What's your opinion on 308 SHTF rifle... AR/M1A

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Blackjack, Nov 30, 2006.

Tags:
  1. BlackhawkFan

BlackhawkFan Monkey

The M1A is definitely a soft recoiling rifle.

I'll do a collapsible stock on my defensive rifles because I think length of pull is too long if you need it in a hurry or if you're wearing plate. My Rem 700 and my M1A are the only military rifles that don't have a collapsible stock. Of course, it would be hard to argue the 700 as a defensive rifle, LOL, but I wouldn't mind an adjustable LOP on that one.

2. BlackhawkFan

BlackhawkFan Monkey

Did some long range shooting with a reporter we called "The Zombie Hunter." He was brand new to shooting, had gone out and picked up an AR-10, put some glass on it, and in no time at all was banging steel past 1000 yards. He finally quit after he got some serious scope eye.

Dunerunner likes this.
  3. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

The dreaded racoon gaze will put them out every time. haha.

svjoe and BlackhawkFan like this.
  4. D2wing

D2wing Monkey+

I do like the M1a rifles, but I think they are heavy for hunting. They really shoot well. A Garand is great but even heavier. I would chose a light A10 style like the Gll. FALS and the like do not have any advantage, they are heavy and in general less accurate. Cool guns though, but most modern Armies have updated to AR's.
    You mentioned the Remington 7400. If you want to hunt and shoot a few rounds a year they are good. If you want to do a mag dump, you will shortly have a boat anchor. They are not built for heavy use and are a poor choice for tactical use. The new Browning Semi Auto's are much better and they do make a tactical version. A Saiga is the best of the AK's for accuracy but not up to either the M1A or AR10 type. the .308 has a real advantage over the .223, 5.56 NATO especially beyond 150 yards or so. Most militaries have decided that a 5.56 NATO or the Soviet 5.45 version is better for combat except for long range. And most can't use the extra range anyway. But still I would like the extra range and power. My next gun will be a Gll.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  5. D2wing

D2wing Monkey+

By the way, in long range military rifle competition the AR is the winner followed by the M14. No others have been successful.

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

DSC00065.JPG
    This is an original Cetme with a flat rail that I installed (with JB Weld), I took off the wood furniture and installed a G3 black stock (I painted since it was green) and a Tri-Rail forearm with bipod and tactical rubberized scope.
    The C308 is the newest version which has a flat rail installed properly, as opposed to the ridiculous clamp style mount from its initial design. Aside from this, it's the same creature. The variations mainly involve the various stock and sighting options.

Great rifles, not the most accurate at long ranges, but in the realm of modern combat it's more than sufficient. The aluminum G3 magazines are dirt cheap, and they work well. I believe I bought mine years ago for less than $2 each. The delayed blowback, roller design is unique and reliable. I like to keep it well lubricated and cleaned.

Stay away from the old HK91 clones, they are garbage (aluminum pinned breech)

1. HK_User
  2. AxesAreBetter
  3. Brokor
  4. Tyler Danann
  5. DLConcepts
  6. 3M-TA3
  7. RouteClearance
  8. Brokor
    Resource

HK91 (CETME) .308 2014-06-15

Heckler & Koch GMBH - 6 pages.
    Posted By: Brokor, Jun 15, 2014 in category: Firearm Manuals