which one?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by limpingbear, Jan 30, 2012.

1. limpingbear

limpingbear future cancer survivor....

I will be taking a trip here soon. A one way trip from Fayetteville NC to Reno NV. My choices are Greyhound or Amtrack. They both cost the same and travel time is almost the same.
    Do either of them do the TSA baggade x ray and traveler screening? I can take more stuff on an amtrac but im not sure about if they screen bags or not. Not that i plan to transport anything illegal or anything, but i was going to take a few long guns (dissasembled) in my checked bags. Both routes take me through illinois, And the train also goes through DC.

which one would you choose?

2. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay

I would take amtrack, better overall service and I would much rather be on a train (personal preference). Also if it is checked you should be able to take just about any weapon you can leagally own.

3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

will miss you in the NC area.... but wish you the best... an alternate is check with some of the car transfer companies... if you have a good driving record people will pay to have a vehicle driven out to a new destination... some GUI's may also need to have a vehicle driven cross country for them... saves them $$ allows you to bring more items...

jungatheart likes this.
  4. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Firearms in Checked Baggage

Effective December 15, 2010, Amtrak will accept reservations of firearms and ammunition for carriage between Amtrak stations and on Amtrak trains within the United States that offer checked baggage service. Thruway Bus Services will not be included in this service change. The following policies are in effect:

• Notification that the passenger will be checking firearms/ammunition must be made no later than 24 hours before train departure by calling Amtrak at 800-USA-RAIL. Online reservations for firearms/ammunition are not accepted.
    • The passengers must travel on the same train that is transporting the checked firearms and/or ammunition.
    • All firearms and/or ammunition must be checked at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled train departure. Some larger stations require that baggage be checked earlier. Please contact your departure station for more details.
    • All firearms (rifles, shotguns, handguns, starter pistols) must be unloaded and in an approved, locked hard-sided container not exceeding 62" L x 17" W x 7" D (1575 mm x 432 mm x 178 mm). The passenger must have sole possession of the key or the combination for the lock to the container. The weight of the container may not exceed 50 lb/23 kg.
    • Smaller locked, hard-sided containers containing smaller unloaded firearms such as handguns and starter pistols must be securely stored within a suitcase or other item of checked baggage, but the existence of such a firearm must be declared.
    • All ammunition carried must be securely packed in the original manufacturer's container; in fiber, wood, or metal boxes; or in other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. The maximum weight of all ammunition and containers may not exceed 11 lb/5 kg.
    • The passenger is responsible for knowing and following all federal, state, and local firearm laws at all jurisdictions to and through which he or she will be travelling.
    • All other Amtrak checked baggage policies apply, including limits on the number of pieces of checked baggage, the maximum weight of each piece (50 lb/23 kg).
    • Firearms/ammunition may not be carried in carry-on baggage; therefore, checked baggage must be available on all trains and at all stations in the passenger's itinerary.
    • At the time of check-in, passengers will be required to complete and sign a two-part Declaration Form.
    • BB guns and Compressed Air Guns (to include paintball markers), are to be treated as firearms and must comply with the above firearms policy. Canisters, tanks, or other devices containing propellants must be emptied prior to checking and securely packaged within the contents of the passenger's luggage.
    Passengers failing to meet the above-mentioned requirements for checking firearms will be denied transportation.
    Passengers wanting to inquire about or begin the firearms reservation process should use the Contact Us page to select "Checked Firearms Program" as the subject and follow guidance.

Here is Amtrak's link: Amtrak - Plan - Policies - Firearms in Checked Baggage
    <table><thead><tr><th scope="col" class="center">
    </th><th scope="col" class="center">
    </th><th scope="col" class="center">
    </th></tr></thead><tbody><tr class="even"><td>
    </td><td class="center">
    </td><td class="center">
    </td></tr><tr class="odd"><td>
    </td><td class="center">
    </td><td class="center">
    </td></tr><tr class="even"><td>
    </td><td class="center">
    </td><td class="center">
    </td><td class="center">
    </td><td class="center">
    </td><td class="center">
    </td><td class="center">
    </td><td class="center">
    </td><td class="center">
    </td><td class="center">
    </td><td class="center">
    </td><td class="center">
    </td><td class="center">
    </td><td class="center">
    </td><td class="center">
    </td><td class="center">
    </td><td class="center">
    </td><td class="center">
    </td><td class="center">
    </td><td class="center">
    </td><td class="center">
    </td><td class="center">
    </td><td class="center">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

5. limpingbear

thanks for the replies. looks like im going amtrack. Colt, that info and link realy helps thanks.

6. m 99

m 99 Monkey+++

Well it's a toss up if you ask me. I am a engineer for the 2nd largest railroad in the US. At least 2 times a week slamtrak runs late and they put a slop frieght train in front of slamtrak. It does kind of give smile when all the people waiting on slamtrak hear a train coming think its here and here we come on a slop frieght and just smile and wave. Not the 1st time the people on the slamtrak had to get on a bus. But thats from Indy to Chicago and back. So good luck!!!!!

BTPost likes this.
  7. gejoat

gejoat Monkey+

For what is worth, a lot of buses stop in lots of places and some of those places are not in the best side of town..

8. limpingbear

Ive done both greyhound and amtrac long distance before. Greyhound from milington TN to modesto CA ans amtrac from jacksonville FL to santa cruz CA. long trips either way you go. At least with the train i can take more of my stuff with me. (divorces suck)

9. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

Hope everything works out really well for you, Limpingbear.....quite a switch from NC to NV!! Weatherwise, if nothing else. At least, not being an American, I am making assumptions from up here in Canada, on that.

Safe travelling! If you have any adventures don't forget to let us all hear about them.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7