Whats in your Closet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Witch Doctor 01, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I've been doing some thinning ofthe accumalation of items at the house and started wondering what i needed to keep and what i no longer needed and could pass on to those who could use it more than i could.... whne i started looking at Footware.

There were some that were well worn thata could be tossed but many fell in to the I don't know category and could go either way. The n thinking with my MONKEY brain i says to my self.... self, what would be of the most use in a SHTF senaio and i then realized that shoes and boots of all the clothing articles would be the hardest to replace... sure you could make mocasins but thinking in realistic terms... my poor feet are not that tough... i've had hard soles between me and the ground for most of my life.

I have tried my hand at making shoes in one of my hobbys but the wooden soles, while better than nothing just don't seem to do the trick.

Guess i'm heading out to check on some more combat boots from the army navy store....

So my question is what's in your closet and with the exception of Ditch Witch how many is too many shoes and what types?

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

LOL..reminds me of a few weeks ago when I cleaned my closet and discovered that I owned over 60 pairs of boots...I bagged up two huge drum-liners of spare boots and put them in the storage building; I do not believe I will ever run out of boots in my life-time. Albeit, some of them are 25 years old but still fit and still got a lot of life in them.

3. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I think the precursor to that questions is whether you plan on a bug out or a bug in scenario. Bug out, fewer but tools and some supplies to repair what I have. Bug in? more than I currently have since I'm not known to be a shoe maven

4. JABECmfg

JABECmfg multi-useless

Awesome question. You're right - shoes are both useful and would be difficult to replace, and the more I think about it, I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to say that anything that is both useful and would be in short supply is worth keeping on hand.

So, unless you're at risk of being crushed by an avalanche of footwear when you open the closet door, I wouldn't worry about having too many boots or shoes.

On a related note, you can never have too many socks. Everyone loves clean socks.

5. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

Sea cowboy 60 pairs of boots is hording ...
    combat boots are not comfortable and i wouldnt recomend buying them and they are not that cheap ...

But i definatle say buy good shoes and several differt types... also good socks

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

For decades, I wore only Italian Mountain Boots, until their cost just became "Out of Sight" ($500US+/Pair) then I found some Stanley Work Boots that were acceptable, till they went out of production. Then Quigley Sharps turned me on to Danner Boots, and their Factory Seconds SALES, and I found a good design, and bought 3 Pair for myself, and a pair for Momma. We now have enough Boot Preps to take us both to the Grave. ...... YMMV...

7. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

i personally like Jallettes.
    I believe they are made in the UK .. reasonable in price 150 delivered to the door and very very light ... also come insulated and gortex or just regular... they are a slip on which i love ...
    I will never buy another pair of red wing slip ons again....
    when not wearing work boots or crocks i wear merrells .. i have had great luck with them and REI sells them and for somereason takes them back and gives you a new pair wen they r worn out .... or at least they used to ....

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yea, REI has always been a Great Outfit... and it was even better back in the Co-op days.... I walled into the Original Store up on Broadway St on Capital Hill, in Seattle, WA, USA, a few decades back with a pair of my two year Old Italian Mountain Boots, that were completely worn out, from wearing them 18/7/365, and asked the SalesDroid, for a New PAIR, because these were NOT functional anymore. He called the Floor Manager over, and asked what he should do. The Manager looked at Me, and said, "Go get him a New Pair." and off he went to the Stockroom. while he was gone, the Manger and I had a chat. He asked me what my REI Membership Number was? I showed him my Card with a Low 5 Digit Number, and his Jaw dropped, and just said "Wow, I have never seen a 5 Digit Card, before." When the SalesDroid returned with the New Boots, I thanked him, and headed to the Checkout Counter, and PAID for the New Boots. The Manager asked why I had paid for them, as the POLICY was to do an exchange on them, and I reminded him that I was a Stockholder in REI, and that if I allowed myself to just do the exchange, I would be costing MYSELF, Money, and compromising my Personal Integrity. He smiled, and I left.... ..... YMMV....

kellory, CATO and JABECmfg like this.
  9. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

Thats a great story ...Im glad u posted for others to enjoy...
    This is the second time me and you had this conversation...LOL life is good my friend

BTPost likes this.
  10. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I have a lot of boots of various types including my old Matterhorns and jungle boots. I never throw away or donate any of my shoes that are servicable, same for jackets ands such. I even keep jean's that are a size or so smaller for "emergencies". Never know when you might loose those "coupleof pounds" and need replacement clothing when SHTF.

Here is a link for a great web site for Danner boots and a couple of other brands at discounted prices- best values I have seen recently one of my buddies made me aware of. Hit The Breakroom

KAS likes this.
  11. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

oh, I don't know...I like boots and travel a lot so I end up buying more when I get there so they just kinda accumulate.

12. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

As far as soles, I have some instructions on making shoes with soles made out of car tires. I tried it with motorcycle tires, and it wasn't too bad, but cutting the tires the right shape was a bitch kitty. I'll see whether I can find that article again. It was interesting, and if they do it in Nigeria, surely we can do it here.

13. Witch Doctor 01

Yep i remember the HoChi Men sandles but would like something better suited to my tender feet...;)

14. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

Um, does that make you a tenderfoot? :D
    Seriously, I'll look through my stuff and see if there's something. Maybe lining the soles with something to cushion them ... I won't bring up moccasins made of squirrel skins.

15. Witch Doctor 01

lol probanly tho i had much more rank in the scouts....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7