What's the coolest thing one of your pets has ever done?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkLight, Feb 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

When I was in High School, we adopted a Chow Chow from a guy who couldn't keep her any more. One of the coolest things she ever did (was way smart) was when my brother had a friend over. They were wrestling and goofing off, and Osa (the dog's name was Osa, she was our little bear) was just sitting there, head on paws, watching.

Well, one thing led to another and an arm got twisted or a nose got bumped and the screwing around turned serious. Osa could tell immediately that it wasn't fun anymore, before I figured it out, and got up, walked over to the pile of boys, gently but firmly grabbed the neighbor kid by the belt with her mouth, and proceeded to drag him off my brother. He started to struggle and she growled, ever so slightly but enough to let the kid know she was serious and he got the picture.

No barking, no biting, not even any drool or bite marks on the belt, amazingly enough. It was just one of those things were we were all, neighbor kid included, kind of in awe. Once things calmed down she went over to the neighbor kid and let him pet her to show that there were no hard feelings, but that kind of behavior wasn't going to be tolerated.

Man I miss that dog.

2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Back when my brothers and I were growing up, we had a Neufy that would get right in the middle of any fight we were having and he would grab a hold of each of us and drag us out of the fight, he would bite down just hard enough to warn you that things were going to get painful if you didn't stop! He knew the difference between wrestling and a real fight. If it were just wrestling he would usually pile on with us! My baby brother got into some rough water and he couldn't swim out of it and was going down stream pretty fast, That big dog jumped right in and swam out to my very scared brother, latched on to his shirt at the neck and pulled him ashore! These Neufies are like a Racing Tugboat in water, funny thing was, no one had to tell the dog to go get my brother, he just went and did it, he knew!!!

3. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Exactly, he KNEW. That's the thing about some dogs, they really do have a sixth sense and they can tell before anyone else that wrasslin' has turned into a fight, or when swimming has turned into "not swimming" or when that one guy is giving you the side eye and he's about to make a move. Sometimes they just know, and then they don't think, they act.

Sgt Nambu, Aeason, sec_monkey and 4 others like this.
  4. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

It has been known for a very long time that some dogs are telepathic with humans.

Example I remember was a dog that would run and jump up in the living-room window when her owner left work and headed home.

Thing was, her owner left work at random times at the end of the day--anywhere from 4:30 to 6:30 PM, for example, and it was a 15-minute drive home.

The husband started recording and checking times. The dog went to the window, every day, at the exact minute the wife walked out the front door from work.

Of, course, if you're really close with your dog, you usually know what they're talkin' about.

Many things like that in the literature.

Motomom34, Aeason, Bandit99 and 3 others like this.
  5. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Duke, my yellow lab (RIP) Opened the storm door one day and ran out like a bolt of lightning and pinned a black dude who had driven up against his car, causing him to drop the pistol he had in his waistband, and proceeded to attack him while I drew my weapon and dialed 911. I kicked the gun under the car and held the dude at gunpoint and Duke by the collar until the cops arrived. The gun was stolen and the guy had a warrant for a home invasion and was suspected of others.
    Duke loved everyone, typical Lab, and never showed that behavior or opened the door again. Damn I miss that dog!

6. Mountain mama

Mountain mama Monkey++

A little different, but when my kids were young I had a border Collie named Pepper. He would keep my small kids in a group in the yard. When one would wander, I could point and he would go get them and bring them back in a weird herding way. He grabbed Justin by the pants and dragged him out of the driveway when a car pulled in and almost hit him onetime. When I would leave, if it was nice, I would put him out in the kennel instead of in the house. One day as I approached home, there were these old men hanging out at a garage and a dog that looked like Pepper with them. I went on down the road to the house (about3/4 mile) and caught pepper who had taken the shortcut through the woods climbing back into his kennel. When I talked to old Mr. Breeden, Pepper came to visit every time I left, and was always back in the kennel when I would get home to let him out.

7. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

My Heeler and I walked right on by group that was in obedience class. She never even flinched. Just right next to me. No leash. The folks looked over my direction like I should be teaching. I just winked. :D

8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I once had a Lab that would go neck deep underwater to retrieve a duck.
    Once I saw her catch a wounded Mallard in mid air trying to fly away. A guy in a deer stand saw her do this and when we returned to the landing he wanted to buy my Lab, I declined his offer.
    She was the most awesome dog I've ever owned and trained.
    I have another female Lab now that will absolutely injure herself trying to please me or the wife.
    Added note, Don't raise your hand to my wife, The Lab will latch on!

belle the pig.

IMG_0334.JPG

9. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Had a Pit Bull a few years back, just a big lap dog, mellow, easy going dog. My daughter picked the dog out of a litter of pups a friend of mine had. We got the dog when my daughter was about 7 or 8 years old,and she named the dog Spotless, I don't know why because the dog had spots. Her dog, her name. My daughter was at home alone one day, called me to ask if she could order a pizza. I said yes and told where the money was. A little while later, she calls and said Dad, The pizza guy came and knocked on the door and when Spot saw the guy, she flipped on the guy growling and barking like crazy and ran the guy back to his car. I said good, that's what she's supposed to do. This dog never had a mean bone in her body for man, woman, or beast, but that day for some reason, she suspected something wrong, and took action. I cried when Spot died and I had to dig her grave. Still think of her often.

10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

When I was still in the service, We had two teams of two German Sheppard's and handlers per Squadron . For the first several months, these dogs were very unhappy and very un friendly critters to be around. Every one figured that they were trained that way and it was best to leave them alone, not to try and pet them or pay any attention to them! Several months in and it was becoming an issue, the dogs were becoming snappy and unruly, and then they started getting sick and were getting less and less eager to work. When they were first assigned to us, they were kept in small cages about the size of a shipping pallet, they were only fed and exercised by their handlers and when not in use, they were kept in those kennels! The Dogs had several specialized vets and so called experts look them over, but no one could figure out what was wrong, at one point they were going to ship them back to the states and send new teams over. Our C.O. ( who turned out to be a big time awesome doggy person) made the recommendation for the dogs to join us in normal daily stuff, eat with us, sleep with us, go training with us. ect......In a matter of hours, these dogs transformed into some of the finest animals many of us had ever seen! They were truly happy to be with us, and several times I would wake up in the middle of rest period and find one of them curled up next to my bunk! They improved almost over night, gained weight and energy, and they LOVED their work! We had those dogs for 7 years and they were like 4 legged Brothers to us, and us to them! It was a sad day for all of us when they were retired and sent home! The next team that came to us got integrated right in, and those cages ended up in storage some place, never to be seen again! Some of my best memories of all the shit holes we were sent, were of our time with those Solder Dogs! As a side note, every dog assigned to us was awarded the rank of Sargent right from the get go, and were always referd to by rank and name!, and they had their armor and harnesses with there name and rank on them! Funny story, We were coming back from over seas, and we had an over night stop in Germany for mandated crew rest, so this really swanky hotel offered to put us up and feed us a nice meal, we asked about our dogs, and with out one blink, they pulled four chairs from the tables, and set folded blankets on the floor. Those dogs were served a meal fit for any head of state! You should have seen the looks of all the other guests that were there when we came in in our service blues and the dogs were served. Every one was very respectful and insisted on shaking every ones hands and thanking us profusely for being who we were, and not one single person had the slightest issue with our dogs!

11. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

My weinerdog catches invisible lizards and frogs, it is way too cool. He pretends to eat them and the dobie and the retriever get jealous.

12. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Our dog now, he was in front of the TV when mom and I were watching World's Dumbest Criminals years ago, and when one of the commentators pretended to be a bank robber(by putting bandana over his face and faking holding a shotgun), all of sudden Scruffy just went crazy and started barking/growling at the TV. It was great.

13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Had an Aussie years ago got as a pup and trained her to do tracking . Fantastic dog . loved to learn and especially intelligent.

14. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Taught mine to box and if he losing he will fight like Mike Tyson

Attached Files:

15. whynot

whynot Monkey+++

I had a pit bull lab mix we got from the pound at about 8 months old. Best dog ever.

He used to drag the babies back from the edge of the bed when they got to close. Never worried about the kids with him around. Really miss that dog.

whynot

16. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Like Me !! & ride on a motorcycle for hours while I moved .

17. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I had a quarter horse years ago that had a traffic cone he just loved. I had 10 acres that he called home with a great barn. Every morning or afternoon when I came to feed him, that dang traffic cone would be moved to somewhere else. He would put it in the water, on a fence post, on top of a barrel, inside his stall..... continually moving that thing. It was a game of "where is Waldo" every day..... it made me smile to see what he would come up with.

18. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I was sitting for my daughters two dachshunds. The weather was stormy with 25 MPH winds and driving rain. They had just come downstairs from their kennel and I stood at the back sliding door as they approached. I said, "Want to go outside?" and both dogs, in unison, looked outside then looked at me and vanished to the dog bed where they stayed covered by a blanket until nature finally forced them to whine to be let out. They still gave me the stink eye when they went out the door. I believe they think I control the weather....

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  19. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Oh and it's not my dog, but our neighbor's dog, this afternoon was talking to neighbor, and they were wondering if they should bother shoveling the teeny bit of snow, and I suggested their dog could eat it instead, because they have been talking about their dog having a fascination with taking bites of snow(our dog Scruffy does the same thing, loves to go out and eat snow), so I just being a smarta$$, told their dog to start eating the snow, and he did! The dog started going in a little circle eating the snow right there.

20. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

We were watching bicycle races at the Alpenrose Volerdrome one morning, at the same time across the way the "Lil Britches Rodeo" was going on!
    With my wife and I was Roxie, a three year old Doberman and, incidentally, the greatest dog to ever walk the face of this or any other planet!
    All of a sudden a terrified sheep comes busting through the crowd, sitting on blankets, with a BIG pack of dogs baying on her heels, and Roxie was right on her, Dobermans being fast and all! I got my head out of my rear and yelled, "Roxie!" "No!" "Come!"
    About 3 seconds later she was sitting on the blanket in front of me! At attention, ears up, staring into my eyes waiting for my next command!
    All around me, and rippling out like rings on a pond, I could hear, "Holy Krapp!" "Wow!" "Did You SEE That!" And a dozen other things! A hundred faces with dropped jaws staring at us! I'm guessing around 20 people stopped to praise her later! I've had a lot of smart and well trained canines, but she was the first and the best!
    I lost her 50 years ago and I'm sitting here with the tears flowing freely! I almost didn't write the post!

1. Cruisin Sloth
  2. hot diggity
  3. TnAndy
  4. AxesAreBetter
  5. Bishop
    Thread

best dog.

I swear I have the best dog ever. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Jun 6, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: General Discussion
  6. AxesAreBetter
  7. hot diggity
  8. Thunder5Ranch