Why I own firearms

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Modus Operandi, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I like mechanisms and how they work. The variety of gun mechanisms both passive and active is nigh endless.

Clocks are cool devices too but listening to tick tock and waiting all day to check accuracy just doesn't do it for me compared to......[YD]

Ura-Ki and Seawolf1090 like this.
  2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@duane "As the lady said, it is too late to change things by voting and to early to change it with arms..."
    A very simply and true statement, directly to the heart of it. Who said this?

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Another good reason is handloading. Just like any other technical hobby it takes clear thinking, precision and care. The end result is testing them at the range, checking accuracy and consistency. It's as valid a sport as Golf, and is relaxing and fun.
    Self defense is always a valid use too. Calling 911 is whatvyou do after the perp is stopped, not as he's breaking in. Cops just do not respond in time. My personal safety is my responsibility. A cellphone won't do that.

4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While the Admiral is misquoted on this...it is truer than not. I made use of this 'fact' in my last book, The Fisher People.

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and Zimmy like this.
  5. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

I own firearms because the right of self defense is a natural right all humans get by being born. The 2nd amendment makes an attempt to codify that right, but even if it were overturned, my right to do whatever is required to stop an attempt of harm doesn't go away.

Gator 45/70, Seawolf1090 and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Because I can, and not because of a piece of paper! God gave us all the gift of life, and we are expected to use that gift as long as possible, do something good with it, make your mark! God didn't say it was a gun that I could use, it was intended that I should be able to choose what ever tool I wished to defend my Gift of Life! Rock, Stick, Hammer, Gun, F-250, What ever I have close at hand, and God didn't lay down restrictions, God didn't said "Ura-Ki, you cannot use that AR-15, because that's only for the military" No, it was said I could "Keep and Bear Arms" in the defense of self and state! I wish to be left alone to make my own choices in how best to do what I need and wish, I do not need some high and mighty person to tell me what the 2nd says, how He/She interprets it and then places their limits on said! No where in all the Constitution or Bill of Rights does it ever say, We reserve the right to limit or revoke, it says in fact, We Hold These Truths To Be Self Evident, That All Men Are Created Equal" it also says "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness" and then later we see the final arbitration that says "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" meaning that no voice or influence of MAN may make this document or any part there of, invade! It is my Undeniable Right under the Natural Laws of the Creator to protect my gift of life, and the 2nd is my Concealed Carry Permit! There are no restrictions, no compromises, or limits placed on me or my right to protect my self or to feed my self and my family contained any where in the Bill of Rights, so, I cast out any Infringements to all of it! I like many of you, I swore an Oath to protect and defend the constitution against any enemy foreign or domestic, and I also have to power and right to ignore any law that is unconstitutional, and I have to right to speak out and challenge any law and seek redress against it! There is no limit to that as well, and the 2nd insures my voice WILL be heard, or the next sound heard will be much louder and carry a much bigger message to those who would stand against the constitution! I Refuse to live on my knees, a subject under a master who rules over me and demands fealty! I refuse to surrender my gift of life unchallenged, and I refuse to pass on a legacy I would not live under!

Awaken Cold Iron, Awaken!

7. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

OR?

there is one... but... it's costly...

8. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

a917eca7e30605f0.

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3, Zimmy and 2 others like this.
  9. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

a2513308b5fe5e8d.

10. Bandit99

Damn Brother, we have got to get you into politics! You make this speech, exactly how you wrote it, and you'll wake up elected! LOL! And, you are absolutely right! They can yada-yada-yada all they want but in bold print it says "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED". Let them try, says me. Let them stop running their mouths and try something... I'm fed up with their big mouths.

11. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

d679424a9d2cfb48.

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and 3M-TA3 like this.
  12. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

7BD1943F-6ED9-49DF-A917-5E7159F15FF7.

Gator 45/70, oldawg, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  13. duane

duane Monkey+++

Claire Wolfe said it in the opening lines of 101 things to do til the revolution. America is at that awkward stage. It is too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe: 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution Not shilling for the book, but I like her sense of the world and her out look on it

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  14. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

2BFA9085-4031-419E-A3A4-EB6F6FE99209.

15. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

B326EB52-B68A-455E-AD8E-0CFA8E0F698B.

16. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

What guns? You guys have guns?

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and oldawg like this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I'm converting to drones.

18. Bandit99

Thanks! I will look into getting it! Crap! It's only in paperback!

EDIT: Well, it looks like I will not be reading her anytime in the near future as she is only in paperback. I stopped purchasing paperbacks years ago for good reasons, mainly because I couldn't haul my books around the world with me. I seldom purchase anything in hard or soft cover anymore since I am a book junkie and simply don't have the space to store them. Maybe I can find her in the library. Thanks again!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and HK_User like this.
  19. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

It's over at internet archive in several formats.

Gator 45/70 and Bandit99 like this.
  20. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

With me it goes back to my youth and Dad taking us hunting as a family. I was in grade school, so I just followed along and learned. In camp we would shoot the family bolt action 22 for target practice. Some of my older brothers already had their own families and would meet us at the hunting camp. Good days and we looked forward to it every year.

My oldest brother had bought a Winchester 70 in 264 Win Magnum. Don't know what year it was but do know it was pre-64. Mechanically all I could say was wow! The first thing I ever saw that fully merged art and engineering. He and his best friend had the exact same rifle and were outstanding marksmen. Dad had a surplus 6.5x55 he had bought and then refinished the stock so it shone. I liked that rifle, too, but the Model 70 had so much more refinement as a sporter. 6.5x55 is still my favorite round. Low recoil, flat shooting, outstanding accuracy potential, and a 140 grain bullet will kill any game in North America. No, not what I would take to Alaskan Brownie country, but it gets the job done without making a fuss.

I enjoy the connection between making my own ammunition and the rifle. When I use my own rounds I feel more connected and thinking of the work and preparation I put in I put my all into every shot.

When I turned 12 I got a lot more interested in shooting and Dad reloaded to save a few bucks. I have an interest in anything mechanical, so reloading fascinated me. I started asking Dad if I could deprime and resize the brass. Sure thing he says and I follow the instructions from a 1960 or maybe even 50's Speer manual. I get that done and ask if I can trim and chamfer. He knows I have great attention to detail, so he keeps letting me take each step satisfied that I'm doing it right. Before I knew it I had completed the rounds which we later used. To me the mechanics and physics was a real draw, as were the rifles themselves. Until I built my first AR a few years ago virtually all the centerfire ammunition I've used was loaded by myself starting with new brass.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7