What our men were wearing in the '70's

Discussion in 'Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions' started by RightHand, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

My Dad still has his leisure suit and still wears it to special events. It is horrible and doesn't really fit. He sees no reason in replacing a perfectly good suit.

Ganado and ditch witch like this.
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

3M's ever changing fashion statement through the years
    1960's: bluejeans, t-shirt, and sneakers
    1970's: bluejeans, t-shirt, and sneakers
    1980's: bluejeans, t-shirt, and sneakers
    1990's: bluejeans, t-shirt, and sneakers
    2000's: bluejeans, t-shirt, and sneakers
    2010's: bluejeans, t-shirt, and sneakers

Notes:
    Mom made us wear Sears Toughskins
    When I got my first job in the mid-70's I started buying my own Levi's
    Switched to Wranglers when I started having to pay my own rent.
    Turns out I liked them better anyway

3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

These days it would be two bucks or two does...

ghrit and RightHand like this.
  4. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Proud to state I have never once owned a pair of bell bottoms.
    ..or any of that lingere those "guys" were wearing. [tongue]

But I do remember gals in miniskirts. [coo]
    [​IMG]
    I didn't own any of those either. [shoked][eek3]NO!![tongue]

Motomom34, Ganado, RightHand and 3 others like this.
  5. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

9 cracked me up. Holy crap I can't believe they used models so pasty and out of shape! They should be drinking Keystone in broken down armchairs strewn across a weedy yard outside a singlewide. The kind with a toilet for a flower pot and a stripped out 1973 El Camino up on blocks.

I was still being dressed like my mom's fantasy doll during the 70s but I had an older brother in a rock band who dressed like Superfly. Generally with a girl on each arm. All of my brothers had long crazy hair and wore bellbottoms but I don't recall any of them in a cable knit sweater holding a chicken. I did walk on one holding a chicken neck once though....

26 looks like Zach Galifianakis from The Hangover.

Motomom34 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Hey now, I still have my yellow 'pimp' outfit and wear it around the house for the wife from time to time.

Motomom34, RightHand and kellory like this.
  7. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Getting results? [LMAO]

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Hey Gator, does that Outfit include a Wide Brimmed Hat as well..... Oh, and I forgot to add the Mink Coat with Tails.....

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Hey, We like to play sexy dressie up time every so often!

I
    Why yes that's it! Also my gold rimmed rose colored glasses!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2015
    BTPost and RightHand like this.
  10. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Spoken like a true southern gentleman LOL

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

I have always been a bluejeans, t-shirt, and sneakers guy. Where did they find people that would wear that clothing. Most of the ads look like they came out of Castro Street in San Francisco.

12. Mountainman

Notice anything different from this photo in the 70's compared to one that would be taken today??? Try getting that many teenage girls together and not having many noticeable overweight ones in it.

Yard Dart, NotSoSneaky and Motomom34 like this.
  13. Mountainman

You beat me to it before my post on the hugeness today.

NotSoSneaky likes this.
  14. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

I too wore Sears toughskins, they came in all kinds of colors. In the seventh grade I started wearing waffle stompers, black t-shirts, levis, black t-shirt (usually concert ) and a flannel shirt.
    Forty years latter, danner work boots, carhartt t-shirts, and Costco blue jeans.

I remember some of the older kids had embraced the disco craze and were sporting silk or polyester pants and shirts, and the disco shoe/boot. My father had some really wide ties but never wore the leisure suit. Remember the bell bottoms?

3M-TA3 likes this.
  15. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I wore Air Force Blue during part of this time... with a few turtle necks sweaters and jeans and plaid pants....

16. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The same could be said for us guys... A couple weeks ago I was feeling nostalgic and caught an old episode or two of "The Love Boat". What immediately caught my eye was how everybody on the shows, even the comic relief "fat guys", was how skinny everybody was compared to today. When these shows were new, those people were normal sized and it didn't stand out. Today, much different story.

It almost made me put my bowl of ice cream down...

Mountainman likes this.
  17. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

In 1975, Mom wanted us to be "mod" and briefly deviated from toughskins. I wound up starting the 9th grade with plaid bell bottoms, platform shoes, and polyester shirts. I refused to wear the Scooby-Doo Fred style neckerchief. By the end of the year all was blissfully back to normal.

vonslob, chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7