Why dimes?

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by JadedGray, Jan 30, 2011.

1. JadedGray

JadedGray Monkey+

Greetings all. I just started buying "junk silver". My first two purchases were pre-65 quarters, my last was Franklin halves. I have noticed that allot of people suggest buying dimes. I was wondering why? I figure that as long as they are 90% silver the quarters would be practical for spending purposes in a post shtf scenario. So my question is why dimes? Wouldn't quarters or halves be more practical and easier to handle?

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I buy all denominations.

I think a lot of people like dimes as they are the smallest 'junque' denomination. If I have a can of coke that I'm selling for $1, but have no change and all you have is a $100 bill, that coke might cost you $100.

It's the same reason I've paid a little extra for 1/10th oz Gold American Eagles to have some gold 'change'

3. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

[ditto]................

4. JadedGray

JadedGray Monkey+

Thanks, I guess it makes cents... (I know, I know, it was horrible :rolleyes:)

5. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

yeah if you have a hundred dollars worth of either dimes, quarters or halves, you have the same quantity of silver and the same weight overall. The only difference is how small the individual pieces are. They would all three melt into the exact same puddle, you couldn't tell them apart. Only the old Morgan and Peace dollars are different, that puddle would be bigger, but made of exactly the same alloy.

6. cornmonkey

cornmonkey Monkey+

At the local stock market some are asking up to $8.00 for one dime, come on give me a break. This a coin that you can tell it's a dime but defaced so bad, lord do ya reckon some are really paying that. If you are selling gold they will burn ya azz up if ya are buying it watch out. Some are taking advantage of the scare bad, the sad part is some are falling into it. I,am willing to give market value Plus a little within reason. This is just plain robbery. Be careful out there to many want to take advantage of the way things are these days.

7. ISplatU

ISplatU Monkey+

Maybe it is the fact that they know it is going up, and they really do not want to part with them unless they get alot for them.
    Just a thought.

8. neversaydie

neversaydie Monkey+

I first heard of saving dimes in Rawles book, TEOTWAWKI
    I believe you can buy dimes by the pound?
    I inherited many silver dollars so I guess I would use them if it came to that.
    Maybe I can ask them to throw something else in the deal for the xtra silver!

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Great GrandMa's Sterling Silver Flatware is another good Ace in the Hole, for those folks that have some....

10. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

with the nice application of chemistry and heat, Sterling can be refined to pure .999 silver. However, barring that, coin silver spoons (90% silver by weight, like pre-1964 coinage), and sterling (.925 silver) are also large caches of spendable/barter silver.

11. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

there are some flea-bay sellers who like that approach, but I can't see it as anything other than an attempt to trick you into spending too much. Are they troy pounds (12 troy ounces), or 16 standard ounces? They won't tell you. And how does that work out in any measure real people use? I want to know how many dollars in face value you're selling. That's the only measure that makes any sense with junk.

12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

From wiki

The troy ounce (ozt) is a unit of imperial measure. In the present day it is most commonly used to gauge the weight and therefore the price of precious metals. One troy ounce is equivalent to 31.1034768 grams. There are 32.1507466 troy oz in 1 kg.
    The troy ounce is part of the troy weights system derived from the Roman monetary system. The Romans used bronze bars of varying weights as currency. An aes grave weighed equal to 1 pound. One twelfth of an aes grave was called an uncia, or in English an "ounce". Later standardization would change the ounce to 1/16 of a pound (the avoirdupois ounce), but the troy ounce, which is 1/12 of a troy pound (note that a troy pound is lighter than an avoirdupois pound), has been retained for the measure of precious metals. At 480 grains, the troy ounce is heavier than the avoirdupois ounce, which weighs 437.5 grains. A grain is 64.7989 milligrams (mg); hence one troy ounce is 31.1034768 grams (g) (exact by definition), about 10 percent more than the avoirdupois ounce, which is 28.349523125 g (exact)
    To maintain purity standards and common measures across time, the troy ounce was retained over the avoirdupois ounce in the weighing and pricing of gold, platinum, silver and gunpowder. Likewise, the grain, identical in both the troy and avoirdupois systems, is still used to measure arrow and arrowhead weights in archery along with projectile (bullet) and propellant (powder) weights in ballistics. The troy ounce and grain were also common to the apothecaries' system long used in medicine, but have been largely replaced by milligrams.
    +++++++++++

You can run the numbers, but you can see there is a difference that is significant if they won't tell you whether it is troy or avoirdupois. Grains is the only constant across the two systems. (7000 to the avoirdupois pound.)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7