what would you use for when SHTF

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by clemsonguy81, Dec 8, 2008.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I can deffinatly understand arguments for .22 and I have dropped enouph cattle that weighed in over a ton and hogs from 500-750 lbs with a single shot from a .22 to know they CAN get the job done. That said, when those cattle were 20 yards off I have bounced 3-4 rounds off their forehead and watched them run away and with hollow points have taken 4-5 perfectly placed shots on hogs to try to get one to go through the skull and kill them. A head shot is the ONLY way a .22 would drop a person on the spot even close to reliably. So the conclusion I have come to is that if had to be on foot alone then about the best I could come up with would be a semi auto .22 with scope and high cap mags AND a centerfire larger cal handgun. My reasoning being that if I have to engage a target 50-100 yards out then I can dump 10-12 rounds from the .22 into them accurately and if it dosent kill them instantly it should still at least slow them down enouph that they wont shoot reaal straight and I should then be able to outrun them BUT if a person is standing 10 feet away and comeing at me with an ax or comeing up with their gun I dont want to have to count on the underpowered .22 to penetrate their skull and be limited to only head shots to have much hope, that is however easy handgun range so a couple rounds in the chest followed by head shots untill they stop moveing from a 9mm I figure gives me a lot better odds of surviving the encounter in one piece. Its also not that heavy to carry say 100 rounds of 9mm and since its the emergency gun that ammo should last longer than ammo that goes to every shot at game, shots to warn off or stop persuers at a distance and whatever else, the .22 can work well for that and not many will poke their heads up and volunteer to be targets since its 'just a .22' so it can work IF the range isnt up close and personal.

As far as haveing the same cal ammo for all guns, IMO thats kind of a double edged sword, particularly if you dont already have a lifetime supply of that cal. If you only have 1 cal and come across ammo Mr Murphy says it wont be in THAT cal, if you have say 3 people with you and no 2 guns are the same cal and each has a side arm and long gun you could easily have .40, .357, .45, 9mm, .30-06, 7.62x39, .223, and .22 for example so now if you find ammo then based on whats most common being most likely to be found then odds are real good it can be fired in one of the guns at least. So I figure diversity in cal is a good thing.

In short I figure a .22 is an escential PART of a survival arsenal no matter how large or small but other than being one possible option if only had 1 I figure that .22 as the whole arsenal even for straight E and E would not be adequate, it need something with more oomph to support it when needed.

2. Quantrill

Quantrill Monkey++

For where I am at and my plans if SHTF my pump 12ga would suffice for everything but, I do have other weapons for different scenarios.

I am not saying this mentality exists here but, a lot of survival types I have met in person have delusions of being John Rambo, though they have NO military training. These same people always want me to join whatever group they are in. I feel these people will likely get you killed if something bad did happen. As my Marine brother in law who has served two tours in Iraq will tell you sometimes you simply can't be too small. Please excuse OT rant.

3. clemsonguy81

clemsonguy81 remington 700 cdl 30-06!

what about a ruger mini 14 ranch rifle with a 20 round clip.

4. clemsonguy81

and what about the bigger calibers like 300 win mag and 7mm mag. i have a 7mm mag and its not a problem

5. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

What about them?? they are projectile launchers, no fire arm is a Magic talisman containing "mojo" from the factory...
    (except perhaps the steyr "ssg")....lol
    standard military calibers could be more plentiful for "resupply"; are cheaper to shoot now, and could draw unwanted attention(civilian banning) from the "guns are bad" democrats...

6. clemsonguy81

well if i had to have a survival rifle it would be a 30-06 with a synthetic stock.
    and a 20 ga

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Seems to me you said that a few times already. So, then, with all the others suggesting a different approach to your original question, we have to assume you have your mind made up, and your most feared scenario will be covered by a 30-06 and 20 ga. Would you care to describe that scenario and rank it against some of the others that could come up?

I guess we should also offer congratulations to you for having sufficient resources to feed those two beasts for practice (rather than, say 5.56, 7.62X39 and 12 ga.)

:D

8. Grant9908

Grant9908 Monkey++

Ok, I respect your opinion about a 20 gauge and a 30-60. I also would like to here your story as to why you are so set in your opinion, diversity is good (but not in spelling lol) anyway, sense you are set on a gun and I am set on lite weight things do you think you could or would compromise on say......carrying the *Taurus judge*. It would be liter ad achieve the same effect AND!!!!! The judge’s barrel is rifled instead of smooth bored so the shots really SCATTER when it really counts lol.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

9. Grant9908

Grant9908 Monkey++

Also I really appreciate Quantrill bringing up the John Rambo thing and Monkeyman bringing up the multiple people situation. I personally have never shot at deer with a .22 nor have I tried taking down cattle, but thinking about it, they have really thick skulls and I suppose only an ear shot (well placed) would take cattle down, so I’ll keep that in mind. But about the Rambo thing I will admit I have only been thinking about being alone and only myself to take care of, though I really hadnt any idea of how I was going to do that. MORE then likely there will be others and god willing they will have other weapons then I have so if we come across misc. ammo someone will be able to use it, if not myself after the conversion kit I talked about in other posts. So instead of beating the rapidly dieing horse and saying what guns we would use in a situation where we were alone. Let’s move in the direction of what guns would you pick to have personally if you were in say….a three person group. And what would you have the others have (given the hypothetical choice). To make you now roving band of survivors work the best together, got food, shelter, cover, fighting, scouting, ect ect ect.

10. Grant9908

Grant9908 Monkey++

also I looked up the 300 winchester and the gun is large and clunky with huge ammo, not exactly what I personaly would chose giving the fact that we get to choose whatever we want here.

11. clemsonguy81

thanks would you rather carry a 22 or a pistol for shtf(a 9mm pistol)

12. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Actualy for shooting the cattle in the head (also pigs and such) you imagine an X from each ear to the opposite eye and where the lines cross is where you shoot and have to be fairly close (preferably inside 10 yards or so) and the spot it will go through is about the size of a quarter, you also have to use round nose and NOT hollow points or they flatten out on the skull.

My thoughts for if it was 3 people and could have whatever for each would be that each person would have a sidearm and at least 2 would have 2 long arms. The guns would be .45, 9mm, .357, .223, 7.62x39, .30-06, 20 or 12 guage, .22lr. Basicly the best shot would have a scoped bolt gun most likely in 30-06 or some similarly common and accurate long range cal and it would be carried slung or on the pack where it could be accessed if needed for long distance shooting which should be rare, unlikely to happen often and not demand instant reaction. The long range shooter would also carry the .22 for oprotunistic meat gathering and to lay cover fire if needed for a confrontation. The shotgun would go to the fastest accurate shooter to take care of up close threats decisively as well as for jumped small game. The shotgunner would most likely also carry the .223 on a pack or sling to access if needed for protracted fights beyond shotgun/handgun range. The other person would have the 7.62 and might also carry a second .22 to provide cover fire if needed to let the long range shooter access his rifle and also get oprotunstic meat. The sidearms would be doled out however was most comfortable to be used if needed as a back up to the long arms. The sidearm cals chosen because it allows for fireing 5 common caliburs from 3 platforms. The .357 fires .357 or .38 spl, the 9mm fires 9mm luger and while it wont cycle properly can if it must be like a single shot with .380 ammo then the .45. I chose all the cals to cover based on the selection of ammo generaly offered at places that only sell a couple cals and what they generaly offer (.38spl, .357, 9mm, .45, .30-06, .22, 12 guage top the list) and whats most common.

13. clemsonguy81

yup the remington 700 bdl 30-06 is amazing. its reliable, accurate, and comes with iron sights but you really need to put a scope on it. as for my shtf gun it would be that 30-06 but i would also carry my 20 ga or my pellet rifle.

read my signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

I would say that wraps up this thread. Well, enough said on this one.

I would prefer 155mm Howitzer!
    g6_12.

15. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I'll "see" your self-propelled; and raise you one recoilless vespa:[​IMG];

16. clemsonguy81

OK IVE MADE MY CHOICE OF MY GUN(S) WHEN SHTF.
    1. 20 GA
    2. REMINGTON 700 IN 270, I COULD KILL A BEAR WITH A 270.

17. Grant9908

Grant9908 Monkey++

[deadhorse] I won’t say any names, but some one with no originality, imagination, or even reason for there choices…….has definitely killed this thread… [stirpot]

18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yeah, and it was beginning to deviate in a rather amusing direction. (I couldn't find the picture of Atomic Annie from the late 50s.)

19. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

'Sokay;We'll make more...[boozingbuddies]
    I think my vespa assault scooter would make one hell of a potato gun.

20. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Guys, Guys, Guys,,,,,,,,Here's the ultamate SHTF guns
    Tacticool. tacticoolAR15. redneck_swiss_army_gun.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7