Why learn Morse code?

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by DKR, Dec 10, 2017.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I see the use of CW as allowing low power (QRP) operation away from the house. A plus is simple equipment. For some time, my primary CW rig was the MFJ-9200.
    [​IMG]

OTOH, with a NUE-PSK modem, you can use an existing SSB rig for PSK-31 - and the same set of paddles used fr CW. I have one of these for my existing FT-817.
    [​IMG]
    I just added a 300Hz mechanical filter and it made a world of improvement for both CW and PSK-31.

I went one further and picked up a Elecraft KX-2 - it will do SSB, CW (with a really nice adj filter) - and as a native mode that will do PSK-31 and RTTY using the paddles for input.

I now believe PSK-31 aces out CW for low power/high noise - and the newer FT-8 based modes do even better. These newer digital mode require a PC of some sort, where the KX-2 has everything in the software.
    KX2 Transceiver

Do a search using "SOTA" to see some really great videos of folks working from a mountaintop with minimal gear....

Dunno about the Zombie Apocalypse, but working DX out of a backpack with a small rig, a wire antenna and a set of paddles is great fun.
    Like this -

100mW QRPp SSB SOTA Activation (EA8/LA-010) - Самые популярные видео

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Motomom34 likes this.
  2. I'm don't have enough knowledge on the subject to give input here. But I do have 2 printable cards that could be of use to those who wish to learn code. so here they are. just save pic. and print. morse code in 1 minute. morsecode.

Motomom34 likes this.
  3. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

you're not going to learn to send or receive code from that. you could take a half hour to decode something once, but you're not learning. I like this
    Just Learn Morse Code

Motomom34 likes this.
  4. familycoyote

familycoyote Monkey

cw works always special in difficult situations when propagation is poor you can make contacts in cw and with less rf power we can make contacts.

1. Cruisin Sloth
  2. phorisc
  3. OldDude49
  4. Bishop
  5. Bishop
    [img] [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Feb 7, 2019, 6 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  6. chelloveck
  7. Bishop
    Though you may like this. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 29, 2018, 1 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  8. Bishop