What is your favorite .22 rifle to hunt or plink with

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Stillwater, Aug 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

10-22 by far the best all around 22 rifle. This thing has more accessories that Barbi.

2. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Winchester 63. No doubt about it, this is the fastest handling .22 I have ever shouldered. I seldom go to the range without it, and have probably added 10-15k rounds to its' total round count. Over 60 years old, and polished smooth from handling, it has three unevenly spaced notches worn (filed?) into the rear sight elevator that are dead on for 25/50/100 yards. This is just a fun rifle!

HD

Seacowboys likes this.
  3. Rich Seal

Rich Seal Monkey

well, my favorite is the only one i have-- an older 10-22 Ruger. 3x9x40 Barska scope & a 30 round clip. My shooting/fishing buddy has a tube fed Weatherby .22LR that is extremely more accurate than mine. I do enjoy shooting that one as well.

D2wing likes this.
  4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Rem 572 with a 4x

5. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

My grandpa left me one of those. Wish I knew then what I know now... [nutkick] dumass sold it

Guess it was lucky I didn't find the unfired un-handled S&W Model 10 he must have bought about the time I was born, until recently! Won't be making the same mistake again I can assure you

Any reference to owning firearms refers to a dream I had

oldawg likes this.
  6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I just completed a total refinish of my 'new to me' Remington 552 semiauto. It was in sad shape, but now looks nearly as good as when it came off the line. The walnut stocks look 'mahvelous' with a couple coats of Tung Oil. I did the metal in Brownell's Alumahyde II spray finish (semi-gloss black).
    Put a Simmons 3-9X40 scope on it, and it shoots very nice indeed - better than my much newer Ruger 10-22! It really likes the Winchester Dynapoints - this morning at the range, it was keeping ten rounds inside a one-inch red sticky spot at 50 yards. I may have new favorite 'squirrel rifle'! And it's my current favorite for just plain plinkin'!

7. Montana_Billy

Montana_Billy Monkey+

Kimber Pro Varmint (no longer in production in .22LR) and suppressed (Elite Iron) Ruger Mk II.

8. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well I would like to say one of my 10/22's. I have a standard 10/22 with synthetic stock and the Takedown model. Both are excellent shooters. But recently I took my Win. 1906 out for a run. Man that thing was dead on accurate! And SMOOOTH to operate. I actually got the gun for free, since it was part of a collection that I picked up. Sold most of the other guns for more than what I paid for the collection! :D

I guess if it had to be a main "go to" gun, it would be the 10/22's, but that 1906 is such a sweet shooter.

9. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Over the past few months, my newest 10/22, the takedown version, has become my favorite...but the old Marlin Model 60 tube mag seems to always find it's way into consideration.

10. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

My favorite is a Browning SA .22 shoots longs shorts, and long rifles....

Tully Mars likes this.
  11. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

As of late, Iazine into it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  12. testhop

testhop Monkey+

I have a remington mod 513 a that shoots far better that i can .
    but i can still hit a soda can at 100 yards ( thay dont allow beer on the range)
    it is topped with a redfeild 3-9

13. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

My favorite? Easy. My Dad's Savage 22/.410ga over and under. Selective hammer, side release lever (discontinued) I learned to hunt with that gun. Second choice would be my Glenfield Model #60. It was a gift from my Father. 17 shot tube magazine and the original scope. Scope will be replaces soon.

14. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Back in 1969 (jeez, I can't believe it was 40+ years ago!!) I graduated high school. My dad got me a Sears lever action .22 that eats shorts, longs and long rifle cartridges without a hitch. It rapidly became my go-to for squirrels, rabbits and nutria (lived down in SW LA at the time) and general plinking. It's followed me around the U.S. during multiple moves and is the .22 that my DS learned to shoot with about 10 years ago. After God knows how many rounds through it, it's still a straight shooter and the iron sights are good for up to about 60-75 yards.

A couple of years ago, my DS and I were out rabbit hunting one frosty evening, just before dark. He was using this gun and we'd already got a few nice little cottontail rabbits. There was one sitting about 40' away just about dusk. I told him "Shoot him in the butt!" as a joke. Well, DS took a shot and hit right under the bunny. It jumped straight up about 3' and hunkered down. I said "Do it again!" Same thing....3' straight up, then hunkered down. At that point I said "OK, take it down. One shot, one kill, right?" A head shot followed and bunny keeled over. There was indeed only 1 bullet hole...in the head. The first 2 shots just startled it and made it jump straight up. To this day, we laugh about that "Shoot him in the butt" bunny. :)

Kajun

tacmotusn likes this.
  15. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Mine is a very accurate Marlin 981T bolt action. I have it scoped with Redfield Revolution 2 by 7 power varmint special. Its a tack driver out to 100 yards . I make head shots on most any small game . I also have an old rem nylon 66 and a nice Ruger 10-22 but neither of those are as precise or accurate as the Marlin.

16. GamecockOperator

GamecockOperator Monkey++

I personally love my marlin model 60. it was my first rifle, and shoots like a dream :

DSCF7137.

DSCF7137.

tulianr likes this.
  17. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

Thread resurrection post. My wife and I love plinking with the Henry .22 lever action. She said she felt like The Rifleman. LOL

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    Tully Mars, Brokor, 3M-TA3 and 3 others like this.
  18. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The Browning A-Bolt .22 is worth seeking out, just make sure it has a magazine as they are made of pure unobtainium. This rifle is extremely well made, silky smooth, fantastic trigger, and makes me shoot better than I can with any other firearm. They only made them a few short years before switching to the T-Bolt, so they are a bit hard to find.

19. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Geez...favorite .22? Leaning toward either the Remington 552 Speedmaster or the 512 Sportmaster, even over the Marlin 60 and Henry. Most accurate would have to go to the Marlin 882SS, but that's in .22mag.

20. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Oh man, what a beautiful little rifle. I always wanted one of those Henry's.

My old time classic and favorite (Mossberg 151k):

DSC00090.JPG

1. natshare
  2. Oddcaliber
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Brokor
  5. Brokor
  6. RouteClearance
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. Oddcaliber
  9. Oltymer
  10. AD1