White House Christmas philosophy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ghrit, Dec 11, 2009.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

[rnt] Any one see this in a US media outlet? This is from a Chinese newsrag. Emphasis mine.

WASHINGTON, Dec. 11 (Xinhua) -- A new survey finds that an overwhelming majority of Americans, more than 70 percent, prefer the seasonal expression "Merry Christmas."
    Other 22 percent go for "Happy Holidays," according to the Rasmussen poll released on Friday.
    The survey also shows Republicans and independents prefer "Merry Christmas" more than Democrats.
    The preference for this phrase are 91 percent, 70 percent and 58 percent among Republicans, independents and Democrats.
    Older Americans also prefer "Merry Christmas" more.
    However, the first family apparently doesn't like either "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays".
    President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama have just mailed thousands of greeting cards that say simply, "Season's Greetings."
    The Obamas' card, paid for by the Democratic National Committee, makes no religious reference whatsoever.
    "May your family have a joyous holiday season," says the Obamas' greeting, "and a new year blessed with hope and happiness."
    This came after reports that the White House under Zero plans its first Christmas to be a "nonreligious" one.

Great snots, this guy has got to go. Christmas isn't even mentioned in the card, just the New Year. [rnt]

Really. That is taking PC a mite far.

2. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

Our Prez's attitude towards Christmas surprises you?
    What else would you expect from a Muslim that managed to get elected to the USA's highest office?

3. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

But their card sent hope for a "blessed" new year... Doesn't that have implications of a religious tone?

[angel]

4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

The zeroes don't want to 'offend' the tiny minority of Muzzos in this country, so they proceed to offend the many millions of Christians instead.

Of course, WE don't go around blowing up ourselves, along with our enemies and many innocents all at once. :rolleyes:

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

This is actually one policy I happen to agree with. Call me silly, but religion has no place in politics. Morals are not derived from ancient fiction novels, they should not be dictated, and furthermore -our SERVANTS in public office have no authority to become religious leaders in the first place...so I don't see what the fuss is about.

Nobody is stopping you from getting on your knees at night and praying to some invisible man, and nobody is keeping you from attending mass religious functions where you can sing and chant and dance with snakes and compare clothing either.

Get over it. And have a great celebration of welcoming in the new SUN of the year. For those who have not a clue; the true meaning to your convoluted belief systems spring from celestial knowledge.

AMEN RA.

6. Conagher

Conagher Dark Custom Rider Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

When the pilgrims started this country, they left England to be able to have the freedom to exercise their Christian religion views and to be free from the King's taxes.

This country was founded upon Christian values and the founding fathers believed that without God on their side, they would not have been able to establish this great country as a free nation.

7. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

So the lighting of the whitehouse xmas tree(tradition) has fallen by the wayside?
    We're free to believe as we will...
    Though merely tolerating anothers beliefs is not the same as respecting them(the people).

Sorry Brokor: though I tend to side with you, and used those very same terms with my parents back in the cenzoic era, IMHO that was a cheapshot...

8. Brokor

Religion isn't called mind control to those who believe in it's lies.

You want a "cheap shot"? Try explaining away the countless MILLIONS who are DEAD all in the name of (insert religion) and its GOD. Look a child in the eyes and tell them that you support an unconstitutional war, nothing short of genocide -in order to fulfill the wishes of the Corporate Empire...because your "God" is on your side...because Pat Robertson is a "Holy Man" who would never lie. No, the only CHEAP SHOT I see is the price of FREEDOM being easily traded for the privilege to ignorantly believe in the greatest lie ever conceived by mankind; RELIGION is slavery. End of story.

But, what do I know? I suppose that I am just experiencing the wrong time -because in the world I envision, the religious person is long extinct. In the not too distant future, the mindless zombies of the past have served their purpose and can only be described in the pages of history as being "necessary collateral". We will welcome the age of reason -and the religious crowd aren't invited to the opening ceremony.

Oops, did I say too much again? Well, since we are all sharing devoted opinions...now you have MINE.

9. Brokor

I am not trying to insult you personally, but that's the greatest pile of crap I have ever heard. [booze]
    I suppose that the Pilgrims also donated the blessed blankets laced with smallpox to the indigenous people of NORTH AMERICA whilst they ran from the King's tyranny and oppression? And I guess that these loving Christians also abhorred SLAVERY, because no Christian could ever possibly conceive of OWNING another human being, right? And then we have the Founders, with GOD ON THEIR SIDE, establishing one nation under the corporations with masonic secrecy and elitist policy for all. Right?

Here's a hint: There were quite a substantial amount of atheists among the delegates. But YOUR version of history never really changes, does it? [winkthumb]

Way to go!

10. Conagher

Conagher Dark Custom Rider Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Way to go what?

Your keyboard attitude is that of an arrogant and pompous ass!

Typical and predictable statements from you when religion is discussed on this forum.

You sure like to voice your anti-religious opinions and views on here, but when someone of a religious faith wants to express their religious views and opinions, you cry foul.

11. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

It was not my intent to start a shitstorm.

when I read your original comment, I was thinking of folks like minuteman and conagher whom I may not agree with but respect; and live here too, Not the corporate power structure.
    I'm sorry I was the trigger for this...

12. MinTX

MinTX lostinaustin

We all know what opinions are like, don't we?
    If I recall correctly, the thread started as the point that the (p)residential... Christmas cards have deteriorated.

I respect your right to express your opinion, as our founding fathers bled for the right for each of us to have our say.
    Blind belief in the ONLY ME philosophy is just as bad, darlin'.
    Not all people of faith believe that Pat Robertson has a direct line to God. In fact, quite the opposite. There are many areas to disagree and the atheist will always slam heads with the theists.
    Your arrogance is quite unbecoming.

13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Min - I'm with you at this point. Fact is, I wish I had not posted that article in the first place. All it's done is create H&D among good guys.

14. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

No G; I took it upon myself to chatise Brokor for making fun of views held by some of the cadre instead of just simply disagreeing ...

My sanctimonius bad.

Infact I do think Pat Robertson; Jim and Tammy fae baker are laughable frauds and insults to inteligent folks everywhere;, the earth in fact, is not only 6,000 years old;, there is no giant hand built wooden ship in the mountains of turkey with petrified ocelot, lion and beaver crap lining the hold; I can never understand the logic of someone who can state with a straight face: "the bible is true because God said it was;it's right there in the bible".

but when my wife's "45minute simple hysterectomy turned into 3hours of nervous waiting, and the surgeon finally came out and said: "she's staged for cancer". My self centered intelectual secular self was looking for help in an invisible man in the clouds... So I give folks room to believe in their particular blend of mojo.[boozingbuddies]Without pressing them for explanation, proof, or evidence. Religion may or may not be entirely man made but it gives folks comfort during the painful times of human life. And that's not always bad. Surely bad things have been done in the name of someone's God..No question.

15. Brokor

Well said Tango. ;)

I don't pretend to know everything, and I certainly do not assume that the burden of proof rests upon the shoulders of men, like myself, who do not have imaginary Jewish friends who will save our soul if we can ask forgiveness. These matters are left to mud-hut dwellers and the mundane who have little understanding of our solar system and seasons...and history.

It's not that I am purposefully trying to be a rude or arrogant person -text has a funny way of NOT relating one's own temperament. I am actually quite jovial and light-hearted with most of this stuff...but I can be a bit curt with religion and the fact that no matter WHERE I GO somebody just has to try and shove it down my THROAT. With a shovel. And sometimes possibly a front-loader. I merely offer a second opinion. I know that I am in the minority, so there is little harm that my Atheism may be contagious. We wouldn't want to upset the past two thousand years of bloodshed and warmongering and actually strive for a little peace on this planet -BLASPHEMY ! you say...

Take it easy, folks. Now you know how I feel. There's nothing quite like a little symmetry once in a while.

and...
    [​IMG] THOSE AREN'T YOUR LEGS!

16. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Two topics that never seem to fail to raise the level of mental testosterone are religion and politics. I happen to be a very devout person that is not a christian and truly believes that God is real but not a cognizant being and that thanks to god are given as a reminder to appreciate our blessings rather than as a fee for entrance to heaven. With this in mind, I can say that god is on all our sides and the twisted logic that uses religion for an excuse to further any political or religious agenda is the work of man and god could care less. Man conceived the notion that god needed to be praised and worshiped; I believe that god has no cognizant thoughts in that direction and neither ego or personification fit into the equation.

17. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Actually Brokor Conagher was correct. The Puritans left England for the chance at a new life without prosecution from religious beliefs. If you do not believe in their religious views take a look at the Mayflower Compact which is the document they signed prior to landing
    I would also request that you attempt to not be so Inflammatory in your atheist views. It is fine to state your views but when you attempt to make a mockery of something so important to so many people (especially here) you do not do yourself any favor, but just alienate those who consider you to be a friend. Many of us have religious viewpoints, and yes atheisim is actually by definition a religion. Just be tolerant my friend there is no need to throw gas on the fire.

18. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

AWWWW Brokor!
    next you're gonna tell me the easter bunny is a figment of my parents imagination!!!!maddd

19. MinTX

MinTX lostinaustin

Ummm, yes they are. That pic was taken in my spare bedroom
    God gave 'em to me... I just take care of them.
    [flag]

20. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Wow, that's a refreshingly new viewpoint to my ears; thanks Seacowboys for sharing..I have often considered an inferno thread on "God and religion" to help me sort out my contorted views ;but I don't think it would stay inside (even with our relatively level headed crew).I blame myself for blackjack wandering away after a heated democan /republicrat thread. ( "Obama good/bad" related) I see this issue is even hotter and not to be trifled with.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7