What would you barter with?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by monkeyman, Sep 28, 2006.

Tags:
  1. ricdoug

ricdoug Monkey+++

Leadership...

Having lead Marine Regiments into Battle on Numerous occassions, I have developed a toolbox of People Skills and can "Put Up" with the Best and Meanest, if required. We keep plenty of fresh (replaced yearly) seeds onhand for resewing the Earth. Field Dressing many types of game as well as Water Purification expertise. Most likely, I would just buckle down in my Homestead and Snipe Agressors. Ric

2. duanet

duanet Monkey+++

If you go to any antique store in New England, you often run across one or two man crosscut saws. You use them to cut down trees and a buck saw or bow saw to cut the firewood up. Cheap, don't use any gas and last a long time. If you don't want to use them for sawing, the swede ones have some excellent steel for knives. Now the saws are no good if not sharp as blazes. You can still buy the sets and such to sharpen them and I know that people pay me good money to sharpen chainsaw blades now. What will they give to sharpen the saw when it may be the difference between life and freezing. Same with butchering, smoking or jerking meat, first aid care, drying or canning fruits and vegtables. A good ax, hatchet, maul, pick axe, hoe and the ability to make good handles will always be in demand. I don't think that housing will be a problem if shtf. If a good portion of the people don't make it, there will be a lot of extra houses and realisticly there will probably be 15 - 20 people living in one house for mutual survival. I am 69 years old and would rather think that a group of people would rather have someone with hand tools, sharpening skills, gardening skills, seeds, fertilizer, insectaside, a dozen cords of dry wood, 4 wood stoves and a house that can be heated by wood, a well with a hand pump, 3/4 acres now in garden and hope to have a greenhouse soon. Hate boughten tomatoes and getting afraid of store bought greens. I have several guns and a lot of ammo. Rotate my older ammo through the local police department. I think it is better to have the local police scrounge ammo from you than worry about them seizing it. Teach gun safety and such to the local police department as well. If things do shtf, I expect to store my ready ammo at the police station. Now cache stuff is different. I also reload and can cast several different calibers and size and lube them. The local garage has given me about 50 lbs of wheel weights and I bought a few lbs of 50 - 50 solder to alloy it with. I think that at least in my case the best barter is to have the local people in a rural community think that they really want you around for a lot reasons and most of them because of skills that you have and because their dad thought a lot of you and talked of hunting with you when they were kids. I don't think that it hurts when your neighbors refer to your place as the place whith the garden or the man that fixes tools or the man that teaches the hunter safety course they need to get their first hunting liscence. Well I don't know what will happen in 10 years, but up to this point, I get a lot of help from my neighbors and I think my chances would be a lot higher in a shtf situation in a group than alone.

3. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Anyone need a slightly pyschotic, no fear, trigger happy nutcase to be their personal bodyguard or do security? [sawgunner]

'Will shoot for food.' [LMAO]

4. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Think your resume needs alittlework, I think he's got you beat there tailor...Ofcourse 'zalways "blackwater"...

5. TailorMadeHell

Shoot, someone beat me to the punch. Okay, my last offer. Anyone need target practice? [LMAO]

As far as skills go, I really need to brush up on that and get some. Haha. However, with your skills you have to ask yourself would you feel stressed out in that situation if too many people started relying on you for their every need instead of actually trying to do some things for themselves?

I will do what I can to survive, I may even become a scrounger. I'm sure that there will be lots of things people need and some areas they might not want to go to get them because of radiation, MZBs or what have you. I could just do gathering and barter what I find in hot zones. Might be useful.

6. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Hey man no offense, I'm lucky my wife keeps me around...Got up yesterday felt weird described it to my wife (the R.N.)she said sounds almost likea touch of "motivation", I returned "I better go sit down 'til it goes away...
    Lucky for me, she still keeps me around forcomic relief...
    I've had medium sized stroke walk with a limp, can't really run... and my left hand leaves something to be desired, last time I did 8hours of "heavy labor "( turning over garden last october) thought I'd never get through our little patch.

Well us well intentioned old useless folks will have to band together, "old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill eh"!! Wisconsin is really nice inthe spring summer, and fall, Winter's have been mild lately...If I get a for real isolated homestead retreat someday : you can feed the rabbits and help me man the tower and do the landcscaping( remember "this side towards enemy"). [sawgunner][peep]
    Old trappers did okay, they may not have been the fastest or strongest but you work it out..
    I just don't want the nwo to declare me a "burden on society" because I refuse to work in their factiories making useless widgets.

7. TailorMadeHell

I can guarantee there will be no widget labor forced on anyone if I can help it.

'Old and gray ye may be, though still there is a use for thee. Teach the young and learn them good, like plucking chickens and choppin' wood. Straighten this country up for you and I, make it right again before I die. Lend your wisdom my old friend, for the bravery and tenacity of yesteryear may save us in the end.'

A few words....

'Never surrender. Never accept defeat. Never sleep, until your enemies lie at your feet.'

'Someone has to bring the wisdom of ages to the ears of the young.'

There will be a usefullness for all that have a mind to be useful. Whether it be strength, wisdom or know-how, there will be a need that almost everyone can supply a solution for.

Farm work is good. I like working around a farm. May not be the brightest star in the sky, though I do get by. Haha.

8. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I dunno man , 46 old? feels old, just salt n pepper gray, Lately I just think old, It a lousy ( however convenient) excuse for not pushing myself too hard..
    aim small; miss small....

9. TailorMadeHell

Ah, your just gaining on the halfway point. Not old, just really relaxed. Haha. If I judge my old age, I would have to go with the idea that I am just a few years past my mid-life. My grandfather died when he was 51 or 52. I can never remember. If that is any tell of anything, then I have some years left to go. However, I'm gonna live forever. Haha. Hope that my health is as good as it is now as when I'm twice my age. I had a great uncle that served in the war and he ran around the last few years of his life in a nursing home hunting germans. I hope I don't go out like that. I aim to go out fighting. Fighting a bear or mad invader sounds good to me. Just hope it's not the fight to keep my mind.

Sounds like you have a good lady to keep you busy and on your toes. Was said to me once that if you slow down you eventually grow old and die. My grandmother told me that. She is in her 60s and besides a current scare, she is more spry than I. So that says something for staying active. Not only in body, but in mind as well.

Treachery? Naw, I prefer to be 'Tactically Sneaky'. Sounds better anyways. Haha.

10. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Think i'll grag the camera bag and a daypack dress warm and go out to a wildlife area tomorrow try to get a pic of a furbearer, or two...( nutria, otter) its a wetland.... get some fresh air in the brainbox..

11. TailorMadeHell

I know what ya mean. I sometimes have to drag myself from this place, besides work, and get some fresh air. I don't really like to go out anywhere around here as the people scare me. Haha. Hope you get some great shots. Have fun.

12. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

We're alot alike except; I think I scare people...( I'm not real crazy about them either, so its fair).

13. TailorMadeHell

I can see that. My deal is that I don't scare people. There are those that should indeed be really afraid if the laws of society went away. I am not an altogether psychopath, I just have a strong belief in what is right and wrong and see some of the blatant wrongs are flying in the face of common decency and common sense. The whole 'birds of a feather' thing gets me. I understand it, and I tend to drift towards people that have some of the same beliefs as me, however that could be the reason out here that I don't have many 'friends'.

These people make me think that this place is an entirely different planet. I look around and I can see only a few things that are anything like back home. There is a big park here that has some areas that are trails and woods. There are some transplants here that are from back east and living in this same nightmare. Other than that, it is hard to see anything that is as good as back home. Scary stuff happens out here.

Funny thing? In a way, you could say that I came from CA. My grandmother on my mom's side was born and raised in CA. Couldn't tell it by talking with her. Must be that she was from the area closer to Sacramento. Some place called Apple Valley, I think. It must be a country livin' area. Then again, they did leave CA. Naw, I'm Southern and that's that. Haha.

14. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well then to if you go back 75 to 100 years its my understanding that Cali wasnt the fruit and nut farm lib hole that it is now, even by the standards of the day.

15. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

"socal" is beyond my comprehension( just won't fit in the mellon)... I was stationed at Mather afb in Sacramento from 79-83 (nowclosed). Used to ride my 79 honda xl500 throught the amador"gold"country with a tent and sleeping bag lashed to a rack...explore some dirt roads and spend the evening. went to anaheim (disney/knottsberry farm) once all I remember is traffic.Sierra's are pretty nice if not alittle "touristy", Yosemite,truckee, donner pass,and lake tahoe make for nice daytrips.

16. TailorMadeHell

I see that CA has set some standards of society being they have Hollyweird and all. It's a trickle effect and if it starts here in CA, others will follow. Where does your big entertainment come from? CA then it moves throughout the country. Where do the tourists go? CA, then they head back home taking with them sights and sounds and possibly even ideas from here.

CA is a big state for lots of stuff. Movie trends come from here. Some idiot makes a movie and Hollyweird loves it, they run with it. Pretty soon the theaters across America are playing this movie that shows what the idiots beliefs are then soon you and your family are exposed to it. And we all know there are those that are naive enough to be influenced by on-screen dribble enough to change their own beliefs in exchange for others because it's popular.

Where is this Compton you hear so much about in Rap music? It's out here. I will admit that I listen to 'rap' though it is not the dribble of someone wanting to do drugs, slap the hos, and drink 40s. I like the beat and words of songs if they have a meaning behind and they are promoting a change for the better or are telling a story that is real and not something promoting a life of stickin' it to the man or get whitey or slap around women. That type just grates on my nerves. Though most wannabe's out there are influenced by it and start becoming Thuggy McThug.

If you could do a satellite thermo scan of the US to find pansies, CA would most definitely show up as a bright pink blob on the image. I have heard someone say, 'Don't judge CA by looking at S.F. We are not all the same.' Well, let's just say that I know there are certain pockets that hold some good ol' boys and girls though they are few and far between. Scenery is great, I have always thought that, though people on the most part suck. Who is here? Pansy liberal idiots that are giving away their very freedoms in order to appease some idiots that shouldn't even matter. I think the term PC was special ordered for CA. Could be wrong, though don't think I am.

So we have people without backbones here. There are tons of illegals. If I could hunt illegals, my bag limit would be filled in two seconds. Rich hunting ground and the gov can't find them? Someones not doing their job. Wonder why the water is said to be nasty around here? They pump 'clean and filtered' sewage back into the ocean. Don't know if the process is good or bad for nature, just know that most of our waters are considered really dangerous in quality.

Want to own a gun? Forget about it. If you have a straw that shoots peas and the peas have an off angle as they aren't perfectly round, you'll most likely find it on the AWB. Want to call a black guy a black guy? A mexican, a mexican? Wrong. You will be harrassed by the PC police. People are just too damn busy trying to run MY life that they aren't caring for their own and are walking around with flawed visions of a dream stuck in their head.

Want to talk education? So many 'universities' in this one town and yet you see some of those same 'graduates' flippin' burgers at the fast food chains. Oh, but they know about the civil war, equality of rights and how to file grievances for the slightest offense against them. Thin skinned pansies, the lot of 'em.

Yes, I do believe that there was a time when it was just another state and everyone was sane, though now I think there is definitely something in the water. Reminds me of mexico. Don't drink the water.

Ah, another lovely day in 'Paradise' to be sure. Brings up a really important thing to mind, 'I wish I were in Dixie, hooray hooray'. Haha. Oh wait, I can't say that too loud or they might come get me. It might be prejudiced and all.

Well until next time, keep your powder dry and beware the pansies.

Just another 'I can't believe I actually came to this place' thought.

17. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Ammo and my skills with Metal working and firearms repair.
    And my wife’s medical and dentistry skills.

18. snowbyrd

snowbyrd Latet anguis in herba

Where and how

[dunno] would you barter?[dunno] At your 'free holding'? at a swap meet place? as a 'tinker', traveling around? rondevouse? (great spelling that one) How many TMH do [gun]U need [sawgunner][gun2][elim][gun][gun] Probably 50 or better[banghead] Now who is in control? [whiteflag] snowbyrd

19. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

:?: [shrug] :eek: I need an aspirin.

20. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

[fnny][LMAO]

1. arleigh
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Zimmy
  4. Motomom34
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. arleigh