Whats your favorite...

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by BRONZ, Aug 4, 2005.

?
  1. Patriots

45.2%
  2. Lucifers Hammer

11.9%
  3. alas babylon

11.9%
  4. Lights Out-Haven't finished it yet...

31.0%
  1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

For a second there I thought I was [stoner] Smoking Crack!

2. jbritely

jbritely Monkey+++

Patriots and Lights out were both good

I like them both. Each had a few things that struck me as odd.

In Patriots, making thermite granades sounded a little beyond the ordinary skill.

In Lights out, Mark was a bozo in the beginning and then changed so fast into knowing exactly what to do.

Neither is impossible but doesn't seem likely.

3. Shalako

Shalako Monkey+

Sad News Doubled

Fleataxi was the author of many fine TSHTF and EOTWAWKI stories. Among them were "North to Alaska", "Escape From The Rat Race", "Allakaket Airlines" and "The Kids Are Fine". There were quite a few more.
    What makes his passing worse is that the old man who runs Frugle Squirrle decided he didn't like fiction cluttering up his site. He started a new site without any fiction and left his old site as an "Archives 2001-2006" that had Fleataxi's stories along with a lot of other authors'.
    Sadly, that old site has been scrubbed of fiction also and you can't join and log in to read the stories. Even if you want to join his new site, it'll cost you $100 per year.
    But, as he is so proud to tell everyone, it's his site and he'll do with it what he wants.

Cephus likes this.
  4. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I've read "lights out" and a few others posted here in the reading room....
    I Can't say that I have a favorite....yet.

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION. UH...BATMAN.

6. Shalako

Shalako Monkey+

As I've grown old(er), one thing I've noticed is that old stuff needs to be revisited every now and then just to keep it fresh for the newbies as they grow up. Lot of wisdom gets dropped by the wayside otherwise.

7. ChrisNuttall

ChrisNuttall Monkey+++

There's some of my works in the forum you might like.

Chris

8. Shalako

Shalako Monkey+

Thanks, I'll look for them. Titles?

9. beast

beast backwoodsman

chris is an awesome author
    well worth reading

10. ChrisNuttall

ChrisNuttall Monkey+++

The Living Will Envy The Dead and The Cowards Way of War are survivalist-based.

Chris

11. First Sgt

First Sgt Monkey+

I've had the opportunity to read all the books in the poll. I voted for Patriots, but thoroughly enjoyed Lights Out.

12. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

I just finished the Patriots and had I been able to read it over the internet first wouldn't have paid to read it ,but I did read Lights Out way back when it was offered here and have since bought 6 copies to hand out. It had much more to offer than Patriots ,but Patriots did give some good points that most don't take into consideration,it was a dry read and had way to many jumbled facts that made it almost to hard to stay with.

JMHO

13. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Too bad the Poll so old it doesn't include One Second After. Lights Out was the reason I first joined here!!! Bought a copy as soon as I could. Am currently reading it for 5th time since then. I was happy as hell when I got my lil hands on it. It was also the reason I for first time ever, bought sumthing from Amazon!!! Have noticed my copy showing sum wear, so recently ordered couple more copies.

14. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

I just finished reading Patriots and I wish I had read it years ago when it was online. It didn't flow very well and seemed to be somewhat disjointed in places though I liked the characters a lot and the story itself was really good. Now that I've purchased a I am glad to have it in my library. I did read Lights Out for free online and have also purchased several copies. And will probably be buying a few more for friends.

To bad the list doesn't include Unintended Consequences. It and Lights Out are definately right at the top of my list of favorite EOTWAWKIT fiction. Hopefully they remain fiction too. UC was far better than Patriots IMNSHO.

I am currently reading Enemies Foreign & Domestic. Read about half of it online awhile back and like it quite a bit so far.

Byte

15. saltydogg

saltydogg Monkey+

I like both of the books very much. They both provided very useful information. i also enjoyed One Second After and the Novel Invasion America. The latter is not what I would call typical SHTF fiction, but the author does spend a bit of time kicking the crap of of an apathetic and lazy America. Some grammatical errors (I think we are all used to that by now) but an action packed fun read none the less. I just got Rawles new book Survivors and hope for the best.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7