What's growing in your yard?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by CATO, Mar 29, 2012.

1. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

carly28043 likes this.
  2. carly28043

carly28043 Monkey+

I topped out at 4. Would have been more , but since I have a small yard I cut back on ornamentals.

3. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Zero. If it is not grass, or (edit in bold) does not produce useable food, it does not get planted or allowed to take up yard space. Instead of decorative flowers, I plant herbs in my flower beds. Instead of non-productive trees, I have fruit and nut trees. I put in a garden (pretty sizeable), and allow just grass to grow on the "lawn portions" (for a kid play area and a place for my ducks to wander and forage).

4. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I had an oleander but cut it down because I didn't want my puppies chewing on it and getting poisoned. That is the only one of those ten plants that I had but now I have Bartlett pears, three varieties of apples, Asian pears, cherries, peaches, plums, muscadine grapes, asparagus, kumquats, Meyers lemons, and satsuma oranges. I also have a vegetable garden, a fish pond, and a dozen breeding rabbits (Californian, New Zealand, Flemish Giant cross).

Falcon15 likes this.
  5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Thanks for the link

All I have growing my yard right now is 4 feet of snow....

We normally garden, but have added a fern garden (fiddle-heads) for a bit of green and some good eats... Along with potatoes and other garden staples.

I just hope we can get something in this year.

6. Smitty

Smitty Monkey+

Watch those muscadines seacowboys, grapes are toxic for our four legged friends as well as the cores/seeds from many fruit trees.

Smitty

7. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

This was more of a rhetorical question aimed at highlighting common plants that some may not know are noxious

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7