What's the worst gun you ever owned

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by GrandpaDave, Nov 17, 2011.

1. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

Really? I've had mine for almost forty years, and it may be the most accurate, reliable gun I have on the place. I learned to shoot with that Marlin 60, and when I got to my first Marine Corps rifle range, I couldn't believe people were making such a fuss over hitting that big black circle. It was almost too easy.

I suppose that either you ran across a really bad example of that model, or I ran across a really good example of that model. My other two kids shot my Marlin 60, and I can't wait for my youngest to get old enough to take it back out to the woods where it loves to be.

Cephus, Pax Mentis, dragonfly and 3 others like this.
  2. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

3. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

i have 3 rock island 45,s and all i did way put a 18 lb. spring in place of the 6 lb. that comes with it and then no more problems with loading-i like the heavy spring-know my guns and never had a bad one

its better to have and not need than need and not have

Cephus likes this.
  4. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Only weapon I have ever had that had any problems is the knock off of the old Armalite AR7-s. It was great in the 1st one I had from Charter arms, not a single problem...
    The last one I bought is pure junk,.... so far! It is accurate, it floats like it's supposed to, it's easy to take down and to reassemble, it looks ok...It just happens to fire 2-3 rounds in a burst!
    "Survival Arms" AR7 Explorer, from Cocoa, Florida!
    If I can get that "problem" fixed, then I have not had any "firearm" that has been one I'd toss!
    Since I have owned and fired many since 9 years of age, I've seen a few, and bought and sold too many! I had one, a "boot pistol", which was a single shot, long barrelled pistol, marketed years ago ( 1968-69)That looked like something out of a Pirate movie...Chambered in .22lr, it was a real tack driver, ( when/if you could hold the thing steady!) It had something similar to a rolling block where you had to cock it, then pull back a sheet metal plate that allowed the cartridge to be held in place, ( NO safety BTW!) and afforded a hole for the firing pin to strike the rimfire cartridge. I was happy with it, except I thought the plate was a bit too loose (my mistake!) so I tightened down the screw that held it. It went off when I fired it ok, but the plate came off and struck me in the throat! Scared the beejeesus out of me! I thought I was going to bleed to death, far away from anyone, up on a mountain, and all alone!
    I had a welt and that was all it did. But I took it to a gunsmith and was told it was MY fault, that screw was "torqued" and I had over done it! He fixed it in no time by replacing the screw ( the head had simply sheared off!) and re-torquing it to it's proper set. I gave it to him, right then and there! I was done with it. I only paid like $39 for it! It was cute and it was a decent pistol for what it was...I was scared to death of the thing after that little incident...I never regretted giving it away!

Tyler Danann likes this.
  5. craneje

craneje Monkey+

I have an AR-7, a piece of the internal receiver has broken, rendering it useless. The factory says my only remedy is to buy a new one. Not sure it's worth it.
    I also have a Rem 240 semi in 270. Love the cartridge, but the rife is a poorly designed piece of junk. No bolt hold open, the mag can be inserted too deeply to function, and accuracy is rarely better than 5 shots in 5 inches @ 100 yds. At first it would not even function reliably; I sent it back to the factory and function is better; but accuracy remains slightly better than foot of angle.

6. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I'm with you...

I have or have had at least 20 of them and every one has been excellent. Every one of my kids and grandkids have started on them.

I suppose even Porsche makes a lemon every now and then though...

7. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

yup...We have 2 model 60's and happy as can be...only problem ever was the loading tube on one came loose out on the range, we picked it up and put the brass pin back in and it's been there ever since...Not even a jam or misfeed.
    But I found that mine have a tendency to prefer Peters, or CCI rounds over most others...cleaner burning powders...?

8. usmcvet

usmcvet Monkey+

Mine was a SeeCamp .32. It was a gun I HAD TO HAVE and was the rage in the '90's a the best micro gun out there. My sample of one SUCKED. It would not feed anything and yes I shot the required .32 silvertips. The kicker is it was special order, took over a year, closer to two to get it. The good news is I was able to sell it, with full disclosure of my issues for a little more than I spent on it.

dragonfly likes this.
  9. hedger

hedger Monkey+

That poor quality is just a darned shame. They have an excellent concept: a totable survival rifle that packs into a compact stock. It would be great if a real quality manufacturer made note of that interesting market niche and started building a "better mousetrap."

10. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

From what I've heard, Henry Repeating Arms is making them today....?

11. sixfifty

sixfifty Monkey+

Raven .25 auto. Do I need to say more? What a POS. Even at $40 it was a bad investment. It NEVER made it through a single magazine without some kind of jam. It went swimming in deep water after a short conversation with a 3 lb. hammer.

12. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

I was going to list this as the worst gun I have ever owned. Bought it 32 years ago and it started out with the same problems you had until I took it apart and smoothed everything out. Worked fine after that except for the accuracy, basically a 7 yard max gun. Have not shot it in years but I remember one time trying to shoot a rabbit with it. Chased the rabbit around trying to make 15 yard shots at it, unloaded the whole mag and hit everything but the rabbit.

Tyler Danann likes this.
  13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

MM...You should have shot at every rock and bush, INSTEAD of the Rabbit, and you would have had a nice dinner....

14. Mountainman

Now that you said that I would have had a better chance but I was hoping one of the bullets might accidentally hit where the sights were.

15. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I've been sipping a little rum since I got up from my turkey coma nap, but this brought up a thought. Someone here has posted several humorous posts about his Father in Law, who hits everything except what he aims at with almost a 99% average. If percentages hold true, this might just be the gun for him. He might actually hit what he aims at if you use reverse logic. Hell, he might have bagged that rabbit on his first shot. Maybe you should backtrack the posts and make an offer to sell. LOL, what could it hurt?[stirpot].
    I did a search, it was VisuTrac's Father in Law, so talk to VisuTrac.

Sapper John and BTPost like this.
  16. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I have one of the Henrys and it's a fun, handy little gun...well built and accurate once you make friends with the sights...

Everything including the extra 10 rd mag fits in the stock and it closes watertight...it even floats.

17. Mountainman

I see your point. An antique, custom smoothed out Raven 25 could bring some big money, LOL.

18. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

There's a famous story of a Pro-Wrestler being shot with one by his Jealous wife when she caught him cheating on her...

the story goes she emptied the clip into his stomach... remember too this guy is a Pro-wrestler and built like a tank... anyway between his jacket and hard muscles the tiny .25 auto bullets just barely break the skin... wife goes to jail for attempted murder and he goes to jail for beating his wife there on the streets...

19. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

OH boy! DOes that ever open a can of worms!

Let's see...Jennings J-22. The firing pin blew out after three rounds. Sent back to factory to be repair. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Now waiting for "gun buy back". If they never owned it, how can they buy it back?!

Rogart 9mm auto. Never heard of it? There is a reason!

Got to go.

20. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

In Orlando,Fl.on July26,1988@9:45pm,I was in the passenger side of my room mates old Pontiac Grand Prix.
    At only two blocks from home,we were sitting in the turn lane at an intersection(Gore&OBT)waiting for the light to change on our way to pick up beer.
    About a 15yo punk ran up to the car,and stuck a Raven.25acp in my face and demanded our money.
    My tough guy room mate Mark decided to blow the light.As we went forward the Raven hit my cheek,and went off.
    I lost three teeth.The crown of one going into my tongue,and it's root ending up under the back window.The other two teeth ended up in pieces,that I spit out the window with the bullet as we made the corner.
    I would advise that no one carry one as a backup,even if it shoots flawlessly.
    I'm a living example of why.
    Matt

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7