What Optics Do You Use On Your Battle Rifle?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by 3M-TA3, Nov 7, 2022.

?
  1. Fixed - please tell us what you use and why

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Variable - please tell us what you use and why

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  3. Optics? We don't need np stinking optics!

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I'm assessing optic choices for 7.62x51/308 Winchester on a semi automatic rifle. Role is CQB to about 600 yards, so basically an M4 with a lot more punch. Curious what others are using for similar cartridges.

Dunerunner, jim2 and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Following!

Dunerunner likes this.
  3. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

For the most part a Vortex 1-8 although I do have a couple of ACOG’s. Red dots are smaller, lighter but use batteries and electronics that could go TU after an EMP - maybe, maybe not don’t know. A scope will work under all conditions, also the magnification in nice for older eyes and if you have to reach out farther than 50-100 yards. Leave it at 1x and turn on the reticle and you have a bigger red dot. If the scope gets broken, then it’s back to irons.

Dunerunner, Brokor, jim2 and 5 others like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have a Burris Eliminator III on my Custom AR10 w/24” Stainless Bull Barrel… a Unitril 24X mounted on my Winchester 52 Pre A… and a nice Simmons 3X9 40mm mounted on AlaskaChicks Universal M1Carbine….
    If you haven’t figured it out yet, we are both Old Farts with less Eyesight every year… but still love to go out to the 500 Yd Range…

Dunerunner, Brokor, jim2 and 7 others like this.
  5. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Trijcon red/green dot co-witnessed with MBUS sights. 18" M5 in .308.

Dunerunner, jim2 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I run a combo on mine, for CQB out to 800 or so, it's an ACOG 7.62X51 specifically calibrated for that caliber and M-80 ball ammo! I keep it handy is a protective case as part of my battle rattle! The second optic turns this Battle Rifle into a Designated Marksman's Rifle, and that optic is the Leatherwood ART-II M-1200. With the optic dialed in for 3 different loads, I can reach the absolute extreme range of this caliber with extreme precision! This scope was designed for idiots to use with only 2 hours training, and it works so well, that it has only recently been declassified and made available to the public BUT, still banned from export! Don't let the online reviews fool you, I know for a fact, those people were beyond idiots and couldn't hit the inside of a barn from inside no matter the weapon used!

Dunerunner, Tully Mars and CraftyMofo like this.
  7. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I don't have that caliber but on the AR-15s, I have a simple Vortex Spitfire 3X and for distance I have a Primary Arms SLx4-14x44 ACSS HUD DMR 5.56 (30mm) mounted on an American Defense Recon Extended Quick Detach. I love it but scope with the QD is just too damn heavy, good for shooting from a hide/bench, so I am looking around for else, probably will go with new Vortex Spitfire HD Gen II 5x25mm Prism Scope. It's simple and light and gives me 5X. I light the Primary Arms optics as good bang for your buck but just like Vortex better if I can afford it.

8. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

Tru glo omnia 4 on my BRO .223, use it for hunting and i guess a battle gun if needed. I can shoot 1" groups at 100 all day with it. The other BR is an sks, iron sights do fine on it.

9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Closest things I have to a battle rifle are my 7.62x51R, aka the 30-30 and it's 160gr ftx bullets.
    And my 8x57js Mauser which has open sights.

jim2, Dunerunner, secondrecon and 4 others like this.
  10. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

ACOG, Leopoldo, and Vortex

Dunerunner, jim2, Tully Mars and 3 others like this.
  11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

What magnification ranges do you prefer and if fixed, what works best for you?

Dunerunner, Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

CraftyMofo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I'm old fashioned all of my "battle rifles" have irons. I don't run optics on any of my FAL's. The PSG1 has a Zeiss 3.6-18x50 on the HK claw mount. The 91 has a Leupold mkIII 4-12x40, again on the factory claw mount. The CETME's, M14 and the rest are all just running irons.
    A lot of my 5.56 stuff have red dots of some sort, but not all. Same for the PCC's. Subguns are all iron sights at the moment, although I have toyed with the idea of mounting a red dot on one of the Uzi's. After trying a red dot on one of the MP5's I found I prefer the irons-guess you can't teach an old dog all of the new tricks after all..

Dunerunner, 3M-TA3, jim2 and 4 others like this.
  14. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

One is fixed, the ACOG, the Vortex’s and Leupold’s are variable.

jim2, Dunerunner, Tully Mars and 3 others like this.
  15. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

16. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Those fixed power SWFA's have outstanding glass and are rugged as hell. People get thrown by the low prices, but Rex Tibor of Sniper 101 fame will tell you you need to spend $1500 to get close to the optical quality in a scope (and that was ten pre Bidenflation years ago).

17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

SWFA dosnt get the Lovin' they deserve! For the price, they are unbeatable! I'm kinda old school, I use the tools I know and trust based on experience, and for me, that's usually U.S. Optics, Schmidt&Bender, or Night Force! The problem is, all three are super spendy for most folks, and most folks wouldn't even be capable of taking advantage of that superiority anyway! Another really good optic is Millitt, very few know about them, most think they are cheap junk, but for those in the know, they offer a couple of super high quality optics at the top of their range, and those are super good, especially for the money!
    I only have a pair of super high end rifles/optics combos, and both sit in the safe never to be used unless it's Patriot time! The SAKO TRG-42 .300 Win Mag. wears a Night Force Beast atop a Coldshot base in custom Rings, the other is a full house custom Mauser 98 based "Super Magnum" .338 L.M. which wears a U.S. Optics scope stop another Cold Shot base and custom Rings! Those rifles are at the very extreme of what's possible with a rifle, but they serve as "Freedom Tools" should they ever be needed! For everything else, it's the FAL in the DMR configuration, and the Car -15 fitted with it's ACOG!
    I do also keep both an M-1 Garand N.M. and an M-1A N.M. both with Match Irons, both serve as Alamo Backups! No need for caliber 5.55 if we ever get to that point!

Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Bandit99

@3M-TA3 and @Ura-Ki I never even heard of SWFA before now! I will have a look at them as I am looking for something around 4X and lightweight for the piston AR. Like I said, I thought I would go with the new Vortex Gen II Spitfire but now will have a look at what SWFA offers.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
  19. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Those 10x SWFA's were the sniper scopes used my the USMC for decades going back to Vietnam. In a fixed scope you can't beat the value/performance. Their variables are also very good and underrated.

Right now I'm running fixed prismatics on my AR-15 platforms and currently have a 1-6 LPVO on the AR308. I'm using the ACSS reticle across the board.

It's the same type of reticle used in the ACOG and is licensed to Trijicon by Primary Arms. who makes the scopes I use for these applications. It's a brilliant design that makes ranging and bullet drop compensation so quick and easy it's now being copied as closely as it can be without infringing on the patent by several other manufacturers. Glass is surprising clear even at their lowest tier, and they are very rugged.

20. Bandit99

Yes, I am using and really like the ACSS reticle also. I will look into the SWFA, maybe even the 1-6 LPVO but first and foremost for me is weight. I need a lighter scope, of about 4X, so I can manipulate the firearm quicker as my piston gun (PWS MK116) is rather heavy. Lucky for me Xmas is just around the corner and I've been very good this year. :)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7