What parts would you recomemend stocking?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by eeyore, Oct 10, 2010.

1. eeyore

eeyore Monkey+++

I would like to get recomendations on what parts to stock as replacement and or what firearms parts have you replaced already on the ones you own?

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Each gun is a universe unto itself. What gun do you want to stock up for?

3. eeyore

eeyore Monkey+++

I recently traded for an AK and have several others. I know springs are obvious but did not know what else maybe prone to stop a firearm from working

4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Magazine springs are one that a lot of folks forget about...

5. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Anything that makes your bang stick go bang more than once. Extractors w/related pins, springs, and parts. Firing pins/strikers w/springs, pins, and parts. Two sets for all firearms.

jim

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Personally, in order to stay in shape, when I buy a weapon, I choose them in groups of small medium and large calibers...then I ALWAYS buy at least 2, most times 3 ( spare parts can easily be cannibalized on many mnodels) of each.

7. -06

-06 Monkey+++

There are kits available for most rifles that include the most failure prone parts. Get a copy of Shotgun News and look under some of the larger dealers in milsurp stuff.

8. eeyore

eeyore Monkey+++

Thanks for the tips

9. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

The problems with parts and me is that parts always make themselves into new guns. ;)

I think having a small parts repair kit for each weapon is a plus and I do what DF does- buy in twos or more. That way, you have spare parts and when you have to, you can cannibalize.

Important to this concept is commonality. Think about what your friends/family have. Think about what's common here in the US. Pick your weapon systems accordingly.

Also, don't forget about things like weapons oil, batteries (for optics/lights), and tools. A broken case extractor could be a lifesaver. Ideally, attaching a cleaning kit, spare parts, batteries, oil, and all the tools needed to tighten bolts or screws to the weapon makes it a more complete weapon system. Then if you get caught out with nothing but that weapon, you can make most repairs if need be. New stocks, pistol grips, and certain slings with storage make this an option.

10. rictus

rictus Monkey+

An entire gun is an extremely expensive "parts kit". Personally, I don't bother. I have several guns, and if one breaks, I'll order the part. If shtf, there will be plenty of guns to scrounge from the dead.

11. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Ok.... I am seeing a pattern in your posting here..... [troll]

I could be wrong and you could be that naive.

12. skipm

skipm Monkey+

On military type weapons try to find a copy of what is in a field armorers kit and let that be a guide, otherwise think about what parts get the highest wear.
    Springs, firing pin, extractor, roll pins, etc.
    In a weapon like an AR-15 there are field maintenance kits or you could just get a lower parts kit as a spare. Add a bolt and cleaning stuff for the gas tubes and you should be up and running.
    If this is an educational endeavor then think about simple firearms, for a handgun I like a Glock. It has 35ish parts total, real simple to clean and with a small amount of training you can learn to tear it down to parts and reassemble it back into a functioning weapon.

13. Diddy

Diddy Monkey+

I agree with this. Spare parts are good and necessary but the best spare part is an identicle firearm. It may cost you more money but it is just so logical and smart.

14. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

gunkidelite5ko-1.

15. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

For your combat rifles get an armorers kit for each. I over buy mags and then save the good parts from the ones that brake. Most of the time it is hte mags lips that go bad not the springs.

16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Extractors, Springs, and Pins, are the usual.... For the HardCore, an extra Barrel or two... (Just in case you have to DUMP One) Many weapons that have Gas Pistons, will need a replacement, and a reamer, For LONG Term maintenance. ..... YMMV....

17. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I probably keep the same items as everyone else. For ARs I buy the rebuild kits because everything is in the blister package; the same applies to AKs and FALs except no kits.
    Gas port punches, chamber brushes etc. and dental picks to pick out junk and debris.

I'm not complusive; I've been shooting for over 50 years and stuff accrues. I am sure there are plenty of other monkeys who are part pack rat.
    :D

Sapper John likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7