When it gets COLD, and you are OffGrid....

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by BTPost, Jan 11, 2020.

1. offgrittyt

offgrittyt You gonna eat that?

I heat with wood, nothin else. Finally got the tajmahcabin pretty well insulated so it holds heat awhile after the fire dies down. No grid connections here either, no refrigeration or indoor flush but i'm working towards that, in the meantime, appreciating what i do have.

IMG_20191218_145310.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Meat and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. offgrittyt

I problee could giggle it, but what's a Conex?

Meat likes this.
  3. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Shipping container.

Meat, offgrittyt and sec_monkey like this.
  4. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

a shippin container used on container ships, trains, trucks, and so on.

Meat and offgrittyt like this.
  5. offgrittyt

Ahh ok, thank you for the come back.

Meat and oldawg like this.
  6. offgrittyt

Thanks, as long as the roof doesn't leak and it's ventilated somehow so condensation doesn't build up, sounds like a great way to get some quick shelter.

Meat likes this.
  7. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

Meat and offgrittyt like this.
  8. offgrittyt

Cool, I always just called them a shipping container, didn't know they had any one particular inventor and an evolution!

Meat likes this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Update: Well, God does look after our family.... Today, We cooked a deal on a 2015 Kubota Diesel Side by Side with a nice Dumpbed on the back, and only has 600 miles on it.... and the best thing about the deal is that it is local... only 5 miles away, up the Inlet... The previous owner needs money to by property up near Tok, Ak, and is selling off his rolling stock. He sold his excavator, the Kubota, and a couple of ATVs... We cooked a deal with the buyer of the excavator, to split the cost of the landing craft to bring both down here, from where his can be shipped out on the first barge, this spring... Pictures to follow as soon as it gets here....

AD1, VisuTrac, Meat and 4 others like this.
  10. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

My Dad worked for MClean trucking when Mac MClean invented the 20 and 40' containers. He was pissed that it took so long for his drivers to load trucks from the mess that was dumped on the docks when a ship came in.

offgrittyt, oldawg, Meat and 2 others like this.
  11. BTPost

next Update: Well GOD has blessed us, again... I found a Kenwood TM-D710A that was posted 5 minutes before, for $275US Including shipping... I scooped it up Right Away, and it has already hit the Post Office Tracking System... Will not make it for this weeks Mail-plane, but should be here next week... I have a spare T/R Unit as well, so the Kubota will have Comms, as soon as it gets here... No word on that yet, but hopefully soon..

sec_monkey, Gator 45/70 and AD1 like this.
  12. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Sorry my friend. What do you think caused it?

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. BTPost

We believe that the 2A Battery Minder, shorted out, and started the fire, then the plastic Fuel Tank, that had just been Topped off, melted, (5 USG Gasoline) and from that point on, it was a total loss, and no stopping it...

AD1, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  14. BTPost

Last UpDate for this thread.... The new, to us, Kubota Diesel SbS will get delivered on Tuesday... Just got the call that the Vietnam Era Navy SEAL that lives here is coming home, after a month in the hospital, and recovery from a Brain Aneurisms , on Tuesday, on his nephew’s Landing-Craft, and I have arranged with the skipper, to run up the Inlet (5Miles) and pick the Kubota up and bring it down, and unload it here... So I will start a new Thread with Pictures, on Tuesday....

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Excellent news, now it's off to the weld shop for a skidder attachment!! How about that backhoe that was going to share the boat ride?

16. BTPost

This landing-craft isn’t big enough for the Excavator... the difference in weight is about 6 Tons...so it needs to wait for the bigger 105’ Landing-Craft, that will be out later this spring... I am just pleased to have thought of getting this smaller one, that will be here, anyway, to do the job, and for a lot less money...

17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Friend of mine has one, I think you'll enjoy it !

sec_monkey likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7