Who are they going to shoot?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hot diggity, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Economics man,Gang members pay very little in taxes !

2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

yeah... University of what? U of F. nuff sed.

3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Its a great quote and it presumes people are rational and can stop their impulses long enough to think.

If you have been living anti gun for your whole life and at the 1st sign of trouble, your 1st impulse is to get a gun that you dont know how to use, then i would say you are not rational and should not qualify as ratiional.

Tully Mars, SB21, Mountainman and 8 others like this.
  4. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I respectfully agree to a point and disagree to a point on a couple of points. This based solely only life experience.

I totally agree with the entire first paragraph. The old saying "Talk is cheap and Action Cost" is more than just a saying. Lots of talkers that have not paid the cost of taking action. That is not a bad thing all together IMO. I would love it if no one ever had to pony up the price for what action cost. That is not the world we live in though and for the vast majority they should consider themselves lucky that there those that will pay the price so they don't have to.

I disagree that the world is mostly good folks. Again my own perspective from my own experiences. I see the world mostly populated by indifferent that are overall decent people that cross back and forth over the good and bad line. Truly good people are not all that common and Truly Evil people are equally as rare and there is a constant mental war waged to lean the masses of indifferent to one side or the line or the other. Enter those of us that do bad things so that decent folks can sleep safely at night. And then there are those that are just tools of evil that do bad things so that decent people live in fear even in their dreams. Hard to put to words exactly but I am going to assume that you have seen and experienced just how fine that line is between between the two. Something very difficult to balance out inside ones self if you are one of those good people that do bad things so that decent people can sleep safely at night.

Agree that armed people no matter what their mentality, training and skill level are.... are dangerous. Training and Skill does not make you invulnerable. It does give you and edge. LOL if it made you invulnerable I would not have nearly as many holes and scars as I do :) I am of the school now days, that avoiding conflict unless it is otherwise impossible is the best route. There is no such thing as a guaranteed you will win in a knife or gun fight no matter how good or well trained you are, Mr Murphy is always there waiting to help the opposition out whenever he can. Good friend took out a bad guy with a near perfect shot, bad guy depressed the trigger while dropping and a split second later a ricochet from the bad guys fire hit him in the back of the neck and left him paralyzed from the neck down for the next 35 years of his life. That is how well the best laid plans with perfect execution and the best training in the world can turn out. Saw a lot of greenies that were the Ultimate Billy bad asses over the years turn to poopy pants soggy sponges when the rubber hit the road. TRUTH is no one knows how they are going to react when it comes time to shoot at someone else, even more so when that someone else is shooting at you or started shooting at you. Also seen the guys that were dead ringers to poop and run turn into a murdering mad machine with no fear in them once that switch in their mind flipped. I always love the people that say they know what they will do. Nope they don't at least not until they are in the position of having to do it. Living with what is done either way is another matter entirely. Again I wish we lived in a world where no one ever had to be in those positions. But we don't we live in a world where you are either a grinder or the meat when it comes right down to it. And the grinders are always going to be grinding the meat for someone higher up the chain on either side of the Good/Evil Spectrum. Then the whole question of is there really even good or bad since all the string pullers use evil/bad to achieve their end goals.

And I am going to just stop now and never speak of this stuff again here.

wideym, Alf60, Srchdawg-again and 8 others like this.
  5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Seen too many times on crime shows (the kind with real life criminals and urban thugs)

Q - So, why did you shoot (victim X) ?
    A - (pick one or more)
    He dissed me
    He mean mugged me (I sh!t you not)
    Dude was throwing sign
    Was robb'n the dude and he fought back..
    Went to jack the car & the dude tried to drive off

There are, sadly, a whole host of other responses - all of which indicate a total indifference to human life, along with the idea that theft, robbery and drug dealing is OK to support your baby mamma and yourself....

When you consider:
    In 2018, New Orleans had 146 murders, the lowest annual murder rate since 1971.[6] Other violent crimes in 2018 also experienced a drop from previous years. New Orleans had the highest murder rate of any major American city in 2000 (42.1 per 100,000 people) 2001 (44.0 per 100,000) 2002 (53.1 per 100,000) 2003 (57.7 per 100,000) 2004 (56.0 per 100,000) 2006 (70 per 100,000) 2007 (81 per 100,000) 2008 (63.6 per 100,000) 2009 (52 per 100,000) 2010 (51 per 100,000) and 2011 {57.6 per 100,000} as well.

According to a study by The Washington Post, the city of New Orleans has 14 zones with high homicide rates and low arrest rates. It includes areas in New Orleans East, Ninth Ward and 7th Ward. Data from the New Orleans Police Department found last year only 36.9 percent of homicides were solved. So far this year, that number is even lower— 31.7 percent.(From June, 2018)

"You’re looking at less than a coin flip chance that any given murder would be solved," said Asher. "It’s a depressing reality in a lot of cities."

Just one of any Demo cites that are and have turning into festering cesspits of crime and drug use...and all that goes with it. Now, add in that police have been instructed to only arrest and hold from Class A felony and the perfect storm is brewing under the pandemic

6. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

90216473_1352997821572916_1708568162494054400_n.

Tully Mars, mysterymet, SB21 and 10 others like this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I don't think people truly value their unalienable rights until they are needed. For a very long time the majority of Americans have lived in a peaceful society where they saw little need for their own immediate defense and that of their loved ones. They have been brainwashed to think that the tool is responsible and taught to fear it. Not only did they avoid firearms but supported those who would disarm everyone else. Reality for many of them has set in.

I'm seeing a definite shift from my middle-left friends on gun rights. The friend mentioned above was a total big government person just a few months ago. The things she is seeing right now have snapped her out of the media induced dream and she sees the world a bit more clearly. Now she is grateful that she lives in a state where she could buy her pistol face to face and not have to wait on government approval. I do wish she had brought the subject up before she bought what she did and I would have advised her differently and at least gone over the pros and cons of different pistol, rifle and shotgun types, but it's her choice. She is at least open to getting local instruction and enough range time in to be comfortable and competent.

8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

See, I LOVE these discussions, It makes people think, and it makes them think about their situations and their choices, and it asks the really hard questions we all SHOULD be thinking about!
    Ultimately, I hope this is all just a bad dream we all wake up from unharmed!
    Sadly, Things are going to probably get worse before they get better, so I wish every one well, and pray things pass you by untouched!

9. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I dug up enough Lt Col Jeff Cooper quotes to start a new thread, but I wanted to share this one.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."

-- Jeff Cooper

I've seen the situation almost weekly for years where someone buys a pistol, shoots it once, and decides they despise it. Trade it in, buy another, repeat. I know there are people out there with a Ruger LCR in .357 Magnum that have never fired the thing. I've fired one once, along with the owner and another much larger shooter. None of us had any desire to fire a second shot. The whole gun and ammo buying thing is cyclical, and will pass. Until it does, it's best to stick to the buy low and never sell strategy.

10. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Frankly, I'd a whole lot prefer if these discussions rated second page news (or higher) in the weekly fish wrappers and paid for news print. (Wouldn't be bad on the TV and internet media as well.) Here, we preach to the choir and now and then see and cheer fate twisting in the hot breeze of circumstance among the sheep.

11. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Good illustration of a man who isn't familiar with firearms (and can't shoot) and one who is. (Watch the guy who clears the rifle.)

Ura-Ki, SB21, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  12. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

So agree with this! Last year at comiccon we were in line, hubby had to run back to the car, so I was a bit ahead of him in line. They asked my kids and I if any of us were armed, bored looking guard actually walked past us while I said yes. Dude disarmed people behind me but not me. I guess he just couldn't imagine that I was carrying (even though, I did tell him). Bonus? Older guy behind me leaned back to my husband (but the guy didn't know he was my husband) and whispered, "Oh my GAWD, women with guns are hot, right?"

STANGF150, wideym, Tully Mars and 5 others like this.
  13. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

More and more of the unwashed heathen are finding their way to sites like this now days though.

Seepalaces, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Haven’t seen a large uptick in Newbies here recently, so far... maybe it will come as more folks “ Shelter in Place”...

Seepalaces, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

SM is not exactly the best known of the prepper, homesteader, survivalist type sites. Probably why it is more down to earth and practical than the bigger more well known and attended sites.

16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

There seems a small uptick.

17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The hole should already be dug.

18. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I saw a video like that where the guy was shooting at a refrigerator ,, and the refrigerator door came flying back at him ,, another guy shot at a lawnmower , and a part of the mower flew back at him , and he actually lost his leg over from the incident .

Seepalaces, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  19. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Stupidity is quite prevalent in the military too, you just dont hear of it or see it on youtube all that often!
    Got a emergency alert and call out while stateside, apparently one of the snakes was clowning around with some serious live ammo and managed to blow his fricking hand and most of his lower arm off! You should have seen the look on his face when we stripped him battle nude and loaded him up for the flight to the civilian E.R! He had that look of "Oh Shit, i think I realy fucked up", and one of the other medics kind of laughed and said "it ain't gonna grow back" to which i would have laughed and even agreed, but I had to bust him for it none the less! Thats one day I could have skipped and the world wouldnt have noticed!

20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

People that shoot at metal objects should understand the risk of blowback, and distances involved... Most do not, and it bites them in the A$$, on occasion... Shooting at Energetic Materials is even more dangerious, and idiots that do it, tend to use more than needed, because the want a BIGGER Boom... Dumb & Dumber, than a Box of Rocks, they have for a Brain....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7