whiz wheel for ballistics

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by CATO, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

So let me elaborate on what I want more specifically. I want an affordable very good factory tack driver. I just don't have the bucks for a custom rig or the time to work up my own. I have 100 acres of farm land behind the homestead and 50 acres of woods with some modest terrain beyond that. I'd like to just work up some long range shooting up to 800 yards for fun and practice. I also have wild turkeys and coyotes I see back there with great regularity. I'd like to be able to take out the coyotes, they improve the bean crop cleaning out the ground hogs but cause other problems. And in a more survival situation I'd like to make some 200-300 yard head shots on some turkeys if I ever needed. So a good heavy barrel varmint gun is my desire.

I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

AT

2. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

That would be an awesome shot at 300yds.

Do you have an AR? If so, would a 5.56 with a bull barrel meet your varmiting needs? You could stockpile ammo that way.

In a normal world, I would suggest the 22-250.

3. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Without ranging shots, past awesome. ;)

This is an approximation. With a 3 MPH steady breeze a 22-250 shooting a 55 gr at 3700 will drift about 1.3" at 300. If the wind is varying from 1 to 3 MPH the POI will differ by ~.9".

4. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Awesome? Absolutely. Achieveable?? Well you guys probably have more experience than I.
    I got to have something to strive for. :)

I have a couple ARs in 556 and two national match M1As that could use a bit more accurizing. Those would be my defense weapons (along with a few others). Just looking for a tack driver to' have fun with, to reduce the coyote population and take a few turkeys with if needed. I can range and wind stream the whole area, it is my back yard, literally.

Thanks. AT

5. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Here's another idea/suggestion: buy an upper with a free-floating Wilson bull barrel and a nice scope and really get to know the ballistics on the AR. When you get it set up right, you will have a tack driver that, if needed, will do a whole lot more than a bolt action, say, if the SHTF. Obviously, the 5.56 doesn't have the superior ballistics of the 22-250, but, there may come a day when those rounds are really hard to come by, then, the gun will be useless.

Yes, you're going to need something better than surplus ammo to do what you want--so, have a hundred rounds of match or hand loads lying around. But, if you ever needed to, your tack driver should be able to eat decent surplus ammo all day long. It's like you've got two guns in one. And, you will be able to use your AR to do amazing things because you've practiced using it long range.

Tack driver:

tackdriver.

6. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

There are two kinds of shooting; one is at the range and the other in the field. At the range with an 8 MPH wind; after a few ranging shots, you know where the impact is and how to compensate for the wind. In the field shooting at turkeys, deer or even ground hogs; they'll vanish after the ranging shot.

Airtime,
    Unless you have a dead calm day a turkey's head at 300 would be a challenge; plus the ones I watch move a lot.

CATO,
    If I would have taken your advice, I'd have one AR and a few uppers and as you know that is so wrong. ;) ;) ;)

As Airtime has a couple or ARs and 2 NM MIAs, he is searching for an excuse to buy an accurate bolt gun in a caliber he doesn't have and we are supposed to help.. ;) I've had the same issues myself.
    I don't know about airtime, but even the wife laughs at my reasons (aka lame excuses) to buy another firearm.

oldawg likes this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

One of my "Favorites" was when I was teaching Hunter Education in Washington State.... Kids in the chairs, and Dads lining the walls. My introduction always had a section where I explained that I spent my summers traveling in the bush of Alaska. After the first class ended, there was ALWAYS, one or two Dads that came up to ask about " Personal Bear Protection".... "is a. .44 Magnum Pistol the right gun, for my Once in a Lifetime Fishing Trip to Alaska?". It was always fun to explain to the that " NO, The only REAL Bear Protection, is a Pump 12Ga Shotgun, with Slugs & 00Buck." What they REALLY wanted was to have the excuse, "The Hunter Education Instructor said I needed a .44 Magnum, for my Alaska Fishing Trip." on his wife so she would let him bring one thru the Front Door... You could pick out which Dads would be the ones, just by watching their expressions.

8. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Well, I didn't think that I had to point out that the lone upper has the unique ability to spontaneously sprout a lower when you're (read: "the wife) not looking. They just don't seem to stay lonesome for long.

9. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Tikka, BT. Reluctantly you have probably hit the nail on the head. You got me thinkin more.

CATO. Good idea. You know my ARs are like 20 years old and the flat top uppers didn't even exist when I put those together. One does have a 16" Wilson barrel and I like it a bunch. The other has a crappy barrel and maybe going with a new flat top upper and the floating bull Wilson as you suggest may just be a much better option. Crap... now I have to think about all this some more.

Thanks guys.
    AT

10. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Been looking at flat tops with 24" Wilson bull barrels with Wylde chambers. Golly, there are as much to 300 bucks more than a complete Remington 700 in 22-250 dpending on which flavors of the details. Any favorite suppliers and part brands??

Still thinkin.
    AT

11. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

If it tickles your fancy, perhaps a 6.8 SPCII?

The 6.5 is a little more accurate and the 7mm's terminal ballistics are a touch better. However the 6.8 was developed by Remington, the Army's AMT, and SOCOM. Adds another dimension to the "short action" AR platform.
    It has taken elk at 400, deer hunters speak highly of it, and I'll swear to it's accuracy. Another plus, is it isn't as sensitive to barrel length as most.
    About the only minus is some magazines don't work with the Berger 140 gr bullets.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7