Wheels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by STANGF150, May 29, 2018.

1. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Picked this up about 3 months ago, and slowly working on fixing it up. A 1972 Ford F-100 302 V8 automatic. Still has points so its pretty much EMP proof. I did do a Pertronix Ignightor drop in conversion, and put the old points parts in the glovebox in case of need. Slowly fixing it up to make it better. Hopefully before Summer is over, it will get aftermarket vintage AC!!!! FordBumpSide1. FordBumpside. FordGrill1.

GOG, Ganado, Witch Doctor 01 and 20 others like this.
  2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Wow...and the front cab mounts aren't rotted out? ;)

Nice find.

3. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[coo] [chopper]

ochit and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Always love old Ford pickups, heck, any old pickups, I'm not picky! You scored a real sweetheart there, enjoy!

I got it bad for old Dodge WW2 Power Wagons my self!

GOG, 3M-TA3, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Sweet! I would like to get my hands on a old VW bug and do the same (drop in conversion to replace points for usage now, but keep points if things went South) but also I want to play around/convert to alternative fuel source...but I know I won't ever have the time for at least a few years.

6. ochit

ochit Monkey+

I would like to have my Jaguar E back I never had a D type but man that was a mesmerizing car too cool for words.

7. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I’ve got 2 of my Harley’s set up for an easy points system switch out. I carry the stuff with me on the road in case the electronic stuff goes out. Half hour later I’m back in the wind.

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and ochit like this.
  8. STANGF150

Other than a lil spot of rust in one cab corner the body is fine. Currently trying to find sumone that does wiring to put a whole new wiring harness in it. That'll fix several problems, as well as get rid of any worries over a 46 year old wiring! Got my eyes out for a late '80s or early '90s junker that I can get the 5.0/302 motor out of as well as the AOD so I can have a more modern overdrive automatic trans, without electronics in it. Then theres interior work......................

SB21, Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Awesome truck @STANGF150 it looks like it has been well cared for. Those old Fords are great.

10. sdr

sdr Monkey++

Love the simplicity of older vehicles. Best truck I ever owned was a 1965 3/4 ton dodge. Very simple to work on. Engine started smoking too much. Decided to have it rebuilt. Turned out it had 3 cracked pistons. Still ran great though. My backyard mechanic at that time was working for cigarettes. Charged me $100 plus parts to fix it up. Thing was a beast. Very dependable.

11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Nice find!!!

sec_monkey likes this.
  12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

We gotta find ya some chrome bumpers, and a polished grill now! You know how us guys are, we like shiney chrome stuff! Lol!
    Let me know if you want, I know where there is a good supply of chrome for the early Ford's, and some Unique/Rare emblems!

sec_monkey and 3M-TA3 like this.
  13. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I've actually got that engine setup now , '91 model, 5.0 , roller cam , aluminum 4 bbl intake w/, 650 holley carb , msd ignition , and the AOD trans , with about 55,000 original miles on it. Came out of a Mustang. Bought it and was looking for a truck like yours to put it in , or a '60s or early '70s car . Not sure I've got enough life in me to complete all these projects I've got laying around.

STANGF150 and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Save yer self some serious headachs and get a Painless wiring harnes kit, and vintage air air conditioning. For engines, you want to look for any thing 93, especially SVT or Cobra, beyond that, the trickest sleeper set up is the 93 SVT Lightning 351 Roller motor, there rare as hens teeth, but oh so worth it. They take all the hot rod 5.0 parts, and are much more betterer! I have two of them, one for my 50 Ford Two door sedan, and one in my Sled, both are very stout, yet the Car engine is totally streetable and with the 5 speed, gets about 19 miles per gallon with the GT-40 heads and the Fox mustang injection system! Heads you want are from the 03 to 09 Ford Explorer, V-8, you can find them all over the wrecking yards, I got two sets for $50 a piece!

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2018
    SB21, sec_monkey and 3M-TA3 like this.
  15. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

^^^ what he said....

That 68/69 grill has got to go! lol A 71 is much sharper, albeit plastic.

Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  16. STANGF150

Its a '67 Grill. BumpGrills.

oldawg, sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  17. STANGF150

I live about an hours drive from Dennis Carpenters. Though they ain't cheap! Hoping to find sum used trim to go on the bump, & paint it the same white as the grill & bumpers for now. I'm just not a chromed out kinda guy. I like a lil flash, not a lotta flash! I want the 5.0 roller cam block as it'll be smoother than old style & it'll be a better match for the AOD. Not to mention the serpentine belt setup with it, as I already dislike V-belts. Got two possible set ups in mind for the motor. One makes 320hp, the other makes 365hp. Catch is I suspect each require high octane gas, so they'll have to be de-tuned a lil to run regular 87 octane like I want.

sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  18. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

To be quite honest with you, the "Little" 302 is a powerhouse motor, and dosnt need quite so much cam to make good street power. My brother is a wizz at Ford small blocks, and I would replicate what he did in his work van, basically a 93 Cobra spec engine with the "E" cam and GT-40 heads, BUT with the truck upper on a stock port matched car lower. His set up with the correct Cobra ECU pulled 320 HP at the wheels, and with the AOD-E trans, and 3:48 gears gets about 22 mpg, and pulls a 5 ton loaded trailer and a ton in the cargo area just fine, and with the exhaust he has, sounds awesome, it has a different sound then the typical mustang, more of a big block sound! Funny thing, his little 302 makes the same power as the Wife's Cougar with mild 390, and gets better mileage!

sec_monkey likes this.
  19. STANGF150

I'm hoping to make about 300hp out of a 302, but on 87 Octane. Your brother went the fuel injection route, not feasible if you want keep the truck EMP proof as much as possible. I figure to make 300hp on 87 octane, need to aim for about 350hp, then detune it to run on 87 octane.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  1. DKR
  2. Ura-Ki
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Andy the Aussie
  6. Yard Dart
  7. Tully Mars
  8. Thunder5Ranch
  9. BenP
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. the68