, ms sans serif]"...the assault rifle originated in Nazi Germany during World War II, and that the term itself originated with Adolf Hitler - who was merely indulging in his usual wishful thinking; the StG-44 saw very little "assault" use, because by late '44 the German army was entirely on the defensive and not doing very well at it, but still it's not a bad term; the assault rifle is indeed well adapted to mobile offensive warfare."

"[/FONT][FONT=arial, verdana, helvetica, ms sans serif]The man who coined the term "assault rifle" also said, "What matters is not what is true, but what is believed."[/FONT][FONT=arial, verdana, helvetica, ms sans serif][/FONT]

[FONT=arial, verdana, helvetica, ms sans serif]Quoted from "What is an Assault Rifle" by William Saunders[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, verdana, helvetica, ms sans serif]Read his article [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, verdana, helvetica, ms sans serif][SIZE=+3] WHAT IS AN ASSAULT RIFLE? [/SIZE] [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, verdana, helvetica, ms sans serif][SIZE=+2] by William Sanders [/SIZE] [/FONT]

2. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Kinda sums up what the anti-gun movement bases their arguments on. Not the facts, but rather what they believe these facts to be or to show.

Just my .20,
    phishi

3. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Drive-by bayonetting... hehe

Good article, thanks.

4. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Look on the back of the Massachuesetts state quarter.....THAT guy is carrying one.....which is pretty funny considering how lib MA is.....

5. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Interesting guy, never read any of his stufff, but I tend to agree with his self defense/survival characterisations i.e." its alittle hard to sell the self defense aspect ofa shooting over 25yards (to a jury)."Or something to that effect",and the idea cranking off a mil caliber rifle in a small room will have one saying "WHAT" alot for the rest of your life.

The Sks stuff and explanations of the awb and c&R status was interesting...I didn't know removal of a bayonet could make the SKS illegal depending on its exact lineage.

Thanks for posting the link!

6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Any weapon is an "Assault Weapon" in the hands of the criminal. ASSAULT is a verb, not a noun. ;)

7. yonder

yonder No Despot's Servant

[​IMG]

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Always wondered what an "assault wheelbarrow" might look like. (RH -
    assault just might be an adjective, don't you think?)

9. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That was my thought as well ghrit. I went looking for the origin of the term, assuming it became a label during the 1980's. I was surprised to find several references to the term dating back to the 1940 although, at that time, it seemed to be used as an alternate for the term "battle rifle." Assault rifle certainly has a more menacing impact than battle rifle.

10. yonder

yonder No Despot's Servant

The battle rifle is not quite the same as an assault rifle. You say "battle rifle" to me and I think something like a G3 or M14. You say "assault rifle" to me and I think AK47 or M16. Assault Rifle was a later development with a lighter caliber cartridge. The sturmgewehr (StG44) was the big daddy of the assault rifle revolution probably as it used the much lighter 7.92x33 cartridge.

11. RightHand

"...[FONT=arial, verdana, helvetica, ms sans serif] toward the end of 1944; not a technological one, but one of nomenclature. The CEO of Germany, one A. Hitler of whom you may have heard, was tremendously pleased with the new rifle, and bestowed on it the name "Sturmgewehr." [/FONT] [FONT=arial, verdana, helvetica, ms sans serif]Meaning "assault rifle."[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, verdana, helvetica, ms sans serif]Quoted from William Sanders article
    [/FONT]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7