What's This Round?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Minuteman, Jan 7, 2013.

1. scrapman21009

scrapman21009 Chupacabra Hunter

Depends, If you like having all 10 fingers, i wouldn't recommend it, otherwise up to you...

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I would be looking for the "Fusing" on the round, to determine what kind of round it is.... No Fuse, Not likely Explosive.... I certainly wouldn't be hacking at it with a Hacksaw, or any other implement, without 100% Positive ID....

3. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

It was a joke . . . . jeez! :rolleyes:

62077d1257285729-german-20mm-cutaway-1.
    62077d1257285729-german-20mm-cutaway-1.

4. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

can never be too safe with UXO

at least he didn't pick this up.
    800px-RGD5_b.
    800px-RGD5_b.

5. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Visu ...It's a BLU26B Anti-material/Anti-personnel bomblet with a MK339 fuse from a CBU 24/b if i remember right but it's been over 20+ years since i had to id any Ordanance...;)

6. scrapman21009

scrapman21009 Chupacabra Hunter

I'm sure it was, sad part is me and my friends would have thrown it in the fire and ran like hell

oldawg, CATO and VisuTrac like this.
  7. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Somewhat true, but it could be base or nose fused, or both, or neither. The silver nose piece could be a screw in nose fuse. Most fuses are safe until fired, and arm by G force setback and centrifical force of rifling spin. Any fired round with a fuse should be considered unsafe and armed. Initially a dud or not, it still is a threat. That said, I am done with this thread and this nonsense. I would assume everyone here is smart enough and have enough common sense not to pick up an unknown semi auto pistol with a magazine inserted, inspect it in no way except externally, thumb the hammer to full cock, press to ones temple, and squeeze the trigger. Rough handling or attempted disassembly of an unknown projectile could result in injury to that person or anyone close. It just ain't worth it. AMEN

8. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I'm not sure what it is. That being said, I'm not picking it up either. It looks 'Military'. I might however backup 100 meters and have a go with a high speed projectile to see if i can crack the coconut and get some meat for later.

scrapman21009 likes this.
  9. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

Amen x 2. Lost part of my leg when a friend picked up a BLU-97. No such thing as a good UXO.

kellory and tacmotusn like this.
  10. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Some friend! :eek: I take it that your friend lost a mite more meat than you did in satisfying his curiosity?

11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Sorry to hear that, Sir. And thank you for your service.

12. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I thoroughly agree with tac.....UXO's are best dealt with by those trained in their destruction.

Listen to Sgt Woof and follow the 3R's

Recognise
    Retreat

Listen to Buggs Bunny (or read the subtitles if you don't speak Khmer)

And don't be a Puddin' Head

tacmotusn likes this.
  13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Depending on the era it was made, 20 mike HE may not be bore safe.

14. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I have been in this part of the world for over 20 yrs. A lot of those in former war zones. I know not to mess with unknown things found in the desert. ( aside from the UXB in Egypt:rolleyes: )Unfortunately many of the new guys that work for me haven't acquired that trait yet. We are in a third world country and you don't walk up to the military and say "Hey I found this, did you lose something". Yeah, not a good idea. We have a deep waste water pit on location that will be filled in and buried when we leave. I think I'll tell him to toss it in there.

tacmotusn and BTPost like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7