Why do you want to survive ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by arleigh, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

My wife is gone, my children (and even my grandchildren) are grown and have made their own choice as to whether they will do what they must to survive. Yet in the face of a body that has truly lived a full life and fulfilled most of my dreams, I still find that I wish to not only survive, but continue to truly live.

In my life I have been shot 4 times in a war and once in my chosen career. I have watched my motorcycle bounce around an interstate highway while I slid on my belly after hitting a chunk of concrete on the pavement in the middle of the night after my headlight failed. I have fallen asleep at the wheel in the desert and rolled my car into the rocks and sand and I have experienced 6 myocardial infarctions...otherwise known as heart attacks, and I live to have the memories.

Every day I awaken is still a cause for celebration for me and I still want to survive anything it is possible to survive. In the past 2 weeks I have entered into yet another medical fight that is going to require everything I have (which continually becomes more limited), but I find myself more concerned with how long it is going to interfere with me living my life than about the final outcome.

I want to survive as long as I can because I like to live.

PS...Yep, Pax has been in the single malt again.

[beer]

2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Oh man...that'll be the death of you. ;)

Had a few near death close shaves myself. It sure gives one a different perspective on life, and it sure enables one to discern the things in life that are important, from the trivial and the worthless. Single malt (or its equivalent), often helps with that discernment. (y)

3. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

When I see a homeless junkie scrounging for $hit I ponder that question. They're fighting to survive too. I'd find a place to take my final nap. :(

chelloveck, Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  4. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

I've watched too many people, including several close friends, die. What do I think? I think that sometimes it's worth the effort to continue on; and other times it is not. There really are occasions and circumstances where just 'letting someone go' is the kindest thing you can do for them. You may not like it; but, even if you know it's going to haunt you for the rest of your life, it's still the greatest kindness you can offer.

My own best answer? Live as good a life as you're possibly able to; and let the future take care of itself. How a person dies is NOT as important as how he has lived! (Sooner or later we're, all, going to 'rest' in God's memory, anyway.)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  5. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Cause im to stubborn to do anything else except give the 2 finger salute to anyone that says I couldent....:p

chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

For my husband and kids. Also, because I am not ready to go yet!

7. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Sometimes it's a lot like this past election, and no I'm not trying to detail the topic. Sometimes I'm not so much trying to survive as not yet ready to die, (voting against one thing as opposed to four another) and they aren't the same thing although the end results are sometimes indistinguishable.

I believe that there is safety in numbers and that some of the knowledge or skill that I have can help keep my nuclear family alive.

It's a lot like the picture I have at my desk at work with 5 people in it. I tell people who ask, that right there is 125% of why I show up every day. Those other people, the other 4, they are the 100%. I don't work for me, I work to make sure they are taken care of. It's the responsibility I took on when I got married and that increased when we had kids and Jay because one of them spends about 75% of the year "away" at school, it doesn't absolve me of that responsibility. And when they are all grown and "on their own", I will STILL feel a certain amount of responsibility should things go sideways.

When it comes down to it, family/tribe is all ya got (including "adopted" tribesfolk).

8. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Well said, sir.

9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I will fight with the Devil and spit in his eye to save my family!

arleigh and mysterymet like this.
  10. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

^^^^ Ditto [applaud]

11. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Every day is a good day to die and I'd welcome the potential peace or the prospect of my next great adventure. My preps are for my family, not myself. I will do everything and anything I can to ensure that they not only survive, but also remain FREE.

12. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I can even agree with this...if there is a good reason for dying. The rest, not so much...there are still too many things I would like to experience on this adventure and I am not really sure there will be another. Eternal peace just seems overrated to me.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

God has assured me of my future, I have nothing to fear at judgment and the next life.
    Having set aside for others is one of the best things I think one can do .
    Years ago I had accidentally left a first aid kit on the top of the car and drove off and it was lost. It bothered me while and then I remember all the times God had provided for me in my hour of need ,so I learned to let it go, hoping that where ever it went , it did some good .
    I have lost some things, and they have come back to me in some very unusual ways . God's doing or not, I an thankful to Him in all things.

14. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I have resolved not to go quietly into the night. I will not give up without a fight. That said, when my time comes I want it to be with me in the wilderness, not a hospital bed or at he hand of someone who wants what I possess. I will survive to set an example for those who have not prepared, to teach, to pass on knowledge, to hunt, to build, to brew beer!! That is the goal....

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    oldman11, arleigh, Tully Mars and 4 others like this.
  15. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did -- in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Jack Handey :D

oldman11, Yard Dart, Meat and 5 others like this.
  16. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Been thinking on this one a bit more. Some things I don't really think would be worth surviving. Not really interested in trying to scratch out a living in a nuked out wasteland for example. Society collapsing or A big economic collapse can't see where that would be so bad. Solar flare taking out all things electronic no problem, I like the computer but it is not my life. Natural disaster EQ, or the big super Volcano devastating but there would be a end. BIG asteroid impact same as the nat disaster the dust eventually settles. Really the only one I can't see not wanting to survive would be the all out nuke exchange, just can't see where there would be any quality of life in a post nuke world. A limited exchange outside of the major dirty fall out areas probably would not be so bad, and not to sound cruel but it would eliminate a lot of potential refugees fleeing to the country.

oldman11, Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Hopefully there will be more women then men.

oldman11, Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  18. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

So in addition to trying to survive in hell you want to be nagged in stereo or worse?

19. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I like life.

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

It's not as bad as you would think.

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  1. Waydah
  2. DKR
  3. Motomom34
  4. Swedish woman