What would you barter with?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by monkeyman, Sep 28, 2006.

Tags:
  1. ISplatU

ISplatU Monkey+

I will trade 22 ammo just because I have been buying it for that reason. I have around 8000 rounds now, and I doubt I will need that much my self.

Also, I may have to trade ammo for food as it is being fired out the barrel.[nono]

2. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

If someone doesn't have ammo in a survival situation that increases my families odds in survival. I have more 22lr than I will likely ever need as well, but unless it comes down to life and death for me or my family then I wont be trading any.

BWM

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That is 11 years of two tree rats a day, if you don't miss and can stand that much stew. And your life expectancy is how long? (No need to say, just consider.) Yep, you can probably trade some ammo, but I'd consider trading the rats for spuds, onions, and rhubarb.

[boozingbuddies]

4. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I would rather have more .22LR ammo and less gold/silver. JMHO

I think the difference here is from the our perspectives of how bad we expect things to get. This is just my personal opinion and some (most) won't agree with me. I don't like the paper system of money. I don't like the gold system either. While the paper system is a fallacy, I believe the gold to be as well. Gold is still treated as a credit system. I believe that if a situation is bad enough that I can't use my truly worthless paper at the grocery store, there will be a fundamental shift in how we do trade. Only skills/items that are useful to survival will be of value. A credit in gold won't feed, kill, clothe, shelter, or anything else. Gold will only put you on top if other people agree that it is valuable. I think people would much rather take your shoes, lighters, and weapons of your dead corpse while throwing the useless metal into a bucket to be used as fishing lures.

If it's catastrophic enough that you can't buy food people will change.

Gold is a useful investment opportunity. Maybe not as quick of a money maker as others, but steady none the less. I think if we are talking about an investment towards survivability and sustainability, gold is terrible. For the cost of a gold ounce, you could buy 37,000 rds of .22LR. That's enough for 101 years of eating squirrel once a day or enough for your lifetime and some real trade material.

As an investment, you are better off throwing that money into another stock market option that is currently growing and utilizing that return to buy real post-apocolyptic items of value. Again JMHO. I think investing is crap... I am a saver and stocker. I have a little more of my grandmother in me than most people these days. Everyone wants a quick buck.

5. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

Agree and disagree.
    My theory with SHTF scenarios - Think of free beer night at an AARP meeting: It all "Depends"

How bad will things get? If Mad Max? yes, PMs won't be worth anything.
    But if things hold together enough, then I know that the Gold I get for my Chicken can easily be traded for a Goat later on.
    Even in WWII Europe, there was enough commerce that people valued PMs.
    A nuclear holocaust? - nah - worthless.

6. fortunateson

More thoughts on this subject:

Classic black market luxury items:

Chocolate
    Coffee
    Tobacco
    Liquor

KAS likes this.
  7. sgt peppersass

sgt peppersass Monkey+

does anyone not have a ton of 22lr? i love that round, good choice man

8. sgt peppersass

sgt peppersass Monkey+

good idea, i didnt even think of liquor. id def trade off all of mine, its something that can only hurt you in a situation. but for some reason everyone always wants it

9. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

as long as you don't kill all the tree rats around.

10. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

exactly, PM's are an insurance policy that
    1. things won't be that bad
    2. civ will recover in your lifetime.

Although, let's say it doesn't and you have a orifice load of PM's then you could in a sense start your own economy and employ people and then say, "you are descended from the "gods" and become nobility." Aren't we living in the repercussion of that today?

11. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

Trade? Make your own alcohol and trade it...Trade anything you can produce...

12. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I recently traded some dressed bunnies for some machine work. I sometimes swap reloads for stuff or services. I helped can tomatoes for half the product. Barter is alive and well at Casa Seacowboys.

13. engineer1371

engineer1371 Monkey+

Well lets see as for items I have
    .22 rounds out the wazoo
    7.62x54r rounds in abundance
    9mm rounds
    3 HI-Point c9 pistols to trade/barter
    4 Mosin Nagant 91/31

my skills
    Former Combat engineer with the Marines can build and destroy about anything
    Emt
    and can also work on most vehicles.

jollyrodger13 likes this.
  14. fortunateson

Yup. No matter what the situation, people will always feed their vices.

15. VicinSea

VicinSea Monkey+

Well, I am hoping that knowledge will have value. I have made a life-long study of how to do many different things under primitive conditions.

Anyone want to trade shelter for a living encyclopedia of primitive skills?

Without plans or books, I can:

Preserve almost any kind of food by canning, drying, salting, larding, smoking, etc.

Build a bow and arrows from scratch.( And a few other weapons, as well.)

Make rawhide and tan leather.

Build a shelter with materials on hand--from grass to stones and anything in between.

Make beer, wine, and spirits from whatever materials are on hand.

Make bread from at least 10 different types of grain.

Make jerky, pemmican and other preserved meats.

Make a fish or eel trap, fishing nets, gloves, sweaters from scratch with materials on hand.

Build a smokehouse that will accommodate hundreds of pounds of fish or meat at a time.

Make candles and oil lamps from scratch. Braid lamp wicks and candle wicks.

Etc.

I don't have much supplies stored up because I have a lot of faith in my ability to find or make whatever I might need.

16. ISplatU

ISplatU Monkey+

Ok, I will take two! I will trade 22 ammo for two..."brains of knowlege" I will even throw in a SKS rifle.

17. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Lanterns and lamp oil might be a decent trade item.

18. cornmonkey

cornmonkey Monkey+

Hunt, fish, trap and track anything dang near anywhere. Sorta a hobby of mine. If i take it apart i can put it back together, build outa wood, metal and what ever is handy. Knowhow to plant and harvest plus put it up. Just a plain ol hillbilly. Might have a trade item or two about i reckon.

19. fortunateson

Start teaching!
    We're listening! :)

20. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

Calcium Hypochlorite

1. arleigh
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Zimmy
  4. Motomom34
  5. Asia-Off-Grid