What is Your Primary Defensive Rifle Cartridge?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by 3M-TA3, Jun 16, 2016.

?
  1. .22LR/.17HMR: Because size doesn't matter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 9mm: Small, fast, and light

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 5.56x45: Perfect balance of speed, power, and weight

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  4. 44 Magnum: Dirty Harry was right all along

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 7.62x39: 500,000,000 Chinese can't be wrong

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. 7.62x51: Does it all and does it well

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  7. 30-06: Don't mess with success

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. 12 Guage Shotty: Rifle? We don't need no stinking rifle...

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  9. Something else, please ellucidate us.

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I'm curious about what other monkeys are choosing for their defensive rifle round and why. Pistol rounds listed are assumed to be used in a carbine.

Much as I like my AR308, my go to defensive rifle is an AR-15. For my AO it's the best balance of power, speed, and effectiveness.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    Withak, Taku and UncleMorgan like this.
  2. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

7.62x54r

3. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

.45LC, 8mm Mauser, .30-30.

UncleMorgan, Oltymer and 3M-TA3 like this.
  4. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

5.56x45....but it is anything but a perfect balance. Lightweight and accurate, but extremely prone to wind drift and is not good for turning cover into concealment. That's why 7.62x39, x51 and x54R live alongside the ol' AR. ;)

UncleMorgan and Dunerunner like this.
  5. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I have no primary...I use the tool that is appropriate for the job at hand...or what I have with me. My choices in a long gun could be one of the 7.62 rounds, 5.56, .22, or 12ga.

6. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

As you get within range it goes from 338 Lapua, then switching to 5.56 at 300-200 yards and then the close range game begins around 50 yards with the semiauto 12 gauge (Hexolit 32's) accompanied by a 10mm pistol. I'd like to add a 50 bmg rifle to keep things interesting.

7. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Hard question for me. My AR is light,nimble, accurate, and dependable. But my philosophy is to E&E if possible. If that isn't going to work then take them out as far away from me and mine as I can. My '06 is light,accurate,and dependable and even at 70 I'm still damned good with it. But being a scoped bolt action it's slower and ammo weighs twice or more than the 5.56. Not the first time I've had to consider this question but I still prefer my '06 as my primary rifle.

8. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

556 plus 762(308) with both in semiauto and bolt guns.

The Rem 700 762/308 with 26 inch barrel and a Vortex Viper PST 6X24X50 FFP MILDOT
    The Semi 762/308 is a DPMS SASS i built from scratch to factory specs. Heaveier than a very large boat anchor, but hollycrap can that pig lay down a curtin of lead. Would not what to hump that for a distance with ammo, but in a fixed position you can own that piece of land.

Gator 45/70, GOG, 3M-TA3 and 2 others like this.
  9. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

7.62 x 39, it works.

GOG, 3M-TA3 and UncleMorgan like this.
  10. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Voted the 12 gauge because defensive to me means close range. Now out 500 to 1000 yards, 7.62X51.... or 300 WinMag Between 500 and across the street, 5.56X45...

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and UncleMorgan like this.
  11. squiddley

squiddley Monkey+++

I vote the right tool for the job. Normal ranges 556,real close 12 ga auto,extended range scoped 308.

UncleMorgan, 3M-TA3 and Dunerunner like this.
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

8mm mauser.
    Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, stab, stab, stab, stab, stab, stab, stab, stab, stab, stab.
    Reload with stripper clip for next wave.

Gator 45/70, Oltymer, 3M-TA3 and 2 others like this.
  13. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

.308 because I like the way it turns cover into concealment.
    Then too, it's nice to win a battle while the other guy's still thinking he hasn't reached it yet.

techsar, Gator 45/70, oldawg and 4 others like this.
  14. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

.40mm grenade launcher

VisuTrac, chimo and oldawg like this.
  15. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Hoping to upgrade to some trench mags at some point. At least the bayonet works right. Haha.

16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If I'm running, gimme the 5.56. If I'm holed up, gimme the 30-06 or 7.62X54R.

techsar, Gator 45/70 and john316 like this.
  17. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

.308 for rifle and .45 ACP for pistol. A match made in heaven. It don't get no better than that!

18. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I'm a somewhat recent convert to the AK platform and I'm growing kinda' fond of the 7.62 x 39 round. This is the woods; there aren't many shots over fifty yards here unless you're on the road and anyway, I'll be in the trees, not on the road.
    I believe the round works just fine in this area and the only way I won't be here is earthquake or wildfire, otherwise I ain't leaving except feet first.

Gator 45/70 and Salted Weapon like this.
  19. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

I go with 7.62x39 Practical, has a nice balance of retained energy, and velocity.
    I realize that a 223 round will go farther out but unless in my opinion you need 75+ yards a 7.62x39 is a good round.
    Now I am used to this in SKS and AK-47 and AK- Hunters. I just got a CZ-527 bolt actions that reviews by many put this round accurate at 300 yards with this rifle which might change how good this round can be. Reviews by Hickok45 and other leads one to look at the 7.62x39 round in a bolt action different then used to. I have yet to test it out yet and a distance may be awhile but looking forward to it.
    But I think being the 7.62x39 is only compared in accuracy and ballistics in semi-autos I am curious my own experiences it will be.

Withak likes this.
  20. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

@Salted Weapon I was looking at some 7.62 x 39 earlier made by Hornady. It might be a good round to try in your 527 carbine. This is the stuff: 7.62 x 39 SST Hornady steel case ammo #8078.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7