Which one 6m, 10mSSB, 12W SSB CB?

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by scpn, Mar 27, 2023.

1. scpn

scpn Monkey+++

I've got 2m, 440, GMRS HTs and 4W CB. I'm considering adding one more option in lower frequency / longer wavelength: either 6m, 10mSSB or 12W SSB-CB. This is for simplex use when repeaters aren't available. I can't find much info to compare these because most HAMs aren't interested in this until they have no other choice. If you've actually used one or more of these (in simplex mode) and have useful input, particularly regarding range compared to 2m or CB, then I'd appreciate it. I'm not especially interested in theory but rather practical experience.

Dunerunner likes this.
  2. scpn

scpn Monkey+++

Talking around the globe is exactly what I am NOT interested in. If you think my question is garbage, then you could ignore it.

techsar likes this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Well I guess he told you troublemaker !

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

6M and 10M have a greater Groundwave potential, than any of other bands specified, with Ham Radio ERP considerations… When you add E2 and F2 Propagation to the above, you then get to add Skywave to distances of possible communications… Since were are now nearing Sun Cycle Peak, the higher bands have a better than even chance of being open, rather than closed… The previous discussion is based on 50 years of HF Comms experience both in Ham and Commercial Comms…

scpn and Bandit99 like this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Might as well throw up a Non-Resonant End Fed (aka: Long Wire, Random wire) of 84 feet with a 17-foot counterpoise (radial) and get most of the Ham bands since you are going to purchase another radio anyway. Doesn't have to be super expensive HF radio, but it would give you 6m,10m plus all the others. And, if you don't feel like getting a license then simply listen, don't transmit. However, the licenses are super easy now so no reason not to get one. Lots of folks here have them and we all stand ready to answer questions.

6. scpn

scpn Monkey+++

Yea, more allowed power is something to consider. I still have to narrow it down to one or the other because rigs that do both are too expensive. I'm not interested in skywave, unless it is just a bonus; it mostly over shoots my range of interest. The other main consideration I know of is which band has more stations on the air (not counting ones that have it and don't use it).

7. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

You don't list specific goals. 6 meters will work well for shorter range when the 6 meter band isn't open, on par with CB. 10 meters is open more often and has way more people to talk to. 6,10, and 11 meters all have the capability of talking long range when the band conditions permit. If the goal is regional only, 6 or 11 is your best bet.

8. scpn

scpn Monkey+++

I did give my specific goal: better survival comms when the repeaters don't work. I did not list specific miles because I don't know what I can get with the ones I don't have. But basically as far as I can get with ground wave. With 2m simplex I mostly only get 2-3 miles reliably. I have gotten as far as 15-20 with other stations that have a tower. Putting up my own tower is not an option - if it were, I'd just use 2m and be done. Adding a lower frequency is just to try to improve on 2m simplex. I don't expect to get 30 miles without a tower, but routinely getting out 5-10 miles would be an improvement. Higher frequencies like 440 and especially GMRS don't get through the trees as well so those will be useless or at best neighborhood only. I have no particular interest in doing long distance via skip, skywave, etc. but it's OK when it occurs with the frequencies I have. I have no plans to ever do HF so there's no point in suggesting that to me.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
  9. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

he's clearly interested in spending money to feel prepared, not actually using it. Just sell him a Bearcat scanner and tell him it's what he asked for :)

10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

My question is, If he is getting only 2-3 miles range on Vhf Bands, is he using only Handheld, 5 watt or less, standard Factory Rubber Duck, Antennas? When I am at my place out in the Alaskan Bush, I routinely have 5-8 mile ranges with a pair of Kenwood HT-D72a, 5 watt, standard Rubber Duck Antennas, thru hilly, Southeastern Alaska Spruce Rain Forest… and when communicating with our Kubota Side-by-Side running a Kenwood TM-D710GA 50 watt mobile radio, with a gain mobile dualband antenna, those ranges stretch out to 10 - 15 miles…Then running comms from the Handhelds to the TM-D710a Mobile 50 watt Radios mounted in our cabins with rooftop mounted dualband collinear antennas and at 800’ above Sea-level, 25 miles is routine… Then between the cabins and the Kubota we have pushed that out to over 30 miles, and when making from the Cabins to USCG for Emergency Comms we are well past 50 miles to their Mtn-Top Remote sites…as well to their SAR Choppers, when flying at 2000’AGL…

Idahoser and Bandit99 like this.
  11. scpn

scpn Monkey+++

I have a 75W mobile for 2m. I don't keep any record of power level settings I've tested for simplex. External antennas, vertical stick and slim jim, normally 16 ft off the ground. I have a Yagi but I don't keep it set up - saving it for emergency. I used to get ~5 miles with CB where I used to live - more houses but fewer trees there. Can't test that here because no activity. None of this is really the point though; I was interested in comparisons from any one locale by people that have tried this sort of thing. I'll just pick one and make do.

12. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@scpn I do look at the 10m and 6m band occasionally but there isn't as much action there (North Idaho). I mean, you should be able to get better distance with a good HF antenna on 10m and 6m than you would get with 2m, as you probably know. I think 6m is sort of temperamental, sunspot cycle and propagation making it not reliable. The 10m definitely is workable but also can be finicky, good in the Summer months though. Now, that you asked the question, I will start checking it more often.

Sounds like you are pretty well set up to me. Perhaps, look into a NVIS antenna, simple to set up, which would definitely give you better regional coverage, very good in fact, say up to 500 miles, but you won't be talking overseas then look into a 2nd hand HF rig...this would definitely give you more tools in the toolbox.

I've been thinking of trying a NVIS mobile version, like the military uses but currently trying to get a Delta Loop antenna up so it will have to wait.

EDIT: I just finished reading an article and learned that truckers are now using 6m and 10m to gain distance...didn't know that, makes sense but seems not as reliable and 2m and 70cm and more difficult to operate while driving; nevertheless, I do know folks that do mobile HF in their cars and trucks all the time.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
    scpn likes this.
  13. scpn

scpn Monkey+++

NVIS was originally my only interest in HF, 20m or 40m or whatever works best. HAMs around here made it sound discouraging. Not sure but I think lack of users was the problem. So one of these other options is where I have shifted my focus to.

14. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

The new info tells me 6m with a 1 wavelength high vertical may be your best bet, decent groundwave and decent >50 mile range. When the band opens (not that much) you will still have extra long range capability. NC Highway Patrol was on it until the early '90s and it served them well.

scpn and BTPost like this.
  15. whynot#2

whynot#2 Monkey+

NVIS on 40 meters will get you 0-400+ miles depending on time / conditions.

A 2 meter ground plane antenna on a 20-30 ft push up pole or fishing pole should get you 20-30 miles depending on terrain.

Like most of life YMMV.....

whynot#2

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7