Which Get Home Rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by 3M-TA3, Jul 14, 2016.

1. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

any rifle I'm good at

GOG likes this.
  2. duane

duane Monkey+++

My approach to the get home gun is a little different, my problem isn't the get home gun if TSHTF, but the every day carry gun up until the event. While I hope and pray that I never will need to use it, I have one with me and while the AR platform is my first choice, I actually carry a 30-30 lever in my car and my greatest fear is forgetting to take it out before going to the Peoples Republic of Mass as you can get a mandatory year in prison for EDC. That would be a very bad place to be if TSHTF. While I only have 25 miles to get home from work, the road network is very controlling and while it may be the only factor to save us from the golden hoard, it makes getting home after the event very difficult with a car. Recon, avoid problems, leave early, know your local law and have think that you are an old fart that hunts and shoots a gun like their grand dad had, and not a dreaded "survivalist" seems to work for me. Most law officers are paranoid and it seems that under the present circumstances, that is a very good survival skill. My whole goal in life is to appear to be a very peaceful looking sheep and a threat to no one, but to have the ability to protect myself.

Taku, GOG and Ganado like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The rifle draws too much attention I think.

Salted Weapon likes this.
  4. svjoe

svjoe Angry Monkey

Whichever one you are better shooting with. Either way, they both need a sling..............

3M-TA3, Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  5. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Best get you some fold-down sights for that AR...optics are great...till Murphy strikes.

Yard Dart, Taku, 3M-TA3 and 1 other person like this.
  6. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

^^^^^^what he said.

If the optic is "zero mag" then the iron sites should be co-incident with the red dot which lets you know if the optic get whacked out of alignment.

Taku likes this.
  7. rjburk

rjburk Monkey

Build a 8.5 to 10.5 AR pistol with a stability brace....nice and light.....easier to conceal.....10.5 barrel is man accurate to 300 yards....in a bad situation ATF won't be around to see you shouldering it like a rifle....my 10.5 SBR is my go to rifle....shoots 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards....Surefire QD Suppressor, nice balance and dead reliable. I owned 3 different Mini's and they are not even in the game IMO....

3M-TA3 likes this.
  8. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

I agree and as well and what others have said about the Ruger and noise. There will be profiling and the more you are thinking of ammoing up to get somewhere the more it makes me thing the perspective on going thirty miles is not being seen, hiking 30 miles is about like trying to drive in SHTF 150 miles. It wont be easy and the more attention you have to yourself the worse it will be.
    Me just myself I would carry my bolt action CZ 527( in 7.62x39) and a Sig 40sw .both these are not very tactical so not really an eye catcher or fit a profile, but are very able and super reliable. Both are easy to field and require min ammo just giving an idea of how you could travel light yet heavy enough.
    I do disagree about getting parts, for an AR. Getting parts will require exposure try and get there using a defensive weapon that has small amount of moving parts. Thats all I got.

duane likes this.
  9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Dead bang right. I have Troy fold down sights on all my AR's now. That picture was taken right after the build. IMO you should buy the iron sights before you buy the optics if you can't afford both at the same time.

And as a matter of fact they are :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    Taku and GOG like this.
  10. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

This is my choice for a rear site. I have.....had before the canoe accident these on 3 AR

image. image.

And it folds flat too

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2016
    Salted Weapon, GOG and 3M-TA3 like this.
  11. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I carry a handgun for getting home. I dont want any chance of losing my rifle having it in my car.

12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

If I already had the SU-16C (or CA) that would probably be the one due to it's light weight, ability to fold small, and ability to shoot when folded. The only disadvantage to it is the polymer frame will loosen up during extended firing. The nutnfancy review I posted in another thread indicated this would happen after about three mags. At that point, though, I'd probably be dead, so not maybe a factor.

At current prices, though, it's tough to justify a SU-16 (or a Mini-14) purchase when there are some really great AR-15s in the $600 range. The Mini-14 made sense in 1986 when AR's were more than twice the price and there weren't other alternatives. I might put that one on the chopping block this fall if there is a panic and use the money for other preps.

Taku and GOG like this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

You could carry almost what ever you want in the cooler months if you wore a trench coat.

14. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

If I had my druthers, I'd pick a M1a scout squad with the polymer stock. And pick up a drum mag. They recoil like an M1 carbine, have all of the .308 thump, and the scout squad is handier than hellfire in most AO. Maybe add a red dot type of deal on the pic rail, and grab some mags for it.
    I've also considered pick up a winchester 1886 to add a little thump to my truck gun, but I can;t justify it ot the misses. Haha.

Taku likes this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Just carry an ax.
    I did when I lived in maine. Well an ax and a rifle and pistol and some times a chain saw.

Salted Weapon likes this.
  16. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

What ? No scissors ?

17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If i had your challenge i might prefer a bull pup design type weapon, common in other countries for day to day use.
    Carrying a rifle is challenge enough to remain stealthy ,the bull pup design needs no take down to remain hidden ,and 100%ready to go.
    However in a post apocalyptic event ,any thing moving, is likely to draw attention, no matter what they may be carrying.
    A rifle assumes you've got a wide area to move around in, but leaving the city may not provide this luxury.
    A hand gun is most appropriate, but it lacks range, if your being picked at from a distance.
    My concern is not so much as getting home, as it is reclaiming my property, if I'm getting home late in the game. Clearing rooms with a rifle/shot gun is not practical, this is where a hand gun shines IMO .
    the bull pup is the compromise.
    I like my mini 14, but I must agree it's loud. but fact of the matter is, all are loud,, hearing protection is advisable .

18. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

It takes a certain amount of time for things to get really nasty - I'd guess about a week for food and water shortages to do their magic. The first two days the goal is to cross the Columbia and make my way through the industrial areas before heading south. Crossing the I-5 or Glenn Jackson bridges or getting ferried across is why the take down aspect of the AR or an SU-16 folder makes sense as the first few days I can travel during the day and put as many miles as I can.

Depending upon circumstances I could make the trip in as few as two days or it could be longer than a week if things get very hairy very fast. My house if prepped and will be occupied and still secure by the time I get there.

I definitely like the bullpup idea. A Tavor would be ideal, but I'm working with what I have for now and trying to consolidate my 5.56 platforms. Then again, I'm getting ready to sell my other Mini-14, which is a legally converted MG, so will have some funds to play with...

Yard Dart likes this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

What about a PS90 or P90?
    Not nearly as big as most rifles or bulpumps and holds roughly triple the ammo of most pistols and almost double the ammo of most rifles.

20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

IF the rule of law is out the window, then certain modifications might be the norm ,in which case taking a long barreled rifle and making something closer to the bull pup design might be practical .
    After all the bull pup is a linkage issue for the trigger, so moving it forward with a new grip is not really that much of a challenge.
    Making a new mount for a scope or sights can be improvised on any gun and it just takes time and some imagination .
    I venture to say that one must learn to shoot from the hip, post SHTF ,the seconds it takes to take some position is not survivable .
    One of the reasons I practice with air /Co2 guns .
    Dry fire in a fire arm, does not expose inaccuracy . and it is rough on the machinery.
    If you took two hammers and continually struck the face against one another your would begin to see the defacement occur.the gun is no different , the shock on the springs is wear as well. 22 firing pins tend to deface the receiver take a good look at it . not to mention the hammering on the inside of the pin and hammer and it's springs.
    There are a number of air/co2 guns that are made to function and feel the same as many of the real thing.
    The things they don't have it the price tag of the gun it's self and the price of ammo and recoil, which is great training.
    Food for thought.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7