What's in your holster on opening day?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by M118LR, Aug 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Model 629 4" Barrel | Smith & Wesson
    Model 69 | Smith & Wesson
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-629-0
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-29-revolver-machine-engraved

The .45 LC has been around for a long time. It's effective and can be juiced up easy enough on the loading bench, but I have thousands of .44 Mag cartridge cases. Switching to .45 LC at this late a time in my career just isn't cost effective.

That 6th round? Back when revolvers had firing pins attached to the hammer, 6 shooters normally only held 5 rounds and the pin rested on an empty chamber. So the L-frame Model 69 still has all the firepower of "Classic S&W's with firing pins on the hammer". But at 37 ounces vice 43 or more for 629's.
    But if you need that 6th shot, and you only have 5, well that's not a good situation. At least I don't expect most of the 4 legged critters to be packing.
    2490510_02_smith_and_wesson_610_10mm_or_4_640.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Tully Mars likes this.
  2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I caught an AD from a hammered with 6 in it... If I had the brass/etc., I would go with the .44...I still stand to with capacity (I carry a 7 shot .357 instead of a 6), and the bigger frames help with recoil as well, which can be a real concern. But, it sounds like the issue is in front of you.
    Would you find it more comfortable to carry the lighter gun, or to have increased firepower and recoil control. I assume the accuracy to be the same with either.
    I'm just now getting to where I can admit that a 4" revolver is going to be more convenient to carry than a 7 1/2", and that has much more to do with the seatbelt arrangement of my ride than carry weight or time to skin leather. I had a Vaquero for a little bit, but the grip was too small for me to get a good grip, and the gun would rotate in my hand so much that half the time I would be looking down the barrel after I shot, whereas my Peacemaker would just lift my arm a few inches. Point being, make sure the gun fits you, cause I had to go back to large frames just to shoot it "right", even though the other one was easier to pack.

M118LR likes this.
  3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Not sure you need anything over a 357 Magnum for Florida bears, but a 44 would give me a wee bit more confidence.

Personally I like a bit more extra weight in a 44 magnum, so I'd opt for the Ruger (though I hate the cowboy style grip its still doable) or a Taurus Raging Bull (comes ported and has great grips) and both use transfer bars which I prefer in a revolver. I'd also go for a longer barrel than 4" in a 44 - someplace between 6 and 7 1'2 ". If the weight is an issue than maybe a chest rig would be more comfortable.

The great thing about a 44 is that you can load some pretty effective snake shot and like any revolver can work up loads all the way from low recoil squibs to heavy defensive loads.

M118LR likes this.
  4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I've always been a N frame fan so there's yer answer from me:D The Ruger Redhawk is a very nice revolver as well. I personally prefer the .41 mag, but you mentioned you already have plenty of .44 brass..

Witch Doctor 01 and M118LR like this.
  5. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Still have the 7 1/2 inch .44 mag Abilene: 44MAGAbilene.
    So as far as a primary hunting revolver, I'm covered.
    But it's to heavy & cumbersome to tote comfortably as simply a backup for my rifle while hunting.

sw29n  12.

s_w_model_69_revolver_44_mag.

AxesAreBetter likes this.
  6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

In that case, totally go with the lighter option.

M118LR likes this.
  7. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

I had a 5inch 629 Classic Hunter for a bit and it struck a great "balance" between being light enough to carry around it it's shootability. A 4inch 29/629 was made for your requirement. If I saw the need (and could) it would be one of my 686s without question. They just carry and shoot so well.

Tully Mars and M118LR like this.
  8. JLRhiner

JLRhiner Stranger in the Modern World

Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Spl. Also, a couple of Tuff Products SpeedStrips in my pocket.

M118LR likes this.
  9. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I hunt squirrels and other small game with a Colt Woodsman that I carry in a shoulder holster.I use my 6" Python for white-tail. Those are my hunting hand guns.

1. M118LR
  2. AxesAreBetter
  3. ghrit
  4. melbo
  5. melbo
  6. melbo
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7