What kind of nation drafts women and sends them to war?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by john316, May 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I think, in the case of Israel; it was a survival thing.

Bandit99 and Ganado like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I can neither confirm or deny the Women in Israel serving in line outfits, but I would say that the chances are pretty good that they do, and that they are very good at it! I can also neither confirm or deny that they may or may not have special elements highly trained in "special" operations in and around the country!

Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I Under stand the desire to serve and I understand the desire to fight. Doesn't matter what sex a person is, the heart is what makes a person a Patriot!!! In that I agree with choosing to serve! I am all for equal rights, and fair and honest promotion based on the principals of performance of duty and qualification, and not what sex a person is! One of the Very best Rotor Heads we had was a Major of the Female verity, and she got that way because she earned that position, which is really saying something, as you had to be the very best at flying and you had to be very experienced to even be considered! We were very hard on pilots and for good reason! The good Major had the touch, she had the right personality, and she listened to us and flew the way we asked her! I think in the end, America had better get used to having Women in uniform serving in ALL ratings and that includes combat, I still don't like that, but it's not for me to decide! For what it's worth, Women have been fighting and dying along side the Men for all of recorded history, I guess it had to happen here at some point!!!

4. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I got no problem with a woman who wants to serve doing so...I'd prefer she not be in my unit (due to paternal instincts and male hormones), but even then, if she is assigned to me I am going to hold her to the same standards as the rest of the team.

I do have a problem with drafting anyone, male or female. I don't believe in forced servitude and I don't want to serve with people who had to be forced into it.

Motomom34, Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

There is a sizable proportion of the male population who have very strong feelings about women being tasked to jobs that only men should do....many of the objectors are conservative, ultra orthodox Jews, manfully draft dodging in yeshivas...getting closer to god, apparently is far more important than getting closer to a terrorist with an AKM. :rolleyes:

Ultra-Orthodox Jews rally for alleged draft-dodger found at Israeli nightclub

Refusal to serve in the IDF - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

upload_2016-10-12_23-1-41.

never mind....these women....

upload_2016-10-12_23-7-51.

will protect the safety of lazy, rock chucking, state supported, religious refuseniks from terrorism...

upload_2016-10-12_23-10-23.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I got no problem with a woman...cis or trans who wants serve, doing so...I would not be concerned that she was in my unit; provided that she did her assigned tasks competently and maintains the unit's morale and cohesion as any male would be expected to do. Whatever instincts, paternal or otherwise I may have, as a commander and a soldier, are my responsibility to control and subordinate to the requirements of the mission: My hormones, as a professional soldier, are mine to control...testosterone and my d!ck don't rule me.

I take the view that service personnel, on active service, should be volunteers. However, there may be exceptional circumstances when a nation is fighting for its survival, or preparing for that imminent and present threat of a fight for survival when the draft may be necessary. Having said that, once the decision is made to deploy conscripts, then if they are in a unit of mine, I have, as an officer, a professional responsibility to the soldiers under my command whether volunteer or conscript to lead them, maintain the unit as a combat ready, functional unit, and keep them alive.

Australian Infantry battalions deployed to South Vietnam in the 60's and early 70's comprised a mix of volunteer regulars, and conscript national servicemen; and operationally as units, there was hardly any practical difference between the two groups...they fought, whored, killed VC, were sometimes injured, and sometimes died, but were a band of brothers, committed to a common purpose, when the moment of decision had arrived. I strongly recommend reading the book, "All Day the Noise of Battle" for some insight into the effectiveness of regulars and conscripts fighting together.

As an officer, I wouldn't have the luxury of choosing whether or not to lead and command regulars or conscripts; or men or women for that matter. My job is to do the professional best with what I have.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    Ura-Ki, Motomom34, Yard Dart and 2 others like this.
  7. rockriver

rockriver Monkey+

I went to an associates final jump at airborne school.
    I asked who did he think would be getting awards for best paratrooper student.
    he nodded toward a small female. I was surprised... and asked "why her?"
    two comments by associate.
    1. army trying to be politically correct.
    2. "watch her. she can't carry her gear. "

I did watch... I don't know the name of the gear they carried below their waste...
    (this was the gear that would be released to hit the ground before they did. it would stay connected to the paratrooper by rope.)
    the female had to have someone carry it for her!!

and you know the rest of the story.... she was awarded top paratrooper in that class.

8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

:rolleyes::rolleyes: I can find examples... individual examples where women do things differ or better.

There are 2 things off with primarily male institutions
    1) a man's way of doing doesn't always work for a female. Male dominated institutions have methods and processes designed for men ... designed for male strength and male physicality. Women have different methods designed for their bodies and physicality. In every unit different members have different strengths and weaknesses.

2) when men and women are blended men cannot help being protective and that inherent need to protect women weakens any unit that a female is in unless the men can over come that basic instinct.

I'm not saying these two things are good or bad I'm just saying that is the way it is.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Like it or not, those two items make a pretty good case for discrimination and pre-selection based on some kind of prejudice. Whether right or wrong is the great debate.

Ura-Ki and Yard Dart like this.
  10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have known some very good civilian female mechanics and welders , perhaps this is an area they might best serve in.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  11. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Paratroopers are trained to jump out of perfectly good aircraft.....hit the ground and kill people. If she can't even carry her own gear.... she will be dead on the drop zone. That is combat equality....plain and simple.

Ura-Ki, Ganado and BTPost like this.
  12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Sorta silly, but I've seen some damn good male cooks and served with a couple. Would those cooks have made better clerks or welders? We'll never know, and it doesn't matter.

Ura-Ki and chelloveck like this.
  1. johnbb
  2. Brokor
  3. Bandit99
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Motomom34
  6. wideym
  7. Ganado
  8. Ganado
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Yard Dart
  11. RightHand