What would happen if gun grab did go thru?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by duane, Apr 3, 2018.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Lets look at very recent history.

Iraq has (or had) a reported population of 37 million, more or less. This in a area the size of just a bit more than the State of Texas. (Texas, BTW, has a population of 28 million) Calif has a population of 39 million.

The US sent 235,00O troops to Iraq, and they could not disarm the population.....control outside of a few concentrated areas was an open question, at best.

Operationally, the Army has approximately 190,000 soldiers forward stationed across 140 countries.
    In FY 2016, total Army end strength was 1,030,000 soldiers: 483,000 Active soldiers, 200,000 in the Army Reserve, and 348,000 in the Army National Guard. Of these, very few are 'real' combat troops - grunts, door kickers, etc....

Also, you may remember the Rodney King Riots in LA (and other areas)
    On the fourth day, 3,500 federal troops — 2,000 soldiers of the 7th Infantry Division from Fort Ord and 1,500 Marines of the 1st Marine Division from Camp Pendleton — arrived to reinforce the National Guardsmen already in the city. The Marine Corps contingent included the 1st Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, commanded by John F. Kelly. This federal force took 24 hours to deploy to Huntington Park, about the same time it took for the National Guardsmen. This brought total troop strength to 13,500. Federal troops and National Guardsmen directly supported local police in restoring order;- this in addition to thousans of LAPD, LA County, Calif State Troopers and so on.

All of these troops to control a the 7-by-15-mile area known as south-central Los Angeles. Not the city, or the county - but a small part of the city.

Right now there are more active gang members than the US has combat troops.....

GOG, Zimmy, UncleMorgan and 7 others like this.
  2. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Another factor to add in , I've been watching YT video about the most heavily armed states. My state Louisiana is ranked #10! An average of 15 guns pre 1000 residents. Other states did better and others worse . New York is #51.

UncleMorgan, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Must be a new state I haven't heard of unless DC is included.

4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I was so interested in your post that I went on YouTube and found the video. The middle ranker, say #21-#25 have about 11 firearms per 1000 people, not as much as I would have thought. Here are some numbers. I cut off the decimal but as example Alaska had 15.2 per thousand to put them a hair over Louisiana.

#1 Wyoming 195 firearms per 1000 people (again due to low population)
    #2 Wash D.C. 66 firearms per 1000 (Big shocker but due to low amount of people living there)
    #3 Arkansas 41 per 1000 people
    #4 New Mexico 40 per 1000 (this was shocker for me, I might have to reconsider here as warmer than Idaho plus Mex food!)
    #5 Virginia 30 per 1000 people
    #6 Idaho 24 per 1000 people
    #7 Alabama 20 per 1000 people
    #8 Nevada 19 per 1000 people
    #9 Alaska 15 per 1000 people
    #10 Louisiana 15 per 1000 people

5. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Yeah, DC was in the mix.

UncleMorgan and ghrit like this.
  6. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

7. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

15 per thousand? Damn, before the unfortunate pirogue accident my wife and I had that many each :)

Zimmy, UncleMorgan, oldawg and 5 others like this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Only 15! I think I might have lost that many, and not even that bad boating accident where I lost every thing! Now I'm way beyond the 15, I think they call me a super owner! Ok says me, just doing my part to save all the strays and unloved!

9. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Kanada had the same BS over the years , In the 60's my rifles were in my trucks back PU window in the gun racks , Ammo in the folding seat (Middle part for the center uncomfortable ride ) keys were left in the ign or on the floor . NOW the bs rules protect the ones who would tamper with others stuff , then the kids would be disciplined or beaten to a pulp ..

there are more non reported because the friken .GOV said to Canuks , to buy ammo you need a card , & with that card , WE the .GOV / Police can search your house without a warrant AND we run a crimes report on you daily !!

YA that made the smart ones get smarter & the rest buy into this overreach BS.

Your see SHTF the cops or Mounties around , they be hidden or in their group that they are tough in .

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and Oddcaliber like this.
  10. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

I'm doing my best to get us moved up the list! LOL

11. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I think you are wrong about Louisiana,bad wrong. In the little town were I live I know of at least 10 people with 100+ guns in a parish of about 6000. I am 75 and do not know of anybody that does not have at least 3 guns,a shotgun,a deer rifle and a handgun of some kind. There are more guns in the south and have been since the war of northern aggression.

12. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

It's when I read a thread like this that my hopes for the future are strengthened. You are all the kind of people that make America the greatest Nation in the world.

13. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

Where are they getting those numbers? That list seems way low. Says Idaho has 24/1000. I don't think I personally know anyone who doesn't have at least one gun. Most have many more.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Perhaps it's taken from those lists of 4473's they say don't exist:whistle:

I'm proud to see that my adopted state has made the top 10, and while I think the number may be a bit low it doesn't surprise me. Many in the larger cities may not have as many as those of us that live out in the sticks. I know MANY folks around that pride themselves on purchasing their firearms FtF with no paper trail, and the build yer own thing has gained much momentum. I myself have hosted a few build parties where I offer the tools and guidance free of charge to further the cause. I make it a point not to even handle their projects, but hey what kind of man would I be if I didn't help out my neighbors?:D

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  15. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I think they use manufactures data and records of production not counting military and LE to arrive at a number, then some how compare the state's population based on the numbers of hunting licences, and addresses of hunters, CC permits, registration if required, ect.
    I do not believe the stats one bit, I think it' a broad generalisation based on partial data. What about all the pre serialized arms? Ghost guns, stuff bought and sold before BGCs? An awefull lot of firearms off the books and owned by folks who keep quite about It! Oregon would be number 1 based on the population minus the three big cities, but count them and that state drops way down the list. Colorado, if your not in Denver or Bolder or one of the hoity toity sky resort towns, would also top the list of numbers vs population! I would bet the other pro2nd States would be much the same.

16. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I agree, I don't know how anybody could get an accurate count on total firearms per state without it being a wild guess. How many firearms have you ever scrapped? How many are built daily from parts on 80% or wholly self manufactured receivers? Counting NICS transfers only helps back to GCA68, and is still useless, since it could over-count transfers of the same gun, and completely miss any transfer between dealers, CCW permit holders and private sales where no NICS call is required. Don't your guns move when you do? Census data? You must be joking!
    Maybe they count "legally registered" guns, whatever that is. That only works for law abiding people who are willing to trust the government with this information. 50/50 at best is my bet.

og-shadow-regulation_0.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Tully Mars, Oddcaliber and Motomom34 like this.
  17. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

any of the "gun counts" is just total BS - when they rolled out the CCW permitting for IL they made an initial guess at the numbers based on the state FOID program - got blown away by the #s - only off by 300% - all kinds of guns & gunowners that are in the shadows ....

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  18. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

These numbers are pure BS. My state isn't even in the top ten? Hell, even my lib grand daughter has one and knows how to use it. And the rest of my grands aren't anywhere near lib. If these are the numbers they are counting on me thinks two days into a gun grab some of their "collectors" are going to be very hard to find. Hint: look for the smoke from non-turbo backhoes. Some of those might even be operated by our redder county sheriff's deputies.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

You are very correct. Many guns are passed down through generations. To get a true gun count is impossible. The feds know about the ones that you bought at a gun store, they do not know about the ones you bought from a private sale.

20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Shhhh! They already want to close that "loophole" in cali, and maybe other places as well. No sense to draw attention to it, eh?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7