What's your favorite rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by TLynn, Aug 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Which means the more rifles you have, the more practice you need to keep proficient. Now, I don't recommend reducing the number of possibles, but do use any that might be to hand every time you can -- (A good excuse for those who may have, um, resident folks that think you spend too much time at the range, reloading bench, or money. You just HAVE to maintain proficiency, after all --)

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Well Halffast. I did check them out and a Lightweight Semi-auto Barreled action arrived yesterday. Carbon wrapped bbl... I'm dropping it in one of those RBPrecision Stocks that have n AR15 butt stock and pistol grip. I'll most likely put a Vari-XIII on it as well.. Oh, and a bipod. Can't wait, it's at my 'smith's right now.. Thanks for the link https://www.volquartsen.com/vc/public/ListItems.do?familyID=4

3. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

My first rifle was a Mossberg 320TR, a single shot .22lr that my grandfather gave me when I was about 10, that was the early 80's. I didn't know it until just recently that the rifle was mfg between '63 - '65. I was lookin at selling it so I could get a shotgun, but now I'm not sure.

My other rifle that I own is a Marlin 30-30, that has been used only for deer hunting (although I have not been deer hunting since the early '90's :cry: The 30-30 is in desparate need of getting the scope resighted since I've had roommates "play" with the adjustment screws, grrrr :evil:.

Now the most fun I've had shooting was a black powder rifle that my dad built. :p One year for Christmas my mom got him a kit, it was the "U assemble" type black powder kit. It was fun watching him build, then shoot the black powder rifle. But man, that thing was HEAVY!!!

Ryan

4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I go thru phases, since I'm a 'sorta collector' - not for monetary value, just what I fancy when I come across it. At the moment, my favorite is probably my Winchester 75T .22LR target rifle - the 52's 'little brother'. Very accurate, even with cheapo bulk ammo!
    But I really like my .22LR Henry lever gun and my Yugo SKS. All great fun to shoot! Fun doesn't have to cost a lot. ;)

5. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I was lookin at selling it so I could get a shotgun, but now I'm not sure.

My advice, dont sell it, you'll regret it later. That first gun, especialy if given to you by a dad or grandad will be greatly missed even if its not often shot. Besides, you can get a real decent shotgun pretty darn cheap. If you dont mind a single shot the NEF shotguns are only like $80 and if your looking for a pump a real decent Charls Daly can be had for comfortably under $200.

6. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

ghrit, there's not a rifle in my safe with the exception of the 10/22's that I can not take out, put bullets in, throw up to my shoulder and hit the target with (okay make that a couple more that I've never bothered to clean the cosmoline out of).

I may not of practiced lately with those rifles as much as I want to, but they are my rifles and I've shot quite a few rounds through them over the last few years. Only two other people ever get a chance to shoot them (and only my brother is dumb enough to take the punishment of the jungle carbine in .303) which I don't shoot. I know my children well, what they like to eat, what they don't. What conditions they work best in, and what conditions they hate to work in.

The only rifle I do shoot that I'm still not yet sure about is my Garand because I still do not have the feel for the semi-auto rifle and admittedly I may never have it. I love it, don't get me wrong and I treat him well but he's not one of my beloved bolt rifles that I can really use and abuse.

Same goes for the AK and the SKS's...yes I know one can use and abuse them but I'm still overly cautious around them and I've had them for several years now - I just don't have the connection to them that I should. They would not be my gun of choice (well the AK-74 I might grab, you'll notice I said might), but I would still more likely grab one of the old battle rifles or the Remington 700 because I still really want to reach out and touch someone above everything else (I'm not an up close and personal type of gal).

7. ghrit

Somehow, I knew that. You took one point well enough, that being if SHTF and you needed to boogie, one of those that you are familar with would be the one that would be close to hand. In your case, I'd make a major wager that the faves are the ones in position for a grab and git. b:: b::

The other point was that lack of practice with one or another is a damn fine excuse to get out to the range. (Especially to escape "honey do's.") [beer]

8. ghrit

EL.:

VERY sorry for the late response. I thought I'd posted a range report, but I can't find it if I did.

The first time out, all I did beforehand was patch out the barrel, paid no attention to the working parts. Everything was very new tight, and I knew it would take some running in. Ran about 90 rounds thru her. Gritty trigger, several FTF, FTE and FT feeds. Bolt release was VERY stiff, and forward assist would not move under thumb pressure. I thought all of these things were a combination of my complete unfamiliarity with the weapon, possibly fabrication problems as well. Since then, I hosed out the lower, re-lubed, and did some general familiarity drills. Still think those problems were mine (and new stiffness) not the piece.

Yesterday, I took her to Fairfax again, and ran another 110 of Wolf down the pipe. Two failures to feed, probably due to spastic charging of ten round mags with ten rounds. Later loadings with ten ran like greased glass. Trigger is long pull, but MUCH smoother, not by any means a target device. It is not military two stage, just long pull. Bolt release is lightening up, forward assist yeilded to a bump with a rawhide mallet, now works, but NOT needed.

Benched on what amounts to a card table, all were in the black at 100 ft on a B3 target, even allowing for caintuck windage (haven't zeroed the supplied irons, A1 tool on order) and old eyes and all were on paper at 50 yds offhand, two mags worth at a barrel heating pace. I think with target sights, it will be a tack driver. b:: b:: The semi military irons are defensive, not conducive to high accuracy, but good enough for a house or truck gun with MZBs all around.

I don't much care for the butt stock, it hits me too high in the shoulder, basically just a point contact. I think I can soften that up with a butt pad of some sort, which is now in plan (as is eventually a stock that I can set for lower to accomodate my lack of shoulders.) The stock is adjustable, should be no problem with length. As it is now, I use at full extension.

9. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Thanks Ghrit.

So, do you like it and would you recommend it to others, or do you need more time to work through the kinks?

10. ghrit

At this point, the jury is out. As the bugs get rubbed out, she and I are getting along better and better. Received a few things today that should help a lot. Once I get the sights sorted out and become more familiar with the operation of an AR, I'll be able to make more sense. For now, anything I can see is hit. I'd say that anyone with M-16 experience would be at home and fairly pleased. It is a light weight carbine, not intended as a match rifle, so even tho' I'm a bullseye accuracy nut, for the purposes intended (fun, home defense, truck gun) it will be OK.

11. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

:D

12. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well, I was just doin' some searchin' here and found this thread, figured I'd bring it back to the top for all the newbies :)

13. WestPointMAG

WestPointMAG Monkey++

First mossberg .22 42 M a

My favorite

My EEA Saiga in 7.62 x 39 with 154 gr soft points.

14. toemag

toemag Monkey++

I have 8 rifle's.

GSG5 (Trophy dot)
    10/22 (Leapers 4x32)
    BRNO/CZ #527 .222 Rem. (Hunter 8x56)
    Olympic Arms AR15 (YHM irons + EO-tech #512.
    Sabre Defence AR15 (Irons)
    Cetme FR8 (ATI K98 stock + Steiner scope)
    Sauer 90 in .308 win. ( Schmidt & Bender scope)
    K 98 Sporterised (Doctor 8x56 scope)

They all get range time and I'm proficient with them all, although the GSG & the 10/22 are what I use most these day's due to the rising ammo price's.

The FR8 was a standard surplus rifle when I got it, couldn't hit the side of a barn if I was standing next to it. So it became a safe gun, then one of my buddy's told me about the ATI K98 stocks and how the improved the rifle's accuracy. So I ordered one, it arrived and I started to fit the stock, stripped the rifle out of the original stock and as the rear sight stuck up and prevented me fitting the top cover that got dremmeled off. The bolt handle was straight so the bolt was stripped and wrapped in many layers of tinfoil and placed in a vice, blow torched the handle at the right place and bent the handle to the right angle with a wrench. fitted a Steiner scope that I got from the local gunsmith, polished the trigger sear and lubed it, bore sighted it and off to the local range to zero it in. I took the cheapo S&B ammo (50 box) and zeroed it in.

Hunting season was about to start and I thought I'd just go to the range to check the zero on the Sauer 90, so I took the FR8 to shoot while I was waiting to the Sauer to cool off. I got there to find two blokes playing with a bench rest rifle, 6mm ppc, molly coated ammo, big scope, bi-pod, the works. Si I said hi and started unpacking my stuff, I then noticed that they thought the FR8 was funny as they were smirking at it, so I got the S&B ammo out and shot that first, 3 shots in rapid fire mode at 100m and brought the target back, saw that I had three hits in the middle, two of which were touching and the third was out 3mm making a nearly perfect triangle, so I put the rifle on the rack and started prepping the Sauer to shoot. One patch to cover the holes on the target and my new found friends on the next lane were not laughing at the rifle any more, did pretty much the same with the Sauer and they were not amused. They eventually recalled their target and I could see why, the clowns had all the gear but no idea.

Any how, here's a picture or three.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is one of the usual groups that it shoots at 100m (5 shots). I just shoot the paper, using the targets that are there, hence the pasted target from previous shooters, but you get the idea..
    [​IMG]

BTW., I really enjoyed pi$$ing those two guys off, and of all my rifle's this is probably the one.

Tony

15. kansasrebel

kansasrebel Monkey++

My favorite is one that goes bang every time you pull the trigger. Other than that, it's a 1917 Eddystone(shot my first 6 pt buck with it at age 13). My dad had it since I was very little. After that it's my Ruger 10/22. Paid 65$ for it and had to work and save every penny for 2 months to get it. Even then my Dad had to fill out the forms because I was too young.

16. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

My old Yugo SKS is my favorite rifle that I own currently own. It's consistently accurate even with Wolf ammo, and it does very well with iron sights. I had the trigger reworked at http://www.kivaari.com and I can say it was worth every penny.

It looks like I'm going to join the AR fold eventually but will need to sell my Swedish Mauser (1913 M-96) and the SKS. My thoughts on the whole collection are going up in smoke as I start rethinking everything.

17. ghrit

Ah, Beav, you have the fever. Ask yourself, do the kids really need new shoes for school this year? Careful study reveals they do not -- [rofllmao] :lol: [lolol]

18. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

One of my most stupid things relating to rifles was to sell a M36 Swedish Mauser back in '94:( I would seriously reconsider selling your M96 as these rifle are no longer readily available, and by downgrading your capabilites with a 5.56 you have effectively reduced your long range/hard target penatration capabilities by a very large factor.

The choice is yours, but always keep in mind about where the grass is truly the greenest.

Dannyboy53 likes this.
  19. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

That's a very good observation, RC, but I do have a .308 to use in the mean-time. Nothing's as svelt as a Swede, but I'd hate to ruin its collectability by mounting a scope on it.

The thing I'm trying to accomplish is to finance what would benefit my family in the long-run -- a pair of modern varmit-hunting rifles; light, compact, accurate, and high-capacity. Later on, I'll try to get back into the 6.5 community by going 260 Remington or 6.5 Creedmore (again, something more modern).

20. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Well, a year or so has gone by and my favorite rifle is still my M1A. I probably shoot my ARs more because the are shorter and cheaper to shoot but if I want real satisfaction, just let baby send a few bottles of Tannerite to hell at the long range.

1. AgentPickle
  2. AgentPickle
  3. AgentPickle
  4. AgentPickle
  5. Gator 45/70
  6. Coyote Ridge
  7. HK_User
  8. 3M-TA3
  9. Motomom34
  10. Dunerunner
  11. BenP
  12. Bishop