What Is Your Rig Of Choice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yard Dart, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

10 cars that can last for 250,000 miles (or more) - Yahoo! Autos

As Monkey's we are always thinking about what vehicle would be the best for your need in a SHTF situation. Be it a 2 1/2 ton truck with shelter, old land rover or 2013 F-350 diesel. Reliability, ease of maintenance, survivability, and capabilities to fit your mission. My question is what do you have as your primary transport and if that is not your true prep vehicle you plan to get- what is it? And to further that question- how are you planning and prepping spare parts for that vehicle?

2. whynot

whynot Monkey+++

90 Ford Bronco with the 302 engine. Only 324,000 and is still my daily driver. Just wish it got a little bettter mileage.

whynot

Brokor likes this.
  3. Beano

Beano Monkey

I would love to have a mid-90s Jeep Cherokee. Always wanted one for my fun car, but now I want one to be my go-to. Timeless and reliable. Maybe one day soon....my first big ticket preps will be a fistful of acres and a mini cabin.

4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Toyota Land Cruiser is my choice- always loved them as a off road vehicle. Down side is they can not carry much in cargo. 2nd choice would be a HUMV (the original), they can go thru most anything. Guess I will have to wait and obtain one that gets abandoned after the fall....

5. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I have a '94 Isuzu Trooper that had just over 200K on it (and actually only needed a valve job) when I switched the engine out for a diesel this past year. I almost hated to take the old engine out, but I couldn't resist the engine that I had been wanting in it for years...it is an older engine with very little electronics and I was able to get replacements for the critical parts.

Coincidentally, while it was getting it's conversion, I ran across a deal on an '89 Jeep Wrangler (140K, but about half of it towed) that became both my daily driver and our "tow-behind", so the Trooper has been relegated to the garage as a "sometimes" car and my SHTF-moblie.

6. Mechwolf

Mechwolf Monkey+

I have an 89' chevy Cheyenne that i paid $400 for it isn't the prettiest thing but it runs and parts are cheap

VisuTrac likes this.
  7. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Last new car we bought was a 2003 Honda Pilot, (same driveline as the Acura but $15Kless) have 158K on it now, still runs / drives like it was new. Had to replace the sway bar bushings but other than regular maintenence we've not had any issues. Should get at least 300K out of it. Honda's used to known as rust buckets but there's not even one spot of rust, and we live in the northeast.

My 14 year old Ford truck, far fewer miles (take home work vehicle) but rustin' apart at the seams.
    I wants me a bobbed deuce once the Ford falls apart. [coo]

8. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

2003 honda element...218k and counting....

9. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

1987 Suzuki Samurai with trailer. Yes, it is small. No, it won't roll over like Nader & Consumers Union claimed. And it gets about 27 mpg in 4wd low range. Spare block, head, carb, transmissions, transfer cases, axle assemblies, nearly everything except the frame and body (spare doors, too). 200k and a daily driver.

Yard Dart likes this.
  10. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

M1008 CUCV. Basically, a 1 ton GM, 4x4 pick up and a 6.2 liter engine. Heavy/versatile enough for most anything, but low key enough to be "gray". Spare parts are readily available and inexpensive. Add a Banks turbo, front winch, a tow truck pusher bumper, HAM coms. Down side is limited seating.

1. DKR
  2. Ura-Ki
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Tully Mars
  6. BenP
  7. the68
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. STANGF150
  10. Motomom34
  11. sdr
  12. Yard Dart