Why Mike Huckabee scares me

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Minuteman, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I thought this was very interesting. Tho I think the author woefully underestimates Ron Paul. I have friends in Arkansas and they have nothing good to say about Huckabee. Another globalist elite, (according to them).

WHO'S EXTREME?
    'MAINSTREAM' HUCKABEE VS. LIBERTARIAN PAUL

November 24, 2007 -- AS the hopeless but energetic presidential campaign of Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) builds momentum in name recognition, fundraising and cross-ideology appeal, some conservatives are beginning to attack him in earnest.

A GOP consultant condemns Paul's "increasingly leftish" positions. Syndicated columnist Mona Charen calls Paul "too cozy with kooks and conspiracy theorists." Film critic and talk-radio host Michael Medved looks over Paul's supporters and finds "an imposing collection of neo-Nazis, white supremacists, Holocaust deniers, 9/11 'truthers' and other paranoid and discredited conspiracists."

For the most part, these allegations strike me as overblown and unfair. But, for argument's sake, let's say they're not. Let's even say that Paul has the passionate support of the Legion of Doom, that his campaign lunchroom looks like the "Star Wars" cantina, and that his top advisors have hooves instead of feet.

Well, I'd still find him less scary than Mike Huckabee.

While many are marveling at Paul's success at breaking out of the tinfoil-hat ghetto, Huckabee's story is even more remarkable. The former Arkansas governor and Baptist minister is polling in second place in Iowa and could conceivably win there. He's still a long shot to take the nomination and a pipe dream to take the presidency, but Huckabee matters in a way that Paul still doesn't.

One small indicator of Huckabee's relevance: His presidential opponents are attacking Huckabee while ignoring Paul like he's an eccentric sitting too close to you on the bus.

What's so scary about Huckabee? Personally, nothing. He seems a charming, decent, friendly, pious man.

What's troubling about The Man From Hope 2.0 is what he represents. Huckabee represents compassionate conservatism on steroids.

A devout social conservative on issues such as abortion, school prayer, homosexuality and evolution, Huckabee's a populist on economics, a fad-follower on the environment and an all-around do-gooder who believes that the biblical obligation to do "good works" extends to using government - and your tax dollars - to bring us closer to the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth.

For example, Huckabee would support a nationwide ban on public smoking. Why? Because he's on a health kick, thinks smoking is bad and believes the government should do the right thing.

And therein lies the chief difference between Paul and Huckabee: One is a culturally conservative libertarian; the other is a right-wing progressive.
    Whatever shortcomings Paul and his friends might have, his dogma generally renders those shortcomings irrelevant. He is a true ideologue in that his personal preferences are secondary to his philosophical principles. When asked what his position is, he generally responds that his position can be deduced from the text of the Constitution. Of course, that's not as dispositive as he thinks it is. But you get the point.

As for Huckabee - as with most politicians, alas - his personal preferences matter enormously because, ultimately, they're the only things that can be relied on to constrain him.

In this respect, Huckabee's philosophy is conventionally liberal, or progressive. What he wants government to do certainly differs in important respects from what Hillary Clinton wants, but the limits he would place on governmental do-goodery are primarily tactical or practical, not philosophical or constitutional.

This isn't to say he - or Hillary - is a would-be tyrant, but simply to note that the progressive notion of the state as a loving, caring parent is becoming a bipartisan affair.

But there's something weird going on when Paul, the small-government constitutionalist, is considered the extremist in the Republican Party, while Huckabee, the statist, is the lovable underdog.

It's even weirder because it's probably true: Huckabee is much closer to the mainstream. And that's what scares me about Huckabee and the mainstream alike.

2. Evenglischatiest

Evenglischatiest Monkey+++

I was starting to wonder about Huckabee's position on smoking. I thought I once saw a clip of him supporting a ban on cigarettes, but I've seen nothing about it since. I guess my memory wasn't faulty. There's a first time for everything.

Personally, supporting a cigarette ban, by itself, is enough to keep me from voting for him. It just shows what he thinks the scope of the government's power should be.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Let's think a second. How would RP respond to a question on banning cigarettes?

"Well, I'm an MD, so I know it's not good for you, but the Constitution does not give me the power to regulate how you treat your lungs. No ban."

Mikey, on the other hand, seems to want to use his beliefs "for the greater good" of you and yours. Not on my watch, not even if he gets the nomination, and the hildebeest gets the nod from the democruds. It's write in time.

BTW, I smoke, and may the heavens cover your patoot if you get between me and my morning cuppa and coffin nail.

4. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

[coffee2]the other drug...Same here, gots to have a steady drink, fill, repeat...good thing I "only" have a "10 cups" carafe...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7