What to buy

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oil pan 4, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

A very old lady was at pawn shop several years ago and was going to pawn 3 H&H a side by side .500 a Single .700 and a side by Side .700 that had belonged to her dead husband. All 3 Mint Condition in the wood cases with the full H&H Kits. Pawn guy was offering her $600 for the lot. She was about to take it and I chimed in that At Least $60,000 for the lot would be a much more fair price and the pawn broker would probably still pull another $100,000 or more profit when he resold them. Pawn guy went ballistic on me, Lady asked me to help her carry the guns back to her car. I am now forever more banned from that pawn shop. I have an Uncle that is a very avid high end gun collector and called him to see if he would be interested in them. The Next day I drove the lady up to the Uncles by Shelbyville and he inspected the guns and offered her $210,000 for all three. She took it and Uncle gave me the Single .700 and said enjoy your new $60,000 rifle. According to the Lady her husband would do a big game hunt in Africa every year and would take those rifles. And that they were quite wealthy don't know what caused her to be not quite so wealthy in the 20 years or so after her husbands passing but she was on hard times. She ended up selling several other older guns to my uncle that belonged to her husband that are in cases and hanging in his collection display. I keep the .700 because it was a gift from a old skinflint uncle that does not give gifts to anyone... OK not so old.... only a year older than me but still a skinflint. I have shot the gun 5 times over the last 10 years and visited the Old Lady a couple times per month (Esther was her name) Until she died 2 years back. Went to her funeral and there were a whopping 3 other people that attended none of which were her family. Always a subject she avoided when we talked LOL she wanted to talk about flowers and her goldfish and hear about things on my farm. Anyway that is how I came to posses a H&H .700 Nitro Express.

GrayGhost, SB21, AD1 and 13 others like this.
  2. I remember a fictional short story I read as a kid, "A Gun for Dinosaur" ,S.F. time travel.. Don't remember the author. The .700 was described as able to knock a T-rex "end over apex dead". Probably large enough for most game on this continent. As Ruark said "use enough gun"

3. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Quite a story there Thunder. I most likely would have done the same thing. There's always another pawnshop.

Gator 45/70 and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  4. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I miss the old gal she was 94 and as sharp as a tack. Made me turn red faced more than a few times. She liked to hit Dairy Queen when I visited and on the way back to her house one trip she asked if I would put up one of those under cabinet can openers for her. I said sure if you have a screw driver. She said "I would screw the driver if I was 40 years younger but not these days dear." And went on eating her ice cream cone with a evil little grin on her face. When we got back she went to a closet and came back with a screw driver set and said this will just have to do.

Capt. Tyree, SB21, GOG and 7 others like this.
  5. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

think i would have enjoyed her company ... [rockon]

6. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Dude, that's just priceless!

SB21, Thunder5Ranch and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Old people really know how to pack some heat.

SB21, Thunder5Ranch and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Looking around and the funky stuff is sill kind of cheap.
    Slow firing bolt action big stuff.
    I would say it also includes 6.5cm and 308. The bolt action rifle prices I'm seeing appear to be low normal range and there's plenty ammo for them. But limited to no 308 ammo in some places it seems.

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  9. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

Just listening to Triumph, lay it on the line. I was jokingly thinking about the question asked in the thread and thought about that video I saw of a 45/70 derringer! I've seen someone selling 45/70 revolvers also! Great first guns for someone! This reminds me of when I was in the third grade and shooting my uncles 12 gauge when he had me shoot both barrels at the same time.

10. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

One of the kids was hesitant about shooting any thing larger than a .22pistol. One day we were at the range with a range bag. Pulled out a .22 revolver, fired at targets and then another couple of pip guns. All was well as I was going over different action types and reloading. I kept up a constant banter and slowly confidence returned. I added one more short barreled revolver,same talk about safety and how to sights worked. Target was acquired sighted in and boom.
    Kid looked over at me and said "Dad you didn't say how big that gun was! I ask "Did it hurt you? Did you hit the target? Do you want to shoot it again? One no and two yes and then a smile covered her face and we finished the day on the Ruger 45 Colt with target loads.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    GOG, Gator 45/70, Oddcaliber and 3 others like this.
  11. Clarion

Clarion Monkey

I want a PMR 30.
    semi auto 12 gauge (not sure what brand or model)
    survival rifle 22LR - Ruger I guess.

Fantasy list:
    M1 Garand
    HK-5
    LE 4 MK 1

Thoughts or suggestions.

12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

What is your level of experience with FireArms? Why are these particular FireArms on your “Must have List” over other types, and Calibers? Have you actually Fired, Cleaned, and, or preformed Maintenance, on any of these FireArms? When you have done your due diligence, and can answer these questions, then you are ready to ask the questions possed above...

jim2, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have a PMR30 it's ok. They are not normally completely trouble free. Needs some work to get it to shoot right.
    I have Ruger 10/22 one regular and an integrally silenced take down. Don't get a takedown 10/22. If you want to silence a 10/22 screw a silencer on the end of it

Gator 45/70, HK_User and Clarion like this.
  14. Clarion

Clarion Monkey

I used to shoot a lot when I was younger. I have done research, but I'm not a know it all, that's why I'm here.
    ROI is important to me.

Is it possible to drive to Alaska now due to the Wuhan virus, or has Canada completely shut the border to non Alaska residents?

Thanks!

15. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

You cannot legitimately think of firearms as investments. They are tools, and unless you own one of not too many high dollar collector items, chances are they will NOT increase in value fast enough to make a return. The return you want is the one that comes with learning to use the tool for it's designed reason and for the pleasure and confidence that gives you (which I suppose could be viewed as return on expense or bang for buck.) Now, considering that, your reason to own becomes the focus of why any particular tool is on your wish list.

Ganado, HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Shoot man, If you're selling a firearm these days and not making money on it then you're doing it wrong!

HK_User likes this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I say sell stuff when you dont need to, just do it because the price is high.

HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@Clarion Nope, You can not drive to Alaska, yet... Canada is still CLOSED to USA Citizens... The only way to get into Alaska is by Boat, or Plane, and you are REQUIRED to either, get a Negative Covid Test with 72 Hours before arriving in State, OR, test Negative at Port-of Entry, or Isolate at your own expense for 14 days... Those are the choices..

Clarion, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  19. Clarion

Clarion Monkey

Thank you HK_User!

The world has gone mental. I can go by boat with vehicle I think for around 2K. Is that about right?
    I've not had the flu or a cold in more than 25 years. Not sure why. I never get sick.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2021
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Tully Mars and Clarion like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7