What makes a good online forum?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Apr 10, 2010.

?
  1. Opinions that are similar to my own

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Opinions that vary from my own

14 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. Diversity of topics

22 vote(s)
    68.8%
  4. Collective knowledge of members

26 vote(s)
    81.3%
  5. Friendliness of members

15 vote(s)
    46.9%
  6. Family friendly code of conduct

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  7. Fair administration and moderation of forum

19 vote(s)
    59.4%
  8. Pure amusement

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  9. Other - please explain

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Most of us belong to several online forums. On some, we may be active participants while on others, merely lurkers. Assuming our primary reason for joining a forum is a shared interest in the focus of the group, I'm interested in what keeps members active and involved.

What are the most important things to you? Multiple choices allowed

2. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Hit it.

3. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I can't pick just one answer, so it had to be "other"...Of course most of them apply to the boards I participate in...(this one and one other...)
    I have actively participated in the other one since 2002...and have met over 200 people from that board. Some I talk to on a weekly basis, and one, daily....we've traveled together, and have established strong bonds....
    It is a Family friendly board, which was important...It is the collective knowledge, and a common purpose...it's the wit, the humor, and the support when something goes bad....I got over 45 cards in the last 3 weeks since my Dad died from people there...Many I have never met or even talked to on the phone...

I talk to peeps from here on a regular basis as well...We share information, concerns, and again, lift one another up when it is needed....I've learned things from y'all I maybe could have gotten somewhere else...but not with the kindness it is offered here...and I laugh. That's so important to me....We're here for a good time, not a long time, and laughter is important in my life....Thank y'all for allowing me to do that here... :)

The Fair moderation, extended to all members is also important....and I find all of the above on both boards I participate on....If they weren't in place? I wouldn't be there for long......

So much more, but that will do for now...Thanks RH, for asking this....

4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I chose primarily the "Collective Knowledge" and the "Diversity of Topics" - both very important to me. I want to LEARN from the forum. If I can also impart something of my own experience, even better.

But the 'attitude' of the members is important too. The primary boards I am involved in have good members, friendly, willing to share what they know, and alwasy willing to help the newbie.
    Some boards just don't "jell" for me - the 'attitude' is just wrong.

Y'all here have been good! [beer]

5. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

"Diversity of Topics"

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I haven't voted, largely because there are too many "correct" answers for me. 'Nuff said, I think, check 'em all for me.

7. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Maybe the better questions would have been "what makes an online forum unsuccessful"

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Many answers to that one, too. Allow multiple checks in boxes? :D

9. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Other -- Beer Tent. Any forum without a beer tent is simply not preparing to be prepared. Beer.....its what's for dinner!

I do like more than one opinion. If my solution was the best to all problems, I wouldn't need to go to a forum to seek answers.

10. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I had a tough time not checking everything but scaled back to 'choose 4'.

11. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Diversity of topics,
    Collective knowledge of members,
    Friendliness of members.
    If I only wanted opions similar to my own, I would just talk to myself.

12. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Not sure how but I just stumbled upon this poll.

13. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

All of the above, and much more. A forum is about the sharing of ideas. for the betterment of all. to brainstorm an idea, to correct a problem, to enlist aide when needed, or just feedback for something you did or intend to do. It is a community of friends, and neighbors (no matter where you live), it's a late night discussion between two or hundreds, or a private word with a friend, it's a connection between allies, and a united front when needed.In short...it's Family.

14. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

That's easy

www. W..R.... .com/ .org/ .net/ .egomaniac

RightHand likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7