What's the coolest thing one of your pets has ever done?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkLight, Feb 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

I diagnosed that little issue by about the third sentence! :cool:

Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

It was Halloween and my son and I used to set up a pretty elaborate show for the neighborhood kids. We had a Frankenstein silhouette on the large picture window in the dining room! One evening our Rottweiler, Tonya, came through the room and glimpsed 'ol Frankie up there! With a frightened yelp she threw herself backward! This surprised me because I would have bet nothing on earth could scare her. In the next second she completely restored my faith in her! She leaped forward and just, completely, lost it!!! No dog I've ever owned attacked with that level of ferocity! No broken window but we had to sweep up Frankenstein!
    BTW, Tonya was named after Tonya Harding! :cool:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  3. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

We were dogsitting a friend's lab/golden mix, letting him and our two (yellow lab & golden retriever) frolic in the yard. A petite young girl was walking her dog and as she was passing our drive, three large strays decided to move in on her. The friend's dog corralled her back to our house while our two converged on the would-be attackers. The strays never returned, and the girl brought her parents over to meet the "big puppies that saved her."
    The golden also alerted at the front door early one rainy morning. Gave us enough warning to raise nearly everything off of the floor before it got flooded. (Something about 21 inches of rain in 24 hours...)

4. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

The coolest thing any of my dogs ever did was learn not to crap in the house. The clouds part and the birds sing on those days.

3M-TA3, Motomom34, DarkLight and 3 others like this.
  5. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

I had a great cat. from a standing start he could jump to the top of the fridge. Once he was on the couch opposite the one the dog was on, the cat jumped, the dog jumped, the cat reversed direction in mid-air and landed back on the same couch he started from. Yes I do realize that is impossible, but I saw it happen.

I remember seeing a horse, but not sure if on the internet or in real life. Horse was standing in a pond. Sign on the fence said something to the effect "please don't worry about the horse, he is not stuck in the water. He can get out whenever he wants. He likes it there. If we make him get out, he goes back in."

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Seagram's Seven involved?

Mountainman and Yard Dart like this.
  7. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

not a bit, there is no explanation, but it happened.

8. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

Well, there was the time our prized American Pit Bulldog, one of two that lived inside with us, began to rapidly lose weight. Her sudden weight loss was alarming; and, after about a week, I decided to, 'bite the financial bullet' and take her to see our very good, very expensive veterinarian who, at the time, had been treating our dogs for more than a decade. The vet dutifully began to run a series of (You guessed it!) very expensive tests: blood, stool, urine, and so on. The only problem was that several hundred dollars later he couldn't find a single thing wrong; and he even went so far as to start talking about doing a series of abdominal X-rays — Gasp! ($$$$$)

Our Bulldog's health really had us worried; so I decided to start feeding her by hand; and, sure enough, after a few days she did seem to have more energy, and looked a little better. So we returned to feeding her out of the usual bowl on the floor; only, now, I sat across the room while she ate to make sure that she finished every bite! So there I am, watching TV, and her eating — all at the same time. This went on for two or three days; and I really didn't notice anything unusual going on; but, like I said, she did seem to be slowly gaining weight and improving.

Then, somewhere around the third or fourth night, I saw the most amazing sight! Here comes our miniature Dachshund sidling up behind her while she's eating. He walked up in back of her, looked right, looked left, and then walked right in between her hind legs. Now, with his head right underneath the Pitbull's chin, he looked up to make sure he's the one in charge, and once he was reassured, he lowered his head, and started wolfing down her dinner before she could get to it!

So, here's our 21 lb Dachshund standing between our nearly 70 lb Pit Bulldog's legs, gobbling up her dinner while he stands there with his nose in her bowl, right underneath her jaws! Every time she'd lower her head to take a bite, that little demon would ever so quietly emit a low growl; and to my amazement, Bingo, she'd give in! (That Pit Bulldog could have easily finished him off with a single snap; but, she knew — she knew — that I didn't want her to ever hurt the little guy; so, obediently, she dropped a good quarter of her body weight!

My wife and I, both, felt like fools — 'Veterinarian poor' fools! The Dachshund had been gaining weight; and my wife had been cutting back on his food; but, neither one of us had put, '2 + 2 ' together; and, with all the activity going on in the kitchen, every night, neither of us had realized what was actually going on at the dogs' food bowls. The little guy had learned how to wolf-down his own dinner and, then, push the Pitbull off her bowl so that he could eat her food, too; and, to our amazement, she was letting him get away with it!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  9. duane

duane Monkey+++

We had a stealth Doberman, half dobbie, half black lab, looked like a lab, acted like a dobie. After my father in law died, my mother in law moved in with us. She was bed ridden and had her own room, I am very hard of hearing and my wife sleeps very soundly. Maxine would sleep in the same room as my mother in law, when she needed something, she would tell Maxine and she would come and poke one us until we woke up, wait and walk down with us, then lay down and go to sleep, she had done her job, now it was her turn. When the nurse came to do the blood tests my mother in law needed, and gave the shots, Maxine would watch and the nurse would say don't flinch as she wasn't sure that max wouldn't bite if she thought my mother in law was in danger. She did a hundred other things as well, I miss her.

10. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

My dad has a Blue heelr. A rescue dog. Mellow a mutt as you would meet.

One day, I was visiting and we heard a slight noise at the door. As I looked outside (it was the mailman) I noted that Lady (Dad ain't real original) had calmly got up walked over to near the door - away from where it would swing. She then crouched. Kinda like a shotgun gets pumped - you know. If anyone had come thru the door, they would discovered the dog about the time she sank her teeth in 'em.

Once I said it was cool, she gave me a look - then walked back over to 'her' spot & racked out. Found out later the Heeler just don't bark...and are territorial as hell....

Dad finally moved in with one of my brothers out in the foothills. Soon after, they had no more problems with strays and even the yotes don't come by any more.

When God was finished the little stuff, like making the Heavens and Earth, , He then went to create his best creation - dogs. They won't lie to you and will, quite literally, love you to death.

11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Not my dog but my friend's dog. During Christmas brunch the little dachshund went under the table and lifted his leg on my Ex's feet. LOL! Merry Christmas to him. :LOL:

Mountainman, Ganado, Ura-Ki and 5 others like this.
  12. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Our Yellow Lab has ESP when it comes to anything coming around behind the house. Many times he has jumped up barking and ran to the back sliding door. Most of the time there is a deer there, but other times it has been turkey, tree squirrel and bobcat. Pretty amazing since he did not see it, the radio or TV is on so didn't hear it and windows shut so didn't smell it. Just hope his ESP works the same if a person comes around.

Yard Dart and DarkLight like this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

What? If dachshunds weighed a 100#
    That would be a awesome dog!

Yard Dart, Motomom34 and DarkLight like this.
  14. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

My Rat Terrier BB woke me up one morning by laying a turd on my chest. Not so cool at the time but funny as hell in hind sight.

15. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Second cat we ever adopted, and the last one to have front claws removed, got outside and was on his own for more than a month. I never stopped looking for him, and finally found him a half mile from home, desperately trying to stomp on a mouse with his useless front paws. Weak and nearly starved, he'd lost 2/3 of his weight and was literally skin and bones. He survived this, and over the next dozen years he survived five cancer surgeries to his abdomen, before there was nothing left to hold him together and we had to put him down.
    He was the happiest creature I have ever known.

16. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

We had a border collie that would babysit one of my older brothers when mom and dad were working in the yard. She would also take the kittens across the street to go potty by grabbing them by the scruff of their necks. Once they were done, she'd bring them home the same way.

We had a rabbit that would sneak up on her whenever she took a nap and nip her. One day she had enough and beat the crap out of the rabbit. It never happened again. A peacemaker, any time a couple of us would roughhouse, she would gently grab one by the wrist and lead him away.

She finally grew old and on the day she died she waited for my Dad to come home from work. He sat down beside her and gently petted her and she finally slipped away. One helluva dog. Dad is probably petting her right now.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  17. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm with Will - no dogs, no Heaven....

1. Cruisin Sloth
  2. hot diggity
  3. TnAndy
  4. AxesAreBetter
  5. Bishop