Why can't we edit tags?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oil pan 4, Jun 22, 2016.

?
  1. Yes.

2. No! thats crazy talk! Treason!

3. Whats a tag? (don't know)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

[ROFL][ROFL][ROFL][ROFL]

Ganado likes this.
  2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Who you calling a trained monkey.......

[​IMG]

Busted.... trained monkey in action ;)

[​IMG]

biglaff

Ganado, Motomom34 and Tully Mars like this.
  3. duane

duane Monkey+++

Yes and only if his organ grinder approves. The monkey has to share the change with the "human"?

Motomom34, Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Either way, you're dealing with a lot of hot air......:rolleyes:

5. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Lucky you...it made my brain itch...

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Nice pocket protector @Yard Dart ....... :ROFLMAO:

That is interesting, I wonder why our system doesn't give an error vs. just a blank. I think could be beneficial to new members if they did get an error or some message. I am unsure if our system can do that. @sec_monkey

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    Ganado and Tully Mars like this.
  7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Ganado, Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  8. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Misspelling and incorrect word usage can get to be misleading, whether merely in a post or in a tag.
    PMing a mod if an additional tag is needed seems a reasonable and workable method to an end.

Now fix your darned tie!:lol:

Motomom34, Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Well, seems it does. Search on EMP gets me this --- (Wasn't sure, had to try--)
    Search Results for Query: emp
    1. The search could not be completed because the search keywords were too short, too long, or too common.

10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

tags1.

In the upper right of the forum, you will find the search bar. Click on MORE for an advanced search.

tags2.
    Once you are there, click on SEARCH TAGS to conduct your search. I typed in 'EMP' and a drop down appeared as soon as I began typing, showing me all of the available tags possible I can choose. I could also click on any of the top 200 most popular tags if I choose.

tags3.

As we can see, there are numerous threads on this subject. We are always updating the tags database by adding new threads, too. If you ever have an issue, feel free to start a private conversation with a moderator or ask in the shoutbox on the front page. The tagging system has come a long way, and it is always being improved upon.

For more information, also see: Did You Know? Forum Tips and Tricks (New) | Survival Monkey Forums

11. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  12. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

[​IMG]

13. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

If I were to do that, the staff would want to put me in front of a wall and have me shot...

... or worse.

Just in the resources I have been adding, I could have logged a LOT of tags that I would like added to the list.

With that said, I do appreciate and understand not letting members tag, due to misspellings.

A nice option, if possible, would be to have a list of the tags available to use, especially for those of us who do like adding them. Tags really help when searching.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Um, I do need a lesson in voting in polls, where we cannot change our options. I just voted "Yes.", when my intent was to vote "No! thats crazy talk! Treason!". So, current poll results should be 4, 6, and 1, respectively. In my defense, I am a blonde.

14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Yes, I noticed you have started to tag the resources you have been downloading. Much appreciated.[beer] Send me a list of the tags that you wish the site to have.

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  15. Asia-Off-Grid

Actually, I haven't started a list, yet. I will try to remember the ones I attempted to use, but were unable to do so. I will also work on a list and get it to you. Thank you, very much.

As a note, I have made it a point to tag every resource I have added. I know that is pretty important, just as is adding the banner and link to each resource, in order to help generate support for the site.

Just trying to give back some of what the site has given to me, over my time as a member here.

Motomom34, Brokor and Yard Dart like this.
  16. ghrit

Please bear in mind that there are over 200 tags already existing. I have to think it's possible to have too many for anything approaching ready reference. Not to say we should not add a few if needed.

17. Asia-Off-Grid

Perhaps some have never been used, which could be deleted / removed from the list? Not exactly sure how you would go about determining this, except to do a search with each tag - quite a bit of work.

Um, ghrit, is there a way to print, post, or otherwise show the list of current tags?

I do have to agree, though, with the concept of preset tags to use.

18. ghrit

The only way I know is to clik on trending tags down the right side of the main page; that will show the "Most Popular 200". As to which of the most popular we actually have/use, I dunno. I've a mental problem with tags (for one thing, I take a squint at about every post so whatever the tag tells me is immaterial) so haven't looked into it at all. Brokor and Motomom34 are the resident tagging experts. I agree that an index of some kind would be useful; but in truth there may be one I don't know about.

19. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

TAGS: Search Tags | Survival Monkey Forums
    Although it only shows the top 200, you can search any tag from there. The text box will auto-fill with anything close that you type (at least two letters).

As for "how many" tags are appropriate for a website... the more, the better. Just don't use too many for each thread, that's the key. I say keep it under 10, which we've been doing without problem. Tagging doesn't work like ordinary search engines, which is why I love using them so much. You do want to be as descriptive as possible without over-doing it. Although it's true we don't need 2,543 different ways to say "bug out bag", it is important to separate and distinguish key portions of a post or thread with something unique. For example, I may have a bug out bag which pertains only to Navy Seal operations, so I would tag my thread with the "navy seal bug out bag" tag.

Typically, staff understands all of this and at least I do try to tag as best as I can. Truth be told, the tagging system is only as good as we make it, and the more who use it, the better. You can ask any moderator to tag your thread, even if you don't know what to use as a tag. This is usually the best option since we're going to discern if it's a good tag or not anyway.

Here's some useful information:
    From Best Practices For Using Categories And Tags In WordPress | Elegant Themes Blog
    Tags: DOs and DON’Ts
    Use tags like the index of your blog.

1. DO use tags liberally. A tag doesn’t need to be a summary of the entire post; it could describe just one section. If it can be applied to more than one post, go ahead and create a tag for it.
    2. DO have fun with tags. Unlike with categories, which users depend on more for navigation, you can play around a bit more with tags. Try using longer phrases, hashtags, quotes, jokes; as long as they fulfill their purpose of linking like posts together and helping readers navigate your site.
    3. DO use descriptive tags that can stand on their own and still be clear. For example, an ecommerce website would be better off using the tag “programmable coffee makers” instead of just “programmable.” Think about the permalinks and anchor text for internal links you’re creating and how search engines will understand them.
    4. DON’T capitalize tags. It’s common practice to capitalize categories, but use lowercase for tags. This isn’t required, and by no means universal, but it’s fairly standard and helps to maintain the distinction between the taxonomies for you and your readers.
    5. DON’T create a tag that only applies to one post. Tags shouldn’t be toospecific (for instance, a duplicate of the post title). The purpose of tags is to link related posts together, not just label them.
    6. DON’T use tags that are just duplicates of your categories. They’re already linked together, so there’s no purpose to this. Tags should be more specific than categories.
    7. DON’T use too many tags (for each thread). How many tags are enough? Again, there’s no right answer for every blog. You’ll find answers all over the place, from 2-3 per post, to 30 or more. Just try to be consistent for each post, and keep in mind that each tag you create will generate a new archive page on your website— how useful will that page be? If you have a very large amount of posts, you may want to consider getting rid of or merging tags that only link 2 or 3 posts.
    Also, dirkadirkamohammadjihad | Survival Monkey Forums

[LMAO]

20. Asia-Off-Grid

[ditto] [bestpost] Great reply, Brokor.

10 is the magic number I set on my forums, prior to turning them over to new owners.

Personally, I try to use up to about 6 tags, typically. It really depends on the subject of the post, resource, etc. I have seen where one or two were quite suitable for the topic. Sometimes, though, I can only sort tags that may be close to what I need, rather than specifically what I need.

I do wish I had written down the tags I tried to use, but weren't on the existing list. I may figure them out again, and may not. But, I will try to come up with some that would be beneficial here. The issue of asking to add more tags to the list didn't actually cross my mind, until I found this thread.

Folks, do feel free to add, change, delete, or whatever is necessary, any tags I have added to my threads and resources. I'm all for any tags that are more topic focused.

Yard Dart, Brokor and ghrit like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7