What would you do.......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BTPost, Sep 27, 2011.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

BY JULIE SHAW
    Philadelphia Daily News
    shawj@phillynews.com 215-854-2592

This story was updated at 11 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 27.

ABOUT 11 P.M. on Sept. 9, dozens of youths with bats and pipes descended on a tidy residential area of Port Richmond looking for white teens who allegedly had attacked an African-American kid at Stokely Playground a couple of hours earlier.

Two fearful white teens spotted Mark LaVelle on Indiana Avenue near Belgrade Street and asked for help. Suddenly, the mob appeared. LaVelle, who said that he didn't know the two kids, who looked to be 13 or 14, ran with them into his nearby house.

" 'We got you, you white mother-------!' " LaVelle said he heard someone yell in the "mob" of black and Hispanic youths.

Inside his house, LaVelle, 37, called to his wife, Kim, 30, to go to their bedroom with their twin 13-month-old boys, Mark and Mason, and to call police. He also ordered his two other sons, 11 and 17, and his nephew, 7, to stay upstairs.

With the two teens hiding in the house, LaVelle, 5 feet 10, 220 pounds, a well-known sports-league organizer and coach in the community, went outside to try to calm the angry mob.

They were standing on his steps. One shouted, " 'Something's going to happen now!' " LaVelle recalled in an interview Friday at his house. LaVelle got nervous and went back inside, locking his door with a deadbolt.

But the attackers pounded on his front windows and kicked his wooden door so hard, it flew open and some of them entered his house.

"The first guy hits me with a pipe. The second guy knocks me in the face. All I'm hearing is my wife and kids screaming," said LaVelle, who feared that the next time they saw him, he would be in a casket.

He said that he was able to push the attackers out the door, but then a third man - who had a gun - tried to extend his arm. LaVelle grabbed onto the gunman's lower arm and shoulder so he couldn't raise the weapon. Then, police sirens screamed in the neighborhood, and the mob turned and ran.

LaVelle was able to identify three of the people from the melee. He said he did not know if they had been chasing the white teenagers, or if they were just trying to find someone to attack.

Police arrested Bergson Morin, 21, of Rosehill Street near Wyoming Avenue, Feltonville, as the man with the gun. They arrested Enrique Delgado, 32, of Rockland and C streets, Feltonville, as the man who hit LaVelle with the pipe. And they arrested a 17-year-old juvenile as the one who punched LaVelle in the face, giving him a black eye.

LaVelle said that the next day the mother of the juvenile came back with some other people, banging on his door, screaming. LaVelle, who was at a charity sports event, was called back to the house by one of his sons.

When he got home, LaVelle said, the mother yelled at him, " 'You white mother------, you got my kid locked up! You got my son locked up because he's black, you're white!' " The mother claimed that her son had been "a witness," not an attacker. To that, LaVelle said if that were true, it would come out in court.

But the mother, according to LaVelle, then yelled: " 'If you make it to court! I know where you live!' "

Police public affairs could not confirm yesterday if the mother has been arrested for making threats.

Patty-Pat Kozlowski, president of the Port Richmond on Patrol and Civic Association, said that police told her that the attack on LaVelle stemmed from the incident at Stokely Playground, Indiana Avenue and Thompson Street, a few blocks from LaVelle's house.

She heard that an African-American "kid got knocked off his bike or fell off" and white kids were laughing at him. The group of African-Americans and Hispanics came back for retaliation, Kozlowski believes.

She said she didn't know any of the people involved in the playground incident or in the attack on LaVelle. LaVelle said he also did not know anyone involved.

Morin and Delgado, who face charges of aggravated assault, conspiracy, burglary, weapons and related offenses, were scheduled to face a preliminary hearing in Municipal Court today, but the hearing got postponed to Nov. 7. Delgado, who is in state prison, was not brought down to the city. Also, both defense attorneys requested a lineup in the case, which the judge granted. Morin is in custody in county prison. Their family members could not be reached for comment Monday.

Freddy Godoy, Delgado's attorney, said yesterday that someone Delgado knows "was probably related to the child" who was attacked in the playground. But he contends that Delgado was not one of the people who attacked LaVelle.

Richard Patton, Morin's attorney, declined comment yesterday.

Kozlowski, a legislative aide to City Councilwoman Joan Krajewski and a lifelong Port Richmond resident, wrote about the attack in The Spirit community newspaper, which serves the river wards. Since then, the story has created a lot of buzz in the predominantly white neighborhood.

Kozlowski and Maryann Trombetta, president of the Port Richmond Town Watch, both recalled the murder of Sean Daily, a white teen who was beaten and shot by bat-wielding youths, mostly Latino, in May 1989.

They don't believe that the attack on LaVelle started as a racial incident, but believe that there was a racial element to it when the mob "called him a white mother------" and when the juvenile's mother allegedly threatened LaVelle.

LaVelle, who runs sports leagues composed of youths and adults of different races, said he doesn't want any retaliation on the people who attacked him. But the attack has instilled fear in him and his family, and he hopes that there will be more of a police presence in the neighborhood.

His wife is afraid to stay at home, and "every time I hear a car, I'm looking out the door," he said.

"It's not a good way to live."

For "Me" and Mine, The first Guy thru the door, would have been blown backwards, thru that same door, with 00 Buck, and Slugs, from my 12Ga.
    Stainless Winchester 1300 Pump Shotgun. The same would have happened to any other Yahoo, who tried to enter my Home, PERIOD. ........
    YMMV.......

Alpha Dog, tacmotusn, tulianr and 3 others like this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

00...Through the door...Apply as needed...
    The next day...More 00 through the door...Apply as needed...
    But then again we don't have this sort of ''problem'' in the south...
    Let the Sheeple stay in Penn. and learn how to defend themselve's...

Alpha Dog and Falcon15 like this.
  3. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

I don't know ,we got this thing called a castle law here .
    So you figure out what would happen.

Alpha Dog, tacmotusn and Falcon15 like this.
  4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Mobs that announce themselves are begging for an educational experience.

"But the attack has instilled fear in him and his family, and he hopes that there will be more of a police presence in the neighborhood."

Realistically the police cannot be there every moment; so he would be a lot better off if he'd buy a 12ga or whatever.

tacmotusn and tulianr like this.
  5. Opinionated

Opinionated Monkey+

I've been sitting here for five full minutes looking at this trying to come up with a reply that was not chucked full of profanity.

This is the best I can come up with; LaVelle IS AN IDIOT.

6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

''Choot Em''....Problem solved...
    The next gang of ''lil bastard's'' will think twice...

7. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

No peace loving person wants to kill. The difference is that the peace loving person WILL kill if he needs to. The peaceful sheep or cowards will lock their doors and hope help comes. It is when you hear the wolves at the door have to make that decision to say baaaa or take a step across the line and become a sheep dog.

Take care Be safe, Poacher.

BTPost and tulianr like this.
  8. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Ditto here, with a secondary field of fire from Mrs. Falc. She's worse than a momma bear.

tacmotusn, BTPost, Cephus and 2 others like this.
  9. beast

beast backwoodsman

id grabbed somethin and stood in my doorway
    prolly my machete or a pipe
    they def wouldnt a come in

10. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

Interesting scenario hmmm. Well, it would be messy for sure. My nearest neighbor was my old framing partner until I retired about 6 years ago. Since he doesn't live here full time, my nearest neighbors would be the coyote's. It would cause me to have to borrow my friends extend a hoe and work all day. Do any of you know how much digging you would have to do to get rid of the mess ? LOL Not to mention the amount of diesel you would have to replace in the hoe. 580 case's do not get good mialage. LOL

BTPost and Falcon15 like this.
  11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Philadelphia is not to be confused with the rest of Penna. LaVelle would not have been able to go home that night if he'd done what could be done anywhere else in the state with buck and ball; he would have had a room in the local hoosegow. They have rules in Philly, you see.

Falcon15 likes this.
  12. Falcon15

This, among other things, is why I live where I live. We have laws that allow us to use "buck and ball" to protect us and ours against forcible entry and violent, possibly deadly intruders. Once they are on my grass, if they do not heed reasonable warning to leave, they face escalated force. I would be protected under the very laws of my state. Oh, sure, there would be consequences, and they could be monetarily expensive. However, I would trade every penny I have, even money I would have to beg or borrow for the ability to protect my family and myself. The alternative being, of course, untenable in my eyes.

The mother - showing up to blame the family for the actions of her obviously poorly raised child is one of the symptoms of our entitlement society. Since she is obviously trapped in her own delusional world, and would not leave peaceably, I would have had to break out the Universal Translator and make my meaning perfectly clear. Personally it is not the color of a person's skin that matters, it is the content of their character.

In legal speak if you are a member of the "mob" participating in these crimes, here in Texas, you are just as guilty as someone who swung a fist or brandished a weapon, or stole an item. Hence why if you are party to a crime, and your partner(s) are killed during commission of that crime, even if you did nothing other than stand there, you are charged with Murder. The courts handle the finer points of deciding guilt or innocence (ostensibly).

If you live in Kommiedelphia, I am not harping on you or your fine *ahem* city. I am saying I would never consider moving there. Ever. If I had the misfortune of living there, I would be seeking employment and living accommodations elsewhere. Just my opinion. YMMV.

STANGF150, BTPost and tulianr like this.
  13. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

My politically correct answer...

Why i'd call the police or run over to my nextdoor neighbor who preps.....

What would probably happen under our castle doctrine... i would hate to guess but my call to 911 would include the request for ambulances and a coroners wagon...

STANGF150, BTPost and Falcon15 like this.
  14. Falcon15

How it plays out at my house:

Cephus, STANGF150, BTPost and 3 others like this.
  15. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

PHILADELPHIA SUCKS !!! ...[beat] jmho
    This would not happen where I live! No way, no how!

Falcon15 likes this.
  16. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

If a man is at his home that's as far as he can go to avoid trouble. If Im in my home and a group of thugs came to bust through my front door for what ever reason. I will do my best to drop everyone that enters my home wheather they be 10 years old or 60 years old. At that point it all becomes about the safety of me and mine. What really bothers me about this and Im not wanting to offend anyone, but I am a proud white male and I judge no one by color, I judge them by the type of person they are. If this had been a group of white boy's chasing two black or hispanic boy's and they ran to a black or hispanic home and the white boy's busted the door open with a gun struck the black or hispanic home owner. They would have classified this as a hate crime and the Feds and media would have been all over this. No reasoning of any kind from the white boy's would have been excepted. Mark my words this will turn and the two white boy's that beat up the black boy and was chased by the mob will be made to look like they beat the black boy up because of his skin color and the one's arrested will be given lesser charges if any. Because they were a target of a hate crime the offender's becomes the victim's and the victim's become the offender's.

Cephus likes this.
  17. dystopia

dystopia Monkey+

In a large part of America if a mob broke into your home and you defended yourself and your family it would seem to be a logical thing to do and you acted with common sense. That being said, that's not the way it is in the big cities. Politics and race would become a over riding issue. Stupid statements like you could have shot to wound or he was just turning his life around would be heard. This may seem nonsensical because it is, but to political org. including police and court systems they would throw you under the bus in a heartbeat to keep the peace.

18. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Sounds like he had a "Target Rich Environment" on his lawn - Florida has the 'Castle Doctrine', and the first barstage that broke my door down and stepped into my home would have no face - buck shot makes such a mess of things.....

"Officer, they illegally enterred my home with WEAPONS, and I was in FEAR FOR MY LIFE and that of MY FAMILY - so I fired in SELF-DEFENSE!"

Nuff said......

As to the 'woman' who told the man "I know where you live!".....

"Ditto, baby! And I have a LOT of well-armed friends!" [stirpot]

tulianr and STANGF150 like this.
  19. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

All I can say is that I have 7 large dogs and 1very,very large hog that wouldnt need fed for a while.
    Of course it would be a real PITA to clean up all the piles for the next few days.

My dogs are real freindly until someone shows ill intent.
    After that they become food for the flowers,and I'd never have to lift the shotgun accept in mercy for the ravaged.
    Matt

20. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Come breaking into my Home with ill intent, you may come in on two feet in the lastest fashionable style clothing, but you'll roll out on 4 wheels wearing a basic black bodybag. It don't help that I tend to believe in whats called a New York ReLoad. Drop one gun & pull another, so there wouldn't be much pause in firing while a single member of the mob was standing.

911 call afterwards would go sumthing like "Yeah, you might wanna send a dumptruck, a bobcat, the coroner, & oh yeah the police if they aren't too busy. Yeah, its a mess, scumbags laying everywhere. I was afraid for my life, I thought they was going to rape me!! Yes ma'am, I am male, but that don't mean this mob wasn't homosexuals, you should see the way they dressed! What you mean not likely? Thats awfully prejudiced of you to say that Ma'am!!!"

Cephus and beast like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7