What is your favorite bulk .22?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Hispeedal2, Jul 24, 2010.

?
  1. Remington

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. Winchester

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. Federal

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  4. Other

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Title says it all. What's your favorite (or least favorite) bulk .22 ammo?

2. happyhunter42

happyhunter42 Monkey+++

I have more than 2500 rounds of reminton HP, and only 200 rounds of federal. For some reason the federals will not run thru my rifles, but will thru my walther p22.

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Remington and Federal have not let me down.

4. testhop

testhop Monkey+

alond time ago k mart had winchester wildcat on sale at 77 cents a box of 50 i bought 2 cases for plinking but when we ran it through a chronografph there was only 9 fps
    diffrance . we had some target ammo and it was 12 fps diffrance so i think it is the best

5. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

In order from best to worst:
    Federal
    Winchester
    Remington

And that formula works for almost every caliber I've tried.

In fairness, I haven't tried bulk Aguilla, Fiochi or any of the other bulk packs. I haven't seen a CCI bulk pack, but I like their 22 ammo.

6. twoshotc

twoshotc Monkey+++

I have used most of the bulk .22s and I have found that my 10/22 will shoot the cci standard velocity with the most accuracy. My cz shoots the Dyna Points with the most accuracy. I do not shoot my .22 handguns well enough to tell any difference in accuracy.

7. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

All of my .22lr caliber weapons like Remington or Federal. I used to have a .22lr conversion for my Glock that liked Remington better than Federal so I have more Remington on hand than anything.

When I bought my Mosquito it had a coupon for discounted CCI Mini-mags. So I had 500 rounds of that, and found that all my .22lr liked it as well.

8. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I bought a few bricks of the Federal (Wally Word) red box stuff that had so many duds that I actually gave the rest to my brother. I have shot nothing but Aguilla for the last few years and have only had one dud so far, and I am on my forth case. Aquilla maybe the most expensive for the bulk stuff, but it has been the most reliable for me.

9. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

My P22 will eat the Federals but they eject very unpredictably. Some go up and land on my head...others barely come over the slide and land on my wrist...a few actually eject to my right flank. My 10/22 hates anything F stamped.

I prefer the Rem Cyclones and Yellow Jackets. CCI Mini-Mags are OK too. Get smooth cycling and good ejections from them.

Byte

Byte

10. BRONZ

BRONZ Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Fed is a fav. but only Rem works in my Advantage Arms conv.

11. ISplatU

ISplatU Monkey+

Fed always go bang for me. Remington about 10 to 20% do not fire in my experence.

12. azranger

azranger Monkey+

the Federal seems to work the best for me. Don't trust the Remington golden bullet crap anymore.

13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Honestly, it has a lot to do with the weapon type and ammo lot. If you are experiencing problems, more times than not, it's the weapon being dirty or it is the ammo lot. Get a whole new box from a different lot (I have no idea how to tell this on civilian ammo), possibly a box purchased on a different day or at a different place.

Just about every ammo type eventually has manufacturing issues, resulting in misfires or jams. Although, this is not always the reason why -you should keep your rifle in excellent condition so that you will know a misfire will most likely be the result of the ammo. In any case, some people here know this far better than I do. You just don't blame the whole ammo brand, that makes no sense...unless it has been proven to be a seriously faulty ammo, and as far as .22 ammo is concerned, I know of no major manufacturer that has recently low standards. I really like Winchester, is it the best? I don't know. Works for me. Remington is great, but I don't like waxed bullets. Whatever.

What I don't understand is this: Most inexperienced, uneducated folks I see typing on other forums typically say things like, "Oh, I fired the whole 500 rounds and Remington was horrible, I had like 5 misfires!" -Are you freaking serious? Ever try to refire that round? Did it fire? I bet you it did. The trouble is, that today we have "experts" who like to rapid fire every .22 on the market, thinking that the rimfire is supposed to be infallible and perfect every time. These people need to buy a bolt action, sit back, and take it easy for a while.

The last thing I need is for every trailer park hero turning into Rambo and claiming that their .22 LR experience has been so "terrible" and that they feel cheated because 1 out of 100 rounds didn't fire the first time.

Pssst. Keep the rifle clean and in excellent working order. Try not to rapid fire, it wastes ammo....I know it's fun. It wastes ammo.

14. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Federal, 1st.
    Then Remington.
    Don't care for the bulk "thunderbolt" from Remington, too dirty!
    Love CCI, but can't get it in bulk...?
    I Love the Remington "yellow jackets", BUT ONLY for single shot bolt actions...they destroy the buffers in my Marlins and Rugers!

15. OutdoorGirl

OutdoorGirl Monkey+

The P22 prefers Federal, the Ruger rifle jammed on 25% of the Winchester White Box. I have had no experience with Remington???

16. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

.22 cal is extremely rare here...I'll get me 0.17 or 0.22 air gun. Ammo is dirt cheap, and I saw what it does to small game...and not so small...I saw wild pig killed in 30 meters on the spot with Spanish Gamo Hunter 1250...I'm getting that one too! I can hunt all sorts of small and medium game with it and keep real bullets for real problems...plus in long SHTF situations I can easily make my own ammo. No gun powder or igniters needed...I could even use small rocks! (tried that, works on birds, rabbits).

17. BRISEYIB

BRISEYIB Monkey+

Federal bulk pak 550 has been good to me.
    The Winchester bulk is dirty stuff and the Remington always seems to have a lot of misfires.

18. tjeffries

tjeffries Monkey+

My 10/22 hates Federal, Remington works fairly well, and CCI runs without a hiccup.

19. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I really like CCI HP...

Haven't seen it bulk packaged, but I just buy 10 or so boxes at a time whenever I am in Wally's.

It's like me....cheap, easy and reliable.
    [boozingbuddies]

20. hsapientia

hsapientia Monkey++

My favorite 22's are the ones already on my shelf! I make exception NOT TO BUY leads anymore. Jacketed only please. I agree with 'tell it like it is' Brokor. 22's have few real misfires in a single shot 'just about any weapon'. I've had to take a few auto's to visit the Smithy because of poor assembly or alignment problems. After that, their all good. Keep your weapon clean and keep your ammo in a tight container with a few absorbing desiccants. Hmmm? Makes me wonder how many guys suffering misfires leave their range ammo in the glove box or the trunk of the car. Temperature swings can make any ammo 'iffy'.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7