Why I don't "pledge"

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by TnAndy, Jun 15, 2021.

1. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I only have time for a very quick read, just jumped through, but my first impression is that I disagree.

"Free people have no business pledging loyalty to any government."
    When I say the the PoA, I am not pledging my loyalty to a government but to the country/nation and its people.
    Now, maybe that wasn't its intended purpose but I believe that is what it evolved into.

Anyone, my opinion and I will make time later to read it in its entirety.

marlas1too, oldawg, Gafarmboy and 3 others like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

First of all, when saying the pledge of allegiance, you are not pledging anything TO a government, but to an American Ideal, and to your fellow citizens, your affirming your beliefs in our flag and what it represents, and our representative republic. You are recognizing that We the People are united together under a single symbol of freedom and that we celebrate that freedom every day! We are also pledging to each other that we will stand together no matter the challenges we face!

4. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

You're pledging the Union is "indivisible"....the exact opposite of the Declaration of Independence. Seems to me you either believe in the fundamental right of self determination, or the pledge against it.

5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I had never heard of this story . I can see your point TnAndy ,, and valid as well ,, but I'm more along with Bandit and Ura-ki ,, when I say the PoA ,, it's for my country, the ideals of freedoms, an indivisible people protecting those freedoms that that Flag represents ,, the men and women lost fighting for that Flag and freedoms it represents. Anytime I've ever recited the PoA ,, I never thought about my government,, but have thought many times of the men I fought beside , that lost their lives because of that government. But the next time I say the PoA ,, it may bring a different meaning now ,, but , we'll see.

Elessar and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Indivisible in the context of the P.o.A. simply states that WE the PEOPLE cannot/will not be divided, nor will our Union of Several States!

Elessar, SB21 and Bandit99 like this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I took an OATH when I became a FED… That is my oath and pledge… and it has never been rescinded or denied…
    I do NOT Pledge alliegence to ANY Flag… Only to the upholding of the Constitution on the United States of America… and since I am, and never was, part of the Military, I am not bound by the UCMJ, either, or to any Civilian Employee of my Former Federal Agency, as I no longer am in their employ… My Clearances have all expired, by decades, so no strings on those accounts either… Just my Word and Personal Integrity…

TnAndy, SB21, Ura-Ki and 1 other person like this.
  8. Bandit99

Ah! I see, that is the gist of your disagreement... Well, the Declaration of Independence was simply a document stating we don't live under Britain anymore and are free to determine our own destiny which we did by creating the United States. I am not knocking its impact nor its power nor its place in history but it beautifully articulates basic freedoms inherited by God which our country is based upon to include self-determination, every man/woman is equal under its laws as we are equal in the eyes of God and have all God given rights as men.

You're stating that by pledging loyalty to the country that you no longer have the right of self-determination. But, you do because the country and its people ensure you do because that is how the country is built, its laws, policies and beliefs. The country is 'indivisible' as its will, it's strength, it's people cannot be broken - yet - your basic right of self-determination can be exercised at anytime allowing you to leave the country as a free man. The country cannot force you to stay. I do understand how a Southern could cringe at the use of the word 'indivisible' but I truly don't believe it's being used in this manner, at least, not in the PoA.

I am stating that our country is based on self-determination and by pledging our loyalty we as group ensure all of us continue to have these fundamental rights...for you certainly cannot ensure it by yourself. It took 13 states (colonies) to force the issue the first time.

Anyway, I regard the PoA as our oath to stand with our countrymen, in our country, to ensure our rights are not taken from us and states as much with..."and to the Republic for which it stands...with liberty and justice for all."

Gafarmboy, Ura-Ki and mysterymet like this.
  9. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I don’t need to pledge. I took an oath.

10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Exactly!
    I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

SB21 and mysterymet like this.
  11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hm. Well, I took an oath and would repeat it and the PoA as and whenever needed. Being gray sometimes calls for doing and saying things to avoid attracting attention and opportunities for arguments. That's just me.

12. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I'm a die-hard Rebel and I have a problem with that "indivisible" part 'cause one of these days this nation is gonna come apart like a cheap suit, and then the South is gonna rise again! We already got a flag and everything!

SB21, Dark Wolf, Bandit99 and 3 others like this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I'm a be right there with ya, being Texian and all, and we got our own flag, no need to get fancy!
    [​IMG]

SB21 and Bandit99 like this.
  14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Divide and conquer,
    sound familiar?

SB21, ghrit and Ura-Ki like this.
  15. Bandit99

LOL! "OH I'M A GOOD OLE REBEL THAT'S JUST WHAT I AM...." I think when it does come apart, and I believe it will, there will be numerous people ready and willing to join you. Most folks are so fed up with the way things are going that they would join now if given half a chance. I would. I ask damn little from our government, justice, a level playing field, a fair shake and to continue our beliefs but don't even get that anymore. All we get is double-talk, lies, higher taxes and told we are 'white privilege' and/or racists...I wonder when they will stop us from voting?...Wait! They have already done that by fiddling the vote. So, sign me up. I'm ready.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    Dark Wolf and Ura-Ki like this.
  16. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

That song pretty much expresses how this Southerner, and others, feel! Hell, I like it better than Dixie!

Ura-Ki and Bandit99 like this.
  17. Bandit99

I must admit it's one of my favorites also and was singing it all day today...to myself of course, don't need the neighbor shooting at me thinking I'm a bobcat. :)

Strange considering it is so old that's it's still around, and it's lyrics still express the deep feelings of resentment and pure hatred that he felt then and carries through to us today.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  18. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

It was years after I got out of the military before I would say the pledge, or even make it look like I was by placing my hand on my chest. Now I only do it for folks that might not understand. I took an oath!

19. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

The only oath that I have ever given was to the Confederate States of America at Camp Rusk in northern Texas. I was a re-enactor in the 9th Texas Inf. Reg't., and the occasion was the 140th swearing-in of the 9th Texas...to the place, day and hour!

Ura-Ki and SB21 like this.
  20. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

When you have taken an oath you stand at attention!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7