WHAT TO DO IF A NUCLEAR DISASTER IS IMMINENT! (dirty bombs)

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by learningsurvivor, May 20, 2012.

1. Pezz likes this.
  2. Harbin

Harbin Monkey+

Just read through that, good stuff most people here probably already know but I enjoyed. Especially the part indicating how thick materials need to be to shield from radiation. Makes me feel better knowing my basement walls are 10" thick. I'd like to find a spec for glass windows...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Google "lead glass" which is used to shield remote working cell windows. You can't afford it unless there is some on the surplus or salvage markets. It works for alpha, beta, and gamma radiation. Neutrons just blast on thru.

If you keep below the exterior ground line in the basement, you should be good to go against incident radiation of most flavors, unless you are in ground zero, or in the heat affected areas.

4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Sandbagging the windows if feasible will add mass that will reduce the amount of ionising radiation penetrating the building. YMMV depending on the material used for shielding...packaging foam peanuts are bulky, but won't stop much.

5. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

With a nuclear event; if you miss the immediate affects, the fall out etc; the prevailing wind pattern can get you.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7