What is Your Primary Defensive Rifle Cartridge?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by 3M-TA3, Jun 16, 2016.

?
  1. .22LR/.17HMR: Because size doesn't matter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 9mm: Small, fast, and light

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 5.56x45: Perfect balance of speed, power, and weight

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  4. 44 Magnum: Dirty Harry was right all along

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 7.62x39: 500,000,000 Chinese can't be wrong

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. 7.62x51: Does it all and does it well

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  7. 30-06: Don't mess with success

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. 12 Guage Shotty: Rifle? We don't need no stinking rifle...

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  9. Something else, please ellucidate us.

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. Withak

Withak Monkey

I always hate to narrow myself to one answer, but if I did it would most likely be .223/5.56 that I would grab first. Light weight, effective. Close 2nd would be 7.62x39, followed by .308 and depending on the situation, 12ga. I'm not really a long range guy, I don't have much experience in that area, so I tend to think more in terms of 100 yards or less. My general rule of thumb is to get away first if I can, so if my threat is out 100+ yards, I'll probably be doing my best to get out of dodge. I really can't think of any situations where I personally would need to get out beyond probably 20-50 yards max. If we were talking strictly home defense, then it's pistol followed by 12ga, rifle doesn't factor much into my home defense strategy.

techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

I also have(had before the lake trip) 2 SKS's and a few K of stuff to feed them. Several 30 rnd mags. Fun to shoot and very accurate off hand at 2-300 meters.

I can "ring" a 2x2 steel plate at 300m all day long unsupported.

Cheap to shoot and if I am taking newbees out this is the rifle i take if they want to shoot something bigger than a 22lr

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

My primary defensive rifle is an AR-15 but it is not my only defensive weapon. Here at our BOL we have long range defense as well and that brings the 30-06 out for road watch and out over the lake. My shotguns are for close quarters yard clearing. Hand guns for inside and the AR-15 is for patrolling as I can carry a lot of ammo . My .22 long rifles is designated hunting round.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

I will check it out, I hear it does just as well with brass as it does with steel Tulaammo. But Hornday steel I will have to check out might be awhile I have come in total 3K come in Tulaammo the last month so not much left for budget. Going to Cabelas next week maybe i'll grab a box and try. Thanks GOG.

GOG and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

My sons not a member here but we had extensive talks yesterday about just this topic.
    He swears by his 7mm Mag. The 7mm Rem Magnum receives bum rap when the 7mm Remington Magnum has been compared to the 30-06. the 30-06 has a slight edge over the 7mm Rem Mag in both energy and trajectory pending who you listened to for example. The 190 grain out of a 30-06 can be pushed just as fast, is a tad flatter trajectory at 1000 yards and more lethal than the 7mm Rem Mag 175 grain. At around 3500fps its a round to be reckoned with, one notable in my experience is recoil. I know when I have shot a 30.06 however a 7mm mag I could shoot all day. I also find that for me not anticipating that hit by the 30.06 makes shooting fun. Yes I know your not supposed to anticipate the round , but it reminds me of shooting a slug outta of a 12gauge powerful but not as much fun. But in a serious situation my opinion the 7mm mag is a great all round round power, speed and distance and some really good ballistic qualities often over looked. I can't compare them to my CZ 527 with 7.62x39 as far as ease of shooting but the recoil is really nothing.

6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

One nice thing about the 7mm RM is that during the last panic it was one of the few rounds you could find everywhere. I agree it's an overlooked round that's also impressive for sniper duty. The only drawback is that it has less barrel life than others and some find it does too much damage on game. For a-holes, though, there is no such thing as too much damage.

If you look at TberasaurusRex's YouTube Sniper 101 series he shows that ballistically it can outperform a 300WM past a certain distance because it stays supersonic longer and also has a better sectional density for improved penetration.

Withak and Salted Weapon like this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Also, I have to add that in my OP the use of the word "perfect" as relates to my choice of 5.56 as my go to cartridge means "best fit" for my AO. No such thing as perfect anything especially when it comes to guns.

Also, if I had already handed out all my 5.56 rifles to trusted folks for neighborhood defense, the next person to get a gun would get a 5.56 and I'd take the AR308.

In my next AO, likely the AR308 will be my go to choice, and likely from an outside position that has full view of the property.

GOG, Gator 45/70 and Withak like this.
  8. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

If we were talking weapon of choice for fishing, I'd agree! :D

GOG likes this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

What Old Pirate would be without his 40MM Grenade Launcher.....

Gator 45/70 and VisuTrac like this.
  10. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I mean, when I read this, my first thought for "primary defense" was not my "it's fighting time" gun, but the gun that I would grab from point blank to issue over to deal with an issue. A lot of responses look to me to be "I would take this one to fight here, at these known ranges" instead of "What gun do you pick up when something goes bump in the night or sounds off in the day".
    My grab "for anything" gun is usually a .45LC rifle...but my "go to war" would be something 7.62+, preferably semiauto. Just wanting to make sure we are all looking at the issue the same way.
    That make any sense?

GOG, techsar, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  11. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

.30 carbine... for home defense ease of handling not as much over penetration as the .556 but enough power to stop most perps... Other tools are available for other situations...

BTPost, 3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Our 30 Carbine is AlaskaChicks favorite.... It is an Old Universal, but shoots just fine.... and NOBODY told her it wasn't appropriate for Black Bears, when she killed a 350# Boar that was raiding her SmokeHouse, with a single shot....

Witch Doctor 01, GOG and 3M-TA3 like this.
  13. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

Over even the Ak-47 to use my 7.62x39 would be my short SKS its reliable works well and built like a tank.
    The second is Pre-Ban LE issue 40sw Sig P229 Both these two work well never have failed and are going to get the job done.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    GOG and 3M-TA3 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7