What makes modern marijuana smell?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hot diggity, May 19, 2020.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

It took me a long time to accept that the chemical smell coming from the other displaced people inhabiting my hotel was actually marijuana. It certainly didn't smell anything like the marijuana (weed) I remembered from the late 1970's. The old weed had a pungent and unmistakable smell, but it was an organic smell. The new stuff smells more like somebody is burning wet garbage that had a bunch of those air freshener trees and some wasp spray mixed in. It stinks, and can be so strong in confined spaces that I often went across other hotel floors to avoid the powerful odor.

It's different enough that I at first thought it must be a locally produced batch of heroin that was contaminated with something. In strong enough concentrations I swear the smell started to take on a color in my mind. If the smell had a face, it'd be the guy in the lime green sweat suit that showed up in the doorway of the DMV while I was waiting to get my license renewed. The door opening and everyone in the room curling up their nose and looking at him was instantaneous. I thought he must be a grounds keeper or something, so strong was the pesticide/fertilizer odor. An older woman gave me my first hint. She had a voice like nails on a chalk board as she said. "You sure got a lotta nerve comin' in here all smellin' like Mary Wanna! Jus look at ya, got no business here, just all stinkin' of Mary Wanna..." She kept this up, with ever increasing volume until the man left.

Does the smell ooze out of a smokers pores, or does it just permeate their hair and clothing so much that they give off the acrid stench wherever they go? It's not a scent that can be hidden, at least not from me. I feel like a drug sniffing dog when I pick up the smell on the evening wind through the car window. Is this an intentional marking technique, so use can be more easily controlled?

What makes this new weed stink?

techsar, Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

The folks smoking it !!
    DUH
    S

3cyl and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

The Fed Gov adds the smell...sorta like they do for NatGAs

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  4. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I always thought that it smelled like someone had tossed a dead skunk on a pile of burning garbage.

5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Kinda glad H2/S killed off a lot of my smeller powers at times......

hot diggity, techsar and Tully Mars like this.
  6. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I like the smell of good weed. Everybody got their own tastes; it's in their mouth.

hot diggity, techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. hot diggity

Can I ask how recent is your memory of this smell?

techsar likes this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Hell,He plays in the beach clubs along the coast.....Someone in the back audience is always firing up something.

hot diggity, SB21 and techsar like this.
  9. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Working within walking distance from 2 dispensaries … The smell can range from skunk and dirty socks to Christmas trees and blue berries. But it seems they really like the skunk stuff around here. It must be the cheaper of the range of 50 different strains they have.

hot diggity, TinyDreams, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  10. hot diggity

This helps explain some of the changes. Dank is a good word, but not strong enough. Dank/Skunk/Pesticide maybe?

From Ditch Weed to Dank: How Has THC Potency Changed?

[​IMG]

This is good old ditch weed that grows in varying sizes all over the Old North State. I talked to a fella that lived near some especially active wild fields of it in Western NC, and he said you'd have to smoke a bale of it to get a buzz, but the feds were likely to come in any day and cut it or burn it off. Was fine with him. He was far enough out that when he wasn't growing cotton on the land it was a municipal spray field. Not the kind of field you want to walk around in.

techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I smell Hippies.

chelloveck, SB21, hot diggity and 4 others like this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

We used to see ''Wild weed'' growing along the RR Tracks up in MO.

13. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I have a friend that smokes it daily and we were discussing this. Back in the day, you got a bag of reefer that was crushed up leaves and stems and seeds, these days it's only the buds. And it really does smell like a skunk covered in stale pee to me. I kid him that the cops add the odor so they can catch people easier. I can tell when he has some before he even lights up.

14. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

This is a true story here ,, about 3 months ago ,, I was headed to the beach for a job I'm doing out there ,, about a 250 mile trip ,, about 50 miles from home , I cut thru on a country road that cuts off a few towns ,, and a bunch of stoplights. I pull up to one of those traffic circle intersections , and in the middle of the road right before the circle , theres one of those hard case suitcases with a pull out handle and wheels ,, so I stop , pick it up ,, throw it in the back of the pick up and head on to the beach . I figured if there was an ID in it I would call , or mail it , or drop it by their house if it had an address in it . I get to the beach , grab my junk ,and see the case in the back of the truck , I had forgotten all about it ,, and go into the house . I get comfortable , with a beer in hand and sit down for a minute , then grabbed that suitcase and started looking for an ID , number or something . I open it up , and nothing but clothes , then wrapped up in a shirt , theres a big hard lump . I pull it out ,, it's a pint mason jar , with about 6 big round green balls in it . I open the lid , smelled it , and snatched my head back ,, it was weed , I guess it's that high dollar stuff people are smoking these days ,, but it smelled like some kind of real strong pine tree or something like that . You really couldn't take in a deep breath of that stuff , it would about take your breath away . Anyway ,, I got it sitting up on a shelf , in case the VA ever prescribes me some pot , I'll have some to get by with . If its good for pain , or sleeping ,, I might ought to try it out and see if it works ,, but the way it smells , it scares the hell out of me ,, smells like it could send ya on one of those Hippie Woodstock Acid trips ,,, :ROFLMAO:

15. TinyDreams

TinyDreams Monkey++

Never bought any myself but have had an ex-roommate smoke a few strains. One smelled like straight up blueberries the other smelled like cotton candy. Now the neighbors at that same old apartment building would smoke the skunk one, and that one must be stronger because it would overwhelm any blueberry/cotton candy smell and it would LINGER. Like I could’ve mopped that place a good 5+ times and it still would’ve lingered it was that strong. Skunk weed is the best way to describe it...it smells terrible. Wouldn’t be surprised if it causes health issues down the line.

Gator 45/70, hot diggity and SB21 like this.
  16. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I did not Inhale!

Seriously, we got Mom on it during her cancer battle, the best way to go is vaping it, but not the liquid way the kids do today, you heat in a special vaporizer it to the point of just producing smoke and inhale that, it's much more potent, doesn't smell very much at all, takes WAY less of it, and doesn't cause near as much coughing, and it's easier on the lungs to hold it in! Edibles work well too, not as good as inhaling, but for most needs, a better way to go! Home made Butter infused Mary Jane is the best of the edibles, but dosen't have the ease of fine tuning the Oils have!

The Smell is pretty nasty when smoking it, and it does have a distinctive flavor when eating it!

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

its probably laced with something else

Gator 45/70 and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  18. hot diggity

I picked out a smell that was pretty close to to the intensely unpleasant odor that I remember from hotel life. The folks that said skunk were onto something. Beer is sometimes referred to as skunk smelling, especially beers like Heineken and Corona. I noticed the smell before my first sip of beer this evening, and if you can imagine that smell only exponentially stronger, you'd be getting close to the new weed smell.

Gator 45/70 and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  19. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

It smells better than tobacco. Maybe you were smelling people smoking meth or making it.

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  20. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Rolling a joint of skunk right now. It's about midnight and time for some music and relation.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7