What kind of knife?

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Seacowboys, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

image. This was part of my crazy mil's arsenal to battle alien tele-evaggalists that I confiscated. Don't really know what it was designed for?

Ganado and RightHand like this.
  2. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Looks a lot like one of the longer Herter's Camp Cook series knives, with the tip broken off. Vintage 1950's, I would say.

I have one I bought for a buck at a yard sale. It fits my hand perfectly and I value it very highly.

Oltymer likes this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Very similar to a leather (shoemaker's) knife or one used by insulation workers dealing with fiberglas blankets or rubber based foam materials.

4. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

I had a knife like that, I used the square tip for flipping dollar size pancakes on the cast iron camp griddle!

5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Looks a lot like 28th century blades. Idk beyond that.

Airtime likes this.
  6. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I thinks its pretty obvious what kind of knife it is. Is an authentic Anti-Alien Televangelist knife. They are so effective that I would be willing to bet my bottom dollar that you haven't been invaded by Alien Televangelists since she got her hands on it. Be grateful, young man, for a MIL with such foresight as to include that in her arsenal

oldawg, Minuteman, Yard Dart and 10 others like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Saw one in a Sci fi movie
    Believe it was used to slice up Dragon Filets

GOG and Ganado like this.
  8. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I suppose it is rather futuristic looking but my skills to time travel to the future 700 years are worthless so I'll just take your word for that. Are there really still televangelists then?
    AT

9. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Could it be a knife use to cut wheels of cheese in a store? I realize some many a handle on both ends, but I've seen them with one.

10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

it looks like a large carving knife that had the end broken off and then filed sharp but I like your story better .... alien televangelist hunting knife ohno

Gator 45/70 and GOG like this.
  11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

[​IMG]
    This might help. My guess would be the vegetable knife.

GOG likes this.
  12. Seacowboys

Thanks Kell, think you might have nailed it, but I don't think it is Japanese. There are some kind of characters stamped onto the blade

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  13. Seacowboys

image. image.

14. kellory

Ask @Bear . That looks like a maker mark to me.

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Most likely Indian from what I can make out.

16. kellory

If so I may know somebody who could read it. Give me a good clear picture of the full inscription and I'll forward the picture on.

GOG likes this.
  17. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT GHOST MONKEY

It appears to be a "poor man's version" of the ONTARIO SP-8. I would imagine you could find a list of uses by looking at the SP-8 Specs.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7